Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked In First - Class Of Service Showing Coach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Silver

A couple days ago I booked two FareLocks for routes. Both were IAH-LAX-LAS outbound and LAS-IAH return. One was booked on Sunday and the other on Monday. I did this because the fares dropped by a hundred bucks and our group hadn't finalized dates yet. Today we confirmed so I booked my flight by accepting purchase on the cheaper of the two.

I noticed this on the FareLock confirmation the other day but chalked it up to an anomaly. However today after booking it is still showing coach as the class of service. Everything else is reflective of a first class booking; seats up front, PQM and PQS are that of an A fare.

Has anyone seen this before? Do I need to call in and notify them?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is FC available on your flights? Have you tried to check seating maps for FC cabins and available (not precisely, I know, but it's a good starting point) open seats in FC?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Not sure if this is related but I've noticed a couple of times lately (just a few minutes ago) when I pull up itineraries on the mobile app it sometimes shows "Class of Service: Coach". Even though the seat and everything else shows First. Then when I close the app and reopen it reverts to "Class of Service: First". This is in both domestic discounted First (A/P) and an RPU upgraded itinerary.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is FC available on your flights? Have you tried to check seating maps for FC cabins and available (not precisely, I know, but it's a good starting point) open seats in FC?
Yes it's a wide open cabin on all flights. I have seat assignments on all legs in first too.

When I look online now (mobile and regular site) everything shows booked in first whereas earlier it didn't. My email confirmation shows coach (but FC everything else) which is what originally tipped me off.

Seems like the site is wonky as SF1K mentioned. This combined with the site not recognizing any airports as served by United several times over the last week makes me think they've got some bugs in the system. It's also seemingly not recognizing my KTA on the reservation.

I'll call tomorrow to make sure everything is cool.

Thanks for the responses!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by SF1K
Not sure if this is related but I've noticed a couple of times lately (just a few minutes ago) when I pull up itineraries on the mobile app it sometimes shows "Class of Service: Coach". Even though the seat and everything else shows First. Then when I close the app and reopen it reverts to "Class of Service: First". This is in both domestic discounted First (A/P) and an RPU upgraded itinerary.
Ive seen this too.. On the app.. I have a MP upgraded segment in BF.. A quick refresh and the iGremlin goes away
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If the ticket looks good on the Saudia tool and you have seat assignments, I would sit back and let UA IT sort itself out.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by findark
If the ticket looks good on the Saudia tool and you have seat assignments, I would sit back and let UA IT sort itself out.
I've seen Saudia show the wrong cabin class, in fact, surprisingly frequently (although I only go there to check itineraries that I suspect are problematic).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I've seen the 'Coach' thing happen but it usually clears up soon.

Normal reservations say 'Economy' not 'Coach' so I always chalk it up to the patchwork of IT systems that keep these nuts and bolts flying in formation.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:00 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by dmurphynj

Normal reservations say 'Economy' not 'Coach' so I always chalk it up to the patchwork of IT systems that keep these nuts and bolts flying in formation.
+1. "Coach" is never used to mean "Economy" by United's system. When it appears, it's a clear and certain sign that something is wonky in the system and will get cleared up later. I'm sure there's an interesting story about how this came to be (and why we get "Coach" rather than "Argh argh argh syntax error!"), but I don't know it.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SF1K
I've had the same thing happen multiple times.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen Saudia show the wrong cabin class, in fact, surprisingly frequently (although I only go there to check itineraries that I suspect are problematic).
Correct tickets that look wrong, or bad tickets that look correct?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
I've noticed this recently and I believe it's a bug. Your ticket is probably fine.

If you complete the reservation, it should show the right fare class. I had a reservation showing as "Coach" in farelock and then in the mobile app up until check-in, but the boarding pass correctly had me in P-class First.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by QBK
+1. "Coach" is never used to mean "Economy" by United's system. When it appears, it's a clear and certain sign that something is wonky in the system and will get cleared up later. I'm sure there's an interesting story about how this came to be (and why we get "Coach" rather than "Argh argh argh syntax error!"), but I don't know it.
This!

I have had coach (F) before as well. Usually during irop when they throw in replacement flights and so on. Never an issue getting the F seat.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The App did this with my freshly purchased F/BF itinerary last night - all segments listed as "coach." It's back to correct now.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj

Normal reservations in Y only say 'economy' for non-UA-operated flights - for UA-operated flights it normally says 'United Economy'.

I did see the coach thing on and off on a reservation about a week ago, but it always changed back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.