Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rant - UA mile uselessness on trans-ocean non-UA flights.

Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

Here's my somewhat poorly worded incoherent rant.

After being slapped with a big devaluation in early 2015?, UA mile value just seems to get worse and worse. The worst of which is married segments. I'm looking to redeem an award from IAD to Asia, really, anywhere in Asia will do, on premium cabin not on UA, and there's next to nothing! No I don't want to fly on UA 772 or connect in EWR and Pittsburg. Only some NH J (which is very good) show up on scattered dates, tucked waaaaay in the back on page 6 of award availability, and the occasional rare sighting of TK J through IST. Not to mention some time in there UA seem to have sneaked in other devaluations - for example on my PVG-NRT-IAD flight, which was 120K when booked in F originally, now randomly wants to charge 130K when changing dates. And then there are times when flying to SE Asia costs 140K for some reason. I remember the good old days when I could fly to Asia and back in F for 140K plus a stop over / openjaw.... And why is HK considered South Asia when I can fly to parts of China more southern than HK for 10K less?

It seems like now the best use of UA miles is for intra-Asia segments rather than US-Asia on non-UA metal?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Feb 11, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by TOMFORD

After being slapped with a big devaluation in early 2015?, UA mile value just seems to get worse and worse. The worst of which is married segments. I'm looking to redeem an award from IAD to Asia, really, anywhere in Asia will do, on premium cabin not on UA, and there's next to nothing! No I don't want to fly on UA 772 or connect in EWR and Pittsburg. Only some NH J (which is very good) show up on scattered dates, tucked waaaaay in the back on page 6 of award availability, and the occasional rare sighting of TK J through IST. Not to mention some time in there UA seem to have sneaked in other devaluations - for example on my PVG-NRT-IAD flight, which was 120K when booked in F originally, now randomly wants to charge 130K when changing dates. And then there are times when flying to SE Asia costs 140K for some reason. I remember the good old days when I could fly to Asia and back in F for 140K plus a stop over / openjaw.... And why is HK considered South Asia when I can fly to parts of China more southern than HK for 10K less?

It seems like now the best use of UA miles is for intra-Asia segments rather than US-Asia on non-UA metal?
Plenty of LH F in the next 2 weeks connecting to TG (to BKK). If you want to plan ahead I've never had trouble getting OZ or NH F Connecting to SE Asia
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:40 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I have to plan ahead, can't tell my boss I'm leaving on vacation in 2 weeks. I see a lot of OZ out of/into JFK, but I'm based in DC and would prefer to fly out of IAD if possible.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS

So your main complaint is that United's partners are unwilling to release award space out of the specific airport you want to fly from on the specific dates you want to fly on?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Use the sort function so you don't have to look through 6 pages.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
AFAIK, married segments on awards are only an issue on UA and LH flights.

UA does not control its partners' releases of award availability.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 11:13 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:34 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
AFAIK, married segments on awards are only an issue on UA and LH flights.

UA does not control its partners' releases of award availability.
Didn't know this ^

Originally Posted by cyborg
I've had similar issues and worked the problem by booking alternative flights that I could live with and then changing to the preferred flights when they open up close to the day of departure window. I've always been able to change to the flights I wanted. In some cases I changed to a more complex routing with additional cities/stopovers that didn't increase the cost or miles needed.

So in your case it would be possible to book the JFK OZ award and then switch to an IAD-NRT-XXX using NH/XX or IAD-FRA/MUC-XXX using LH/XX for example when those flights open up which they tend to do. You might have to adjust your departure by a day or two in the worst case, but this shouldn't impact your notice to the boss...

V/r,

-Cyborg
Good point, I could do this, but I won't have UA status next year (by then UA miles may not be worth much anyway)... I just like to have everything planned as early on as possible and not change it. Guess I'll have to learn to cope with this for better flights ^
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IAD to Asia you've really only got the UA and NH nonstop options. Everything else you're going to have to connect, either domestic or in Europe. And that adds an extra layer of difficulty finding award seats, particularly since domestic UA award availability can be pretty poor.

I am a firm believer that diligent, patient searching will be rewarded. There are still some real pearls out there (including NZ to AKL in J, for the first time in years). Don't forget the option of booking the long-haul (e.g., IAH-NRT or LAX-ICN), taking whatever you can get right now for the domestic connection, and waitlisting for the domestic connection you really want.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Good point, I could do this, but I won't have UA status next year (by then UA miles may not be worth much anyway)... I just like to have everything planned as early on as possible and not change it. Guess I'll have to learn to cope with this for better flights ^
In other words, you don't want to be a valuable customer to UA, but still expect awards that are convenient for you on their partners? Totally makes sense...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:58 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
In other words, you don't want to be a valuable customer to UA, but still expect awards that are convenient for you on their partners? Totally makes sense...
I have been loyal more than I have reaped my rewards (otherwise I wouldn't be worrying about the leftover miles). How outrageous of me to even dare to have a single word of complaint.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
I have been loyal more than I have reaped my rewards (otherwise I wouldn't be worrying about the leftover miles). How outrageous of me to even dare to have a single word of complaint.
Sounds like a case of "what have you done for me lately" as far as they're concerned
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:56 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
To summarize: You want premium cabin award space out of a specific UA hub without connecting to Trans Pac destinations on non-UA metal, not on off days, but on specific days using UA miles, whom you have abandoned.

The same request could be said about almost any carrier. We all desire the holy grail, but often have to change days, connect, or fly on a carrier that isn't our 1st choice, sometimes, even on the carrier which is has a hub where we want to fly out of, the same carrier that we earned our miles on.

To me it seems you are looking at the wrong inventory. Based on your variables and lack of flexibility, you might want to look at "revenue" vs "award" tickets. Either that, or be flexible with your variables.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to the new United

this is how UA does it. They give you miles for your flight and for your credit card use. They give up GPUs for 1k. They just don't let you use it. It's like being paid in monopoly money.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
And why is HK considered South Asia when I can fly to parts of China more southern than HK for 10K less?
1. HKG has been always classified as South Asia, even before the merger.

2. AFAIK - airlines always treat HKG by itself. HKG never mixes into China even they can be placed in the same award region.

3. Airlines are free to define countries/territories into different award regions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.