Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Business MP Award Availability Issues for Singapore Air SQ

Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Business MP Award Availability Issues for Singapore Air SQ

Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cesco.g
In the spirit of SQ's "partnership" with *A I go out of my way to avoid SQ. Have not given them a dime of business in at least 3 years.
Don't worry, SQ is doing just fine and remains the finest 5-star airline in *A.

SQ's strategy to not give away its premium cabins is brilliant, as that's how you get people to actually pay for the exclusivity of F and J.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It's also pretty clear you can't book Air NZ J as well. LX F is also restricted to M&M only.

*edit: at least for NZ to the US. Not sure about Oceania-Asia
Times change in the world of J award redemption on * Alliance partners and it seems in only one direction-less- but as of 3 or 4 months ago, there was fair availability on the PVG-AKL route in J..one other north Asia route had some seats as well...perhaps NRT.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
SQ is an important part of *A for my travels to Australia from Europe, due to the timing of their flights to MEL. But its not just their award policy that is "arrogant", they have this crummy *A Gold lounge in SIN without even bathrooms (never mind showers), and they charge $500 or $600 surcharge per leg for longhaul C on RTW *A tickets !
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have found a great way around all of this. I use my miles from my Chase Sapphire Preferred card for SQ miles, and book awards directly with SQ. Much better availability and much lower redemption. UA lost my credit card business just for this one reason.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by blueman2
I have found a great way around all of this. I use my miles from my Chase Sapphire Preferred card for SQ miles, and book awards directly with SQ. Much better availability and much lower redemption. UA lost my credit card business just for this one reason.
Yep, you even get a 15% discount for booking award tickets directly on SQ's web site.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Originally Posted by blueman2
I have found a great way around all of this. I use my miles from my Chase Sapphire Preferred card for SQ miles, and book awards directly with SQ. Much better availability and much lower redemption. ...
Not always the case. I'm also a KrisFlyer member and basically do the same what you recommend (+ I also credit flights to SQ from time to time and hotel stays and car rental). However lower mileage requirements not always the case. Indeed KrisFlyer has some sweetspots (like Bali to Istanbul for 38250 miles in business OW), but other redemptions could be priced a way less advantageous.

E.g. South East Asia to New Zealand (what I need right now) in business:
UA - 30,000 miles
SQ - 55,000 miles
Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Did SQ stop providing biz class seats to United?

I called United to check inventory for one-way biz class award seat DME-IAH in September 2016. Agent told me that SQ doesn't give them (United) business class award seats.

Is this true?
How can I seach for such se4ats myself?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
You cannot, you have to call United and ask them to search. Business class seats are very hard to come by with United miles, but they are sometimes available.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dh01
You cannot, you have to call United and ask them to search. Business class seats are very hard to come by with United miles, but they are sometimes available.
SQ rarely (never) releases premium cabin inventory to partner airlines, including UA, on their long-haul flights. You can use ANA's flight search tool to look for SQ inventory, but for DME-IAH, you're probably wasting your time. It's common to find availability on intra-Asia flights, but not transoceanic travel.

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 10, 2016 at 7:04 am Reason: clarification about partners vs. KF
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
No Mileage Plus Award Flights on premium classes on SQ 777-300s or A380s. So this leaves the only opportunities for redemption on their older A330s that only do regional flights in Asia Pacific.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ellylex
I called United to check inventory for one-way biz class award seat DME-IAH in September 2016. Agent told me that SQ doesn't give them (United) business class award seats.
SQ business class on DME-IAH is not available through UA. If you have AMEX MR or Chase UR you can transfer them to SQ KrisFlyer for redemption.

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
So this leaves the only opportunities for redemption on their older A330s that only do regional flights in Asia Pacific.
It's broader than that and includes 772/773s and occasionally 77Ws. But yes, mostly regional intra-Asia, occasionally Asia-Australia.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Kacee
SQ business class on DME-IAH is not available through UA. If you have AMEX MR or Chase UR you can transfer them to SQ KrisFlyer for redemption.

It's broader than that and includes 772/773s and occasionally 77Ws. But yes, mostly regional intra-Asia, occasionally Asia-Australia.
I'm about to test this later tonight, trying to put together a complex itin that includes SIN-BNE & return, hopefully in SQ Biz. Not great seats on the 330, but hopefully good enough to get some sleep in on a 9-hour overnight flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.