Search

UA Stale Movie Selections

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
UA Stale Movie Selections

For the past 3 months and multiple Transpac's I have seen little change in the UA movie and entertainment portfolio to a point where the past few flights I have not even turned the screen on.
I have flown multiple sectors on SQ and CX and based on what I watched on those systems my UA screen will be blank for the rest of the year as they catch up ,should I choose to keep flying with them.
Am the the only one who couldn't care less about the Tribeca film festival?
Is UA stretching the term New release to geological time frames ?
Why are they so far behind with the movie product, it is terrible for the frequent long haul flyer
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have you looked at the wifi-streamed options on your flights? There are a *lot* more choices there.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
You got something against James Bond ?

I agree...I fly UA way too much on long haul and I have seen every movie they have at least twice. Two trips to Germany and one trip to Asia in January....and I am staring another trip to Asia in the face next week. I'm going old school....books
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS
Or just buy some stuff and load onto a tablet. With the TPAC flight home being overnight, all I need is one movie to watch. On the westbound leg it's nice to have a selection and lots of travel lately means my selection of unwatched movies that I actually want to watch is slim, so on my last trip I just man-upped and spent $40-50 at iTunes on movies I actually wanted to see and they are store don my iPad for just this situation.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by harryhood
Or just buy some stuff and load onto a tablet. With the TPAC flight home being overnight, all I need is one movie to watch. On the westbound leg it's nice to have a selection and lots of travel lately means my selection of unwatched movies that I actually want to watch is slim, so on my last trip I just man-upped and spent $40-50 at iTunes on movies I actually wanted to see and they are store don my iPad for just this situation.
Last summer I started traveling to Europe for work about once a month. I am so tired of the lack of movie and TV selections. I was thinking of downloading movies but don't really feel I should have to spend the extra $$$. Are movies better on other Star Alliance partners like LH? I don't think I want to book on LH for the movies but worth a consideration. Either that or go old school with books.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
It's amazing how far we have come.

30 years ago, there were movies on the overhead.

20 years ago, there were 5-8 looping videos on the armrest monitor.

Now we have dozens upon dozens of choices. I find that I always have something interesting or fun to watch. But yes, if you fly more than 3-4 times in any given cycle, the choices become slimmer. It's those times I watch movies I wouldn't have thought to watch. And I usually am pleasantly surprised.

UA's ife is better than many airlines out there. Perhaps if you fly LH, y will get different movies. But if you fly LH regularly, you will come up against the same dilemma.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I agree with the OP. There is considerable room for improvement, and this particularly includes the audio selections.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Just re-watched Fargo. Forgot how good that movie was...also Trading Places a few months ago.

Just dig deep.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA AVOD is better than average. Not in the CX/SQ class but really not bad at all. I especially appreciate their "classics" selections.

The area they could really do better is tv series - CX/SQ/TG/AV have entire seasons available where UA will have only one or two episodes.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Just re-watched Fargo. Forgot how good that movie was...
My favorite of all time.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA AVOD is better than average. Not in the CX/SQ class but really not bad at all. I especially appreciate their "classics" selections.

The area they could really do better is tv series - CX/SQ/TG/AV have entire seasons available where UA will have only one or two episodes.

My favorite of all time.
Agree on all points.

I am perfectly happy with UA's streaming movies...took me three flights to finally finish Prometheus. Weird movie...
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Feather Man
You got something against James Bond ?

I agree...I fly UA way too much on long haul and I have seen every movie they have at least twice. Two trips to Germany and one trip to Asia in January....and I am staring another trip to Asia in the face next week. I'm going old school....books
Even all of the Indian and Chinese/Japanese/Korean movies? There seems to be a disproportionate number of those.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just re-watched Fargo. Forgot how good that movie was...also Trading Places a few months ago.
And surprisingly little good stuff from Hollywood since those came out.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I appologize in advance if they ever put Coming to America on. I'll watch it every flight and be howling.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Just dig deep.
I was recently thrilled on LH to see Blues Brothers on the list. Laughed me way through a large chunk of the flight.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
UA has a far, far bigger selection of movies/TV than LH and LX, but I do get the sense they're changing their selections less often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.