Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, the decision to not prompt everyone for a new password was made on purpose.

[W]e’re only going to prompt members to create new passwords if their existing ones don’t meet the new requirements of being a minimum of eight characters, including at least one letter and one number.
Doesn't help if you don't remember your old password, of course, but that is what United wanted it to be. I guess the moral of the story is make sure you know or reset your PW before doing the 5 questions.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Is there anyway to change the answers to your security questions? These questions were so bizarre, I have already forgotten my answers.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by sbm12
...........I guess the moral of the story is make sure you know or reset your PW before doing the 5 questions.
Which would have been helpful for United to add to your quoted text above.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Feb 12, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Too much flying last year! Like forgetting which floor you parked the car on.

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Is there anyway to change the answers to your security questions? These questions were so bizarre, I have already forgotten my answers.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Who makes up these inane questions?

Blindly, I set and answered the 5 security questions. Honestly, who remembers the color of their house growing up? White? Umm... gray? I never noticed? Do you remember what fruit or vegetable you enjoyed when you were young?

Having said that, changing my password was not painful. I am glad to get rid of the 4 digit PIN.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:48 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi everyone,

A few of you have posted regarding setting up a new password and why you’re not seeing a prompt to create one.

You’ll only be prompted to create a new password if your existing password doesn’t already meet the requirements of being a minimum eight characters including at least one letter and one number.

Here are some tips that may come in handy if you do need to create a new password:
• The password should have a minimum of eight characters, including at least one letter and one number.
• Ideally, it should be a combination of letters, numbers and special characters.
• The password should not be easy to guess and should be different than passwords used for accounts on other websites.

If your password meets these criteria, all you need to do is to select your five security questions and provide answers.

Once you update your account with a strong password and security questions, you'll no longer be able to use your PIN to sign in.

Please review our updated post here.

Last edited by UA Insider; Feb 23, 2016 at 10:36 am Reason: Provided update to most recent post
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Worked fine for me. My old password was already compliant.

My only complaint is that the questions are too basic and probably don't provide that much added security. In my case, at least half of the questions could be answered if someone simply Googled me, and I don't even have a Facebook page where I blab about such things.

I hope, whenever UA requires someone to answer the questions, a minimum of three or four correct answers is required rather than just one question/answer.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I never had a password only a PIN, wasn't given an option, I could not login at all without answering the 5 questions and selecting a new password
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Who makes up these inane questions?

Blindly, I set and answered the 5 security questions. Honestly, who remembers the color of their house growing up? White? Umm... gray? I never noticed? Do you remember what fruit or vegetable you enjoyed when you were young?

Having said that, changing my password was not painful. I am glad to get rid of the 4 digit PIN.
None of the answer were brick...it was only colors
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: UAL-1K/MM, Marriott-Lifetime Platinum, SPG - Platinum
Angry ...

Just got off the phone with United.

I made the changes this morning. This afternoon, I did the "Forgot Password" and was stuck in the security question loop.

I called Web support, the first response was essentially "You are doing something wrong"..So they tried and received the same answer. Told me an email will be sent when the issues are resolved.

No timeline. I asked what to i do in the meantime to make a reservation. "Call us and get charged a fee".

The mobile app lets me see my reservation, but once i try to to anything with it, I receive "United data services not available"
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Just updated my and my wife's MP accounts security details without a problem.
5 minute job.
They even had an Australian make of car as one of the answers to the first car question.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Yup. Go into your account and "Manage your profile." Then click on "Change security questions."
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:48 pm
Suspended

The most monstrous thing about all of this is that Jack Russell Terriers didn't make the cut for "favorite dog breed."
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
No problems here setting up the password.

I agree with others on the security questions though. After the first 3 choices, I had some difficulty picking answers that were meaningful to me and I'd remember. Really silly way to do reminder questions. Hopefully I don't forget my password...ever.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ORDBound
Just got off the phone with United.

I made the changes this morning. This afternoon, I did the "Forgot Password" and was stuck in the security question loop.

I called Web support, the first response was essentially "You are doing something wrong"..So they tried and received the same answer. Told me an email will be sent when the issues are resolved.

No timeline. I asked what to i do in the meantime to make a reservation. "Call us and get charged a fee".

The mobile app lets me see my reservation, but once i try to to anything with it, I receive "United data services not available"
My Android phone installed a new version (2.1.5) of the United app yesterday which had a pop up window that said I needed to log out and log back in for it to work properly...I also was getting that "United data services" error message for a little while until I did that (although at the time I still logged in with my old PIN). I'd suggest that you update the app, logout and back in. It was fine after I did that.

One of the features of the new app version is to be able to change your password.. I just read that now..didn't pay attention yesterday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.