Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to Cancel/Redposit Mileage Upgrade? Fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Cancel/Redposit Mileage Upgrade? Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by docbert
Don't make it any easier to stomach, but at least consider the fact that if you had actually booked and paid for a business class ticket, then your fee to cancel the ticket would have been at least $400.

ie, you still got off for less than if you'd actually bought a business class ticket.
This would be true for deeply discounted business class tickets exUSA, but there are also some business class fares offered by UA that are fully refundable.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ani90
Can anyone provide a link on this to the original thread or maybe mods move this over?
I found this thread from 2011 in the legacy Mileage Plus forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-t-clear.html
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
We should all by now know what happens when one assumes...one shouldn't do that, especially when the item has anything to do with the airline industry.

Not sure how AA/DL handle this, but UA considers these awards, just the same as redeeming award seat on a flight, and the same fees apply.

And to be correct, note the $100 fee is a redeposit fee, not a change fee. They are different. Note that if you chose to not redeposit the miles in the account, you would not have been charged the fee. Also note that if you did a paid buyup rather than a mileage upgrade, the entire buyup would have been non-refundable. Buyer beware.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sorry, but every carrier's program has undergone and continues to undergo significant change. This one is not new.

But, it does point to the importance of not presuming that just because something was done one way the last time that it is still the same way this time.

OP paid $200 to change the ticket because he chose to purchase a discounted ticket. The $100 is to redeposit the miles.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ani90
I must confess I am well past 1MM and also unaware of these fees. Even more disturbing as I bought an award ticket which I will probably b cancelling as plans have changed. Can anyone provide a link on this to the original thread or maybe mods move this over?
Why not just go to United page???

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Often1
it does point to the importance of not presuming that just because something was done one way the last time that it is still the same way this time.
Especially since it's been this way for at least six years.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Interesting, I haven't used miles to upgrade since CO days. I assume then since these are considered awards then it's still no-fee if a 1K cancels for a redeposit? (of the miles used for upgrade, not the ticket itself).
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Most of the airlines have found another source of revenue.

The alternative (which I think existed in some cases) was that once used, they were not returnable at all. Now, that would suck.

Many airlines do offer a break for higher elite levels. So, some million milers never realized there was a fee since they were always waived.

Personally - when I had to cancel, the first thing I would do was GOOGLE it to see what the current policy was.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Interesting, I haven't used miles to upgrade since CO days. I assume then since these are considered awards then it's still no-fee if a 1K cancels for a redeposit? (of the miles used for upgrade, not the ticket itself).
Yes, no fee for 1Ks. See link on post #12.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This fee isn't new, it's been around since at least the merger if not longer.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Sorry I do know about this. I had assumed OP was 1K/Plat and that this was now a new fee being applied to all.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by username
You have lived a sheltered live to be near 1 MM and not know anything about the fees
I wouldn't describe it as a "sheltered life". On the contrary, I can't keep up with all the US airline change fees....Americans are stuck with the worst airlines in the world. United being one of them.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madcampa
I wouldn't describe it as a "sheltered life". On the contrary, I can't keep up with all the US airline change fees....Americans are stuck with the worst airlines in the world. United being one of them.
Because Americans choose to flock to Frontier/Spirit.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:52 am

Miles Redeposit Fee for Cancel within 24 Hours

I know I can cancel a reservation for no fee within 24 hours.

Is there no fee for re-depositing miles I used to upgrade to F if done during the first 24 hours also?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey
I know I can cancel a reservation for no fee within 24 hours.

Is there no fee for re-depositing miles I used to upgrade to F if done during the first 24 hours also?
This question was asked two years ago - does anyone know the answer ?

(I'm on a deadline, I just booked an itinerary with co-pay & milage upgrades that I now might want to cancel within 24 hours of booking)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.