Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Effect of 2018 ORD and AA ORD expansion plans on UA flyers?

Effect of 2018 ORD and AA ORD expansion plans on UA flyers?

Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I would love it if ORD added a connector train to either the Brown Line or to the Far North of the Red Line. Right now you have to go downtown then back out to get to Ohare. From where I live its a good 90 minutes.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:53 pm
glg

Originally Posted by steveo
I would love it if ORD added a connector train to either the Brown Line or to the Far North of the Red Line. Right now you have to go downtown then back out to get to Ohare. From where I live its a good 90 minutes.
There have been various long range plans to run the Brown Line west along Lawrence to Jefferson Park, meeting up with the Blue Line there. I'm not sure how much that would help the far north side/Evanston though as you'd still have to go down to Belmont before heading NW.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Chicago Tribune is reporting that AA now claims they never agreed to the plan and that a 'secret' deal was hatched between the City of Chicago and United to increase fees levied on carriers (which in turn would be used to back the bonds issued to pay for the expansion) without AA consent. More details to follow soon.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
pretty significant news broke at the end of business today. AA withdrew their support for the ORD expansion plan because they claim that UA and the mayor's office snuck a "secret provision" into the deal at the last minute that gave UA additional gates (IIRC, AA claims this figure is five gates).

the mayor says he'll go forward with the plan, with or without AA's support.

Emanuel vows to push ahead on $8.5B O'Hare expansion as American Airlines decries 'secret deal' - Chicago Tribune

all in all, not a great week for UA's rivals politically thus far. DL's relationship with georgia's state government isn't exactly peachy, and now this news about AA from ORD.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:25 pm

If Rahm pulls this off, will UA give him a GS status for life or name a plane after him
ChiTownMuggle likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
If Rahm pulls this off, will UA give him a GS status for life or name a plane after him
and if not, a dead fish will be showing up at the offices of AA CEO Doug Parker

TBH I think the City needs this. Expansion would vastly expand use of ORD as an international hub for both passengers and cargo. The plan that Rahm's administration has chosen was deemed the most plausible by many experts. Given the location of the two proposed 'satellite' concourses, it's been obvious all along that UA would be getting a disproportionate share of the new gates. My guess is AA is simply trying to leverage an additional concession or two from the City and isn't actually against the plan.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by glg
There have been various long range plans to run the Brown Line west along Lawrence to Jefferson Park, meeting up with the Blue Line there. I'm not sure how much that would help the far north side/Evanston though as you'd still have to go down to Belmont before heading NW.
Ravenswood is booming and this would make it easier to get to any part of the north side south of Lawrence, but it will cost billions to tunnel under Lawrence (no way they're going to build new el through residential neighborhoods).
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by onthesam
Chicago Tribune is reporting that AA now claims they never agreed to the plan and that a 'secret' deal was hatched between the City of Chicago and United to increase fees levied on carriers (which in turn would be used to back the bonds issued to pay for the expansion) without AA consent. More details to follow soon.
With Chicago politics, it is hard to know how much of this is sabre rattling, but the AA folk are not happy. They think they "deserve" three more gates than United and are kicking in their heels. Also much complaining about the state of terminal 3 (which, IMHO, is indeed a dump) but AAs lack of attention to it hadn't helped any.

Meanwhile, on the version of this thread on the AA board, there are calls for AA to pull out and leAAve ORD to UA and the LCCs. They want AA to move back to St. Louis, which doesn't seem like a sound business plan to me. Wouldn't UA only benefit if for some unlikely reason AA did walk out? AA (& UA) negotiating move to new ORD “Global” terminal > 2024

As someone who lives in Chicago I have many colleagues who chose AA over UA, and I've certainly gone back and forth many times before *alliance won my business and this brings in UA by default.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: united
American is now refusing to sign. They say United is getting some extra "secret gates".
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
American is now refusing to sign. They say United is getting some extra "secret gates".
so what does that mean? Assuming they don’t sign (I realize, in the end, unlikely), does that just mean they basically lose all access to the airport, and can’t run any flights to/from ORD? Seems like a lose-lose not just for AA/their pax and ORD, but pretty much all their stakeholders, too.

id think AA is just too big at ORD to want to lose it all over 3 gates.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
I'd balk at the cost... How the hell can you spend 8+ billion dollars? That cost going be passed on to the ones that use the airport.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bhunt
I'd balk at the cost... How the hell can you spend 8+ billion dollars? That cost going be passed on to the ones that use the airport.
8 billion isn’t what it once was. And this is Chicago. The final bill will be twice that if not more, once you factor in graft and corruption. Everyone has their hand out.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt
Chicago just wrapped up a $225 million project to renovate one single-platform neighborhood train station (Wilson Red)... Billions to completely reconstruct O'hare? Drop in the bucket. The schools alone cost $6 billion a year
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: United Premier Gold , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Ravenswood is booming and this would make it easier to get to any part of the north side south of Lawrence, but it will cost billions to tunnel under Lawrence (no way they're going to build new el through residential neighborhoods).
Blue Line to Lawrence or Montrose pick up an easy bus connection straight down either street is an time saving alternative today then heading all the way downtown.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dilanesp
AA is just playing a game, really nobody wants AA to have more gates for MD80s anyhow

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.