Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is the change to early boarding for families w/children 2 or under a good move by UA?
Like the change and it will improve boarding time
9.68%
Like the change but it will not improve boarding time
9.01%
Dislike the change but it will improve boarding time
2.15%
Dislike the change and it will not improve boarding time
61.02%
Could support a different change and it will improve boarding time
3.09%
Could support a different change but it will not improve boarding time
2.96%
Neutral but it will improve boarding times
2.02%
Neutral but it will not improve boarding times
10.08%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
Case in point: I watched a woman and her about 10-year-old son board on Sunday with a huge bag, backpack, purse, and two shopping bags. She threw all of these except her purse (including her suitcase, which had to go in sideways) in the bin above 2EF. She then folded her coat and put it in there as well. After she closed the bin and started heading to economy the passenger in 2E who was behind her asked her where she was sitting. She answered "24B." At that point F was full and the guy got pissed. Luckily the FA was proactive and told her that she had to move her things. She got huffy and told the FA that it was easier for her son and her to carry their things off from there. The FA persisted and she moved her stuff.
Horrible story and awful behavior but TOTALLY irrelevant to the question of when is the best time for families with children to board. This VERY bad behavior happened with normal boarding, and would happen at any point in time. The key here is that the FA enforced some common sense guideline for stowing overhead gear. So as many have commented, enforcement is key to make any boarding process smooth.

And as to comments about blowing things out of proportion, I've taken 8 trips so far this year, and I don't recall seeing any small children on any of the flights. So is this really going to be such a HUGE problem that it is going to send droves of elites away from United? Are those who don't like this change being hyperbolic because in the end of the thousands of flights a day, how many flights are families with small children really on??? Yeah maybe flights to HNL, or MCO, but really isn't this just a fly speck for the rest of the network?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
It was mentioned before upthread. But there is no "pre-boarding" on UA. It is all just a shuffling of the order you board. There is no extra allocated time for pre-boards. Unless they truly allow the pre-boards on then WAIT an appropriate amount of time before boarding the next group, this exercise is pointless. Pre-boarding is to allow extra time for those that need it to get settled. Having the next group right on their tails does not solve the problem. Pre-boards are not going to take "all" the overhead space. But if you happen to be in the same row you may not get your bag right over you. But it is the time factor. No real extra time and this will not work. And I don't see UA building extra time into the boarding schedule anytime soon to actually accommodate this.

So real actual extra time and real enforcement by GA's is the only way this will actually work to speed up the rest of the boarding process. And clear guidelines as to how many may accompany the ones needing extra time is another huge factor. As others have seen, I have also seen, the grandma gets rolled on in a wheel chair and the horde of 8 family members goes with her. The miracle of miracles at the destination grandma can walk just fine and refuses the wheelchair waiting for her.
Couldn't agree more on all points. When I board as GS, often the GA is asking for Group 1 before my BP is even scanned. A first-world problem, for sure, but the above point that this policy is useless without a gap before calling the next group is spot-on.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Couldn't agree more on all points. When I board as GS, often the GA is asking for Group 1 before my BP is even scanned. A first-world problem, for sure, but the above point that this policy is useless without a gap before calling the next group is spot-on.
Same here. Often times I can't make it around the herd to get to the scanner before the GA's on to Group 1. Then it just looks like i'm trying to cut to the front of the Group 1 batch that's been queueing for a while.

The point is that UA needs to learn and implement the concept of PRE-boarding. Otherwise, just adjust the group numbers so that the words "Group 1" are used when the actual first group of people are invited on to the plane, not with the 4th group which has now just become the policy (ie... Families, then Military, then GS, then "Group 1"...).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Same here. Often times I can't make it around the herd to get to the scanner before the GA's on to Group 1. Then it just looks like i'm trying to cut to the front of the Group 1 batch that's been queueing for a while.

The point is that UA needs to learn and implement the concept of PRE-boarding. Otherwise, just adjust the group numbers so that the words "Group 1" are used when the actual first group of people are invited on to the plane, not with the 4th group which has now just become the policy (ie... Families, then Military, then GS, then "Group 1"...).

Same thing happened to my wife on her flight yesterday. She was actually pushed out of the way and yelled at by the Group 1 boarders for "butting" in line.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Perhaps my experience set is different than others, which colors my perspective on the issue.

When I would preboard with my kids, which was >5 years ago, I always had enough time to get my two kids, bags, etc. down the aisle without blocking the Premiers.

Similarly, and much more recently, I flew a bunch of times on crutches, and I was always afforded plenty of time to get down the aisle. I usually surprised the FA's when I showed up at the door (although how they couldn't hear me clomping down the jetway, I don't know).

As a result, my assumption was that the same thing would happen here.

If they're not giving parents sufficient time to get on board and situated without blocking GS/1K/Group 1, then complaints are clearly warranted.

But if they are, and the paths of the Premiers aren't actually being impeded, then I think the complaints of people here are still just whining because they're a little less special than they think they deserve.

Greg
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:41 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
Anyone arguing that they should be given any special privileges because they decided to reproduce is WRONG. Preboarding and the group system in place currently are based on legitimate need and loyalty for achieving criteria that UA has set.

Children are not a disability (unless the child is disabled and then they should preboard). It is a choice (in most cases) to have a child and inconveniencing others as a result is not fair.

I can't tell you the number of times that I've had to listen to a child screaming, see them running around, making a mess or just wreaking havoc in the airport, UA Club, or on the plane. In most of these cases the parents just sit back and let the child blast a TV show from his/her iPad while throwing Cheerios everywhere.

UA should not further reduce benefits for its most loyal elites and for those buying and/or seated in F. Here is a perfect example from a travel blogger asking if the policy can be amended to age 3, 4, or 5: http://michaelwtravels.boardingarea....flying-united/

I guarantee that we'll see tons of examples of preboarding being abused after February 15th. As it is now, I see plenty of GAs allowing people from other groups to board with Group 1 because they play dumb or act confused and board out of turn.
Who did I ask to amend the policy? I suggested that it should include 3 or 4 year olds, possibly 5 year olds. My son just turned 4 so I can't judge what it is like to board with a child older. However in reality, I'd think letting families with kids age 4 and under pre-board would be sufficient and help to speed up the process.

Whether or not families board before Group 1 is another story. With Southwest going right after Group A has always worked out just fine.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by 1015-1k

This. I know, as an earlier poster said, this is a first-world problem, but I have had altercations that nearly came to blows when trying to appropriately pre-board in front of the Group 1 queue.

It definitely is a training issue for the GAs - that all important pause between pre-boarding and boarding. It is no different then really letting those with disabilities get to the plane and seated before calling GS. They need that time and shouldn't feel rushed when they hear footsteps behind them.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by greg99
Perhaps my experience set is different than others, which colors my perspective on the issue.

When I would preboard with my kids, which was >5 years ago, I always had enough time to get my two kids, bags, etc. down the aisle without blocking the Premiers.

Similarly, and much more recently, I flew a bunch of times on crutches, and I was always afforded plenty of time to get down the aisle. I usually surprised the FA's when I showed up at the door (although how they couldn't hear me clomping down the jetway, I don't know).

As a result, my assumption was that the same thing would happen here.

If they're not giving parents sufficient time to get on board and situated without blocking GS/1K/Group 1, then complaints are clearly warranted.

But if they are, and the paths of the Premiers aren't actually being impeded, then I think the complaints of people here are still just whining because they're a little less special than they think they deserve.

Greg
I think you've hit on something. The boarding process has changed so much and so many times from 5 years ago. Today, UA can barely get everyone on board when they start 30-45 minutes before push back. That was not the case in the pmUA days (I flew pmCO too, but not frequently enough to comment there).

While there's some self-important whining here about status, for me it's an issue as a business traveler, regardless of status. I see no possible way this speeds up the boarding process. That's bad for me as a business traveler. Secondarily, I'm often running from a plane to get to a meeting, especially when the flight is delayed. It helps tremendously to get my proper-sized bag in the bin above my seat.

When I travel for leisure, as I assume most of these families are, I care much less about these little delays. For many of us, it's not that we think we're too important for this change, it's that UA is making a change that benefits a small % of passengers while likely having a negative impact to a larger % of passengers.

Not all flights, not every time I fly. But it will happen.

I've made my position clear in this thread, and I'm not an important 1K. I'm a simple Gold, I understand my position and my value to UA, and I don't want special treatment. Just fair and equal. My reason for travel and my comfort and convenience is not less important just because I don't have a 2 year old with me.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:28 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by manstein58
This was good to read and makes a lot of sense. Think anyone from UAL will act on this?
I would guess that the AFA would require the pay of the inflight staff to start earlier if boarding started earlier.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by meducate
This. I know, as an earlier poster said, this is a first-world problem, but I have had altercations that nearly came to blows when trying to appropriately pre-board in front of the Group 1 queue.

It definitely is a training issue for the GAs - that all important pause between pre-boarding and boarding. It is no different then really letting those with disabilities get to the plane and seated before calling GS. They need that time and shouldn't feel rushed when they hear footsteps behind them.
Not really sure it's a training issue though. One of the agents I was speaking with casually (granted I haven't physically seen the procedures book so I can't verify the info below except to share what I was told) calls for them to start the boarding process (disabled / GS included) at X minutes before the flight departure, dependent upon type of aircraft. That is the time we have printed on our boarding passes.

So what UA considers pre-board isn't really pre-board. Given this, the agents are just following the procedures outlined by management. They built in the boarding time buffer with the pre-board. The process is disabilities until visual clearance of disabled passengers in the jetbridge, then military/GS, and once they scan their passes and not visible to begin Group 1, though most GAs will just start Group 1 after they scan the GS passes to avoid that awkward pause of looking at the G1 people about to run them over (think Black Friday of customers waiting outside the doors!).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by tcp1

How about this - let families board early if they buy FamilyAccess or some other add-on, just like we've always been charged when we were GMs.

This is the best idea I've seen in this thread!!! Doesn't have to be too expensive: say $20 per individual.

Hawaiian Airlines lets one pay a bit extra for "preferred access" which means one boards after their elites, but before "general boarding"
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:07 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

We have been reading your comments on this thread, as well as in private messages that you’ve sent to us here on FlyerTalk. We have a few key points that we would like to address that hopefully capture the majority of feedback you have provided.

To begin, we have work under way to improve the boarding process, based on ongoing customer feedback and the results of our recent tests. Bringing back pre-boarding for families with small children, while not a specific element of the new boarding process, was recommended by employees and customers alike.

As far as additional background on this change, our decision in 2012 to have families board with their boarding groups was based in part on feedback that the boarding process was too cumbersome and that it needed streamlining. While the new gate layout and the reduced number of groups made the process at most gates more orderly, it became clear that families traveling with very young children were stressed with holding up the line while juggling strollers, diaper bags and carry-on bags while looking after their children. Putting ourselves in their shoes, it was clear that they weren’t starting their journeys with us on a positive note, as our boarding procedures created additional anxiety for them. By offering families the ability to pre-board while the aircraft is still empty, we’re able to give them a clear path to their seats so they can get settled without the pressure of feeling like holding up the rest of the flight. The new process also has the benefit of reducing the individual micro-delays – the stressed families who may be blocking Group 5 boarding in the jet-bridge or who may need time to secure a car seat in the cabin – that can result in departure delays for all customers.

Regarding feedback specific to Global Services customers, we know pre-boarding isn’t always smooth, and we’re working on improvements that will provide an easier way to pre-board without having to push through the crowd of customers in Boarding Group 1. We’re also working on improvements specific to boarding group management, with a focus on improving the experience for 1Ks as well.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to providing new updates regarding the boarding process in the near future.

-UA Insider
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We have been reading your comments on this thread, as well as in private messages that you’ve sent to us here on FlyerTalk. We have a few key points that we would like to address that hopefully capture the majority of feedback you have provided.

To begin, we have work under way to improve the boarding process, based on ongoing customer feedback and the results of our recent tests. Bringing back pre-boarding for families with small children, while not a specific element of the new boarding process, was recommended by employees and customers alike.

As far as additional background on this change, our decision in 2012 to have families board with their boarding groups was based in part on feedback that the boarding process was too cumbersome and that it needed streamlining. While the new gate layout and the reduced number of groups made the process at most gates more orderly, it became clear that families traveling with very young children were stressed with holding up the line while juggling strollers, diaper bags and carry-on bags while looking after their children. Putting ourselves in their shoes, it was clear that they weren’t starting their journeys with us on a positive note, as our boarding procedures created additional anxiety for them. By offering families the ability to pre-board while the aircraft is still empty, we’re able to give them a clear path to their seats so they can get settled without the pressure of feeling like holding up the rest of the flight. The new process also has the benefit of reducing the individual micro-delays – the stressed families who may be blocking Group 5 boarding in the jet-bridge or who may need time to secure a car seat in the cabin – that can result in departure delays for all customers.

Regarding feedback specific to Global Services customers, we know pre-boarding isn’t always smooth, and we’re working on improvements that will provide an easier way to pre-board without having to push through the crowd of customers in Boarding Group 1. We’re also working on improvements specific to boarding group management, with a focus on improving the experience for 1Ks as well.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to providing new updates regarding the boarding process in the near future.

-UA Insider
thank you
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Insider
...Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to providing new updates regarding the boarding process in the near future.

-UA Insider
Thank you for the feedback as well. One comment:

Please just make sure that the GAs clearly announce and enforce the rule that the children must be two or younger. That alone will assuage many of our fears, I believe.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Thank you for the feedback as well. One comment:

Please just make sure that the GAs clearly announce and enforce the rule that the children must be two or younger. That alone will assuage many of our fears, I believe.
And actually make it a pre-board by WAITING before calling others to board or they will just do as UA Insider says, clog things up when there are people directly behind them, only they will clog it up sooner in the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.