Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is the change to early boarding for families w/children 2 or under a good move by UA?
Like the change and it will improve boarding time
9.68%
Like the change but it will not improve boarding time
9.01%
Dislike the change but it will improve boarding time
2.15%
Dislike the change and it will not improve boarding time
61.02%
Could support a different change and it will improve boarding time
3.09%
Could support a different change but it will not improve boarding time
2.96%
Neutral but it will improve boarding times
2.02%
Neutral but it will not improve boarding times
10.08%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Visconti
You were hampered by a debilitating injury which required some assistance. Are you suggesting that parents by nature of having small children are hampered physically in the same manner as a torn ACL?
Originally Posted by dgparent
You did not make decision to get injured just like no one decides it is a great idea to be disabled. That is completely different than deciding to have children then feeling entitled over FF's because you have a child that is under whatever age the GA decides that day is ok to board 1st.
No.

What I'm suggesting is that the argument that the volitional nature of having children means that the burdens faced by parents boarding with children should be disregarded leads very rapidly to conclusions like mine, that I shouldn't be entitled to preboard because the disability was as the result of choices that I made.

If you want to argue that it slows the process down for everyone, and that should outweigh the parents' interests in preboarding, OK, that's at least a fair question. Arguing that parents shouldn't be entitled to preboard because they chose to have children is an extremely poor argument.

Frankly, my ACL ruptures were far more volitional than many adults' status as parents. Neither you nor I have any knowledge of why a particular family has children, nor should we, nor should any of us make any such assumptions. Plus, when people are making the decision to have children, nobody's doing it so that they can preboard an aircraft.

For what it's worth, though, having both traveled while disabled and with children, the burdens of traveling solo with two children were far greater than those I faced traveling on crutches.

Greg
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by greg99
If you want to argue that it slows the process down for everyone, and that should outweigh the parents' interests in preboarding, OK, that's at least a fair question. Arguing that parents shouldn't be entitled to preboard because they chose to have children is an extremely poor argument.
Herein lies the difference.

No one with an (especially recent) ACL injury can easily traverse the walkway without some special assistance. There are no exceptions to this.

On the other hand, there are plenty of parents who have travelled with young children who didn't require any special assistance. Just because some parents are unable or unwilling to, should we allow them special dispensation?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fgirard
I showed this thread to my mother a few days ago, and I just got the chance to talk to her about it now. Her first comment was something along the lines of, "It's amazing that we all survived having children in the 80s." (there is a lot of implied sarcasm in that line, typing doesn't do it justice) Then she went on about it is one of her peeves when people aren't prepared. But she told did bring up the fact that back then, she made a conscious decision to allocate 1 carry-on item to a car seat and check the rest.

Then we got on the topic of car seats...she had little sympathy for people that struggle with the installation because as she pointed out, "they put a booklet in the box that has all of the instructions on how to attach it correctly." But, she did point out that if a car seat is DOT approved, but not FAA approved, then it shouldn't even be near the gate because it is not approved for travel. In fact, late last year, she was heading down to ANU when a family tried to board with a non-FAA compliant car seat. When the GA confronted them, the family went ballistic (at EWR), so the GA acquiesced and allowed them to board...only to have them swim upstream because it didn't have the appropriate anchor points.

On a side note, when I asked her about screaming children, her answer was, "noise canceling headphones, and some high-proof liquor." Although her method of discipline would be that if I acted out or did anything out of line, I would get the "stare," which was enough to correct behavior.
very cool Mom and I couldn't agree more.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:13 pm

Herein lies the difference.

No one with an (especially recent) ACL injury can easily traverse the walkway without some special assistance. There are no exceptions to this.

On the other hand, there are plenty of parents who have travelled with young children who didn't require any special assistance. Just because some parents are unable or unwilling to, should we allow them special dispensation?
Sorry, again I disagree with your analysis.

I could, and did board aircraft without having preboard privileges. I did not *require* special assistance to board, but it was extremely helpful to have extra time.

In fact, on one flight where the aisles were particularly narrow and I had arrived late due to a tight connection, I created open laughter among other passengers, because I held my crutches in one hand and hopped down the aisle on one leg down to my seat in row 12 (or whatever).

Not everyone with an ACL injury would be able to do so (nor should they, because if nothing else, it looked ridiculous). I happened to be able to do that because I was a competitive masters athlete who had rowed in the Head of the Charles Regatta a couple of weeks before my injury. Most people with the degree of knee injury I had wouldn't even try to travel.

Should we be asking GA's to evaluate whether somebody on crutches *could* board during the general boarding process?

Greg
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:19 pm

Sorry, again I disagree with your analysis.

I could, and did board aircraft without having preboard privileges. I did not *require* special assistance to board, but it was extremely helpful to have extra time.

In fact, on one flight where the aisles were particularly narrow and I had arrived late due to a tight connection, I created open laughter among other passengers, because I held my crutches in one hand and hopped down the aisle on one leg down to my seat in row 12 (or whatever).

Not everyone with an ACL injury would be able to do so (nor should they, because if nothing else, it looked ridiculous). I happened to be able to do that because I was a competitive masters athlete who had rowed in the Head of the Charles Regatta a couple of weeks before my injury. Most people with the degree of knee injury I had wouldn't even try to travel.

Should we be asking GA's to evaluate whether somebody on crutches *could* board during the general boarding process?

Greg
Clearly, on this issue we'll have to disagree.

I see nothing similar on having an actual physical impairment caused by a debilitating injury to "some" parents who are unable or unwilling to handle traveling with young children as efficiently as others.

If they are unwilling or unable, they should pay for pre-boarding, like everyone else. I get they want the free perk, but let's just call it what it is.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
From my perspective, it just boils down a group who wants a free perk; because, for whatever reason, they are unwilling or unable to pay for it.

I can appreciate this, but just spare me the disingenuous rhetoric justifying the entitlement or appealing to "common decency."
"Common decency" or "it's hard" seem to be the common themes by those supporting this change, whether they have children or not. And this is why I keep saying this is really just a PR move by UA. There's no logical reason to implement it, other than to make a special group of people happy, or to end some noise in the system.

We all have things that make life difficult for us and not for others. I don't think that's a reason to get special treatment.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard
I showed this thread to my mother a few days ago, and I just got the chance to talk to her about it now. Her first comment was something along the lines of, "It's amazing that we all survived having children in the 80s." (there is a lot of implied sarcasm in that line, typing doesn't do it justice) Then she went on about it is one of her peeves when people aren't prepared. But she told did bring up the fact that back then, she made a conscious decision to allocate 1 carry-on item to a car seat and check the rest.

Then we got on the topic of car seats...she had little sympathy for people that struggle with the installation because as she pointed out, "they put a booklet in the box that has all of the instructions on how to attach it correctly." But, she did point out that if a car seat is DOT approved, but not FAA approved, then it shouldn't even be near the gate because it is not approved for travel. In fact, late last year, she was heading down to ANU when a family tried to board with a non-FAA compliant car seat. When the GA confronted them, the family went ballistic (at EWR), so the GA acquiesced and allowed them to board...only to have them swim upstream because it didn't have the appropriate anchor points.

On a side note, when I asked her about screaming children, her answer was, "noise canceling headphones, and some high-proof liquor." Although her method of discipline would be that if I acted out or did anything out of line, I would get the "stare," which was enough to correct behavior.

Completely agree.

On a side note, from my observations most parents with an under 2 year-old child do not bring a car seat into the cabin for the child. That would require the purchase of a separate seat. I would bet a not insignificant sum that the vast majority of under 2 year-old passengers are lap childs.

This doesn't mean that parents don't have a lot of other stuff, but using the time and effort to set up an infant seat as one of the justifications for the policy change (as many previous posters have) is of limited credibility.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by 9elf S
This doesn't mean that parents don't have a lot of other stuff, but using the time and effort to set up an infant seat as one of the justifications for the policy change (as many previous posters have) is of limited credibility.
We always had an extra seat for each of our children, and always used car seat(s) so that colors my perspective.

As someone upthread suggested, I think a perfectly reasonable line could be drawn for parents traveling with children who will be sitting in their own seats.

That said, I still think that a substantial portion of the objections to the policy can be boiled down to "I'm not as special as I used to be before this policy," and nothing's going to ameliorate that pain.

Greg
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by 9elf S
Completely agree.

On a side note, from my observations most parents with an under 2 year-old child do not bring a car seat into the cabin for the child. That would require the purchase of a separate seat. I would bet a not insignificant sum that the vast majority of under 2 year-old passengers are lap childs.

Interesting point. I don't pay that much attention, but I bet you are right. My sister has a 1 year old. She has flown once since the baby came. One way they had 2 F seats and held the baby and one way they had 3. That was a flight to Hawaii. No question she would only have had 2 seats both ways on shorter flights.

Last edited by JBord; Feb 12, 2016 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
Interesting point. I don't pay that much attention, but I bet you are right. My sister has a 1 year old. She has flown once since the baby came. One way they had 2 F seats and held the baby and one way they had 3. That was a flight to Hawaii. No question she would only have had 2 seats both way on shorter flights.
Right, and what I have also observed (again, just my observations) often times is that a passenger that is a parent with a lap child actually has more carry-on baggage than a passenger without a lap child, yet is only required to pay for one seat. And that passenger with a lap child will now have priority over just about all other passengers to overhead bin space. Forget about elites, how is this fair to the rest of the passengers?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier

That said, I still think that a substantial portion of the objections to the policy can be boiled down to "I'm not as special as I used to be before this policy," and nothing's going to ameliorate that pain.

Greg
I don't think that is what most think at all they are probably thinking

1. Why does UA think this will speed up the boarding process since there is no way they can create a gap in between groups ?

2. Why does UA all of a sudden think that their GA's are going to start enforcing a policy to the letter ?

3. Add 1 and 2 together and you create MUCH slower boarding times for the frequent flyer that creates a large portion of UA's revenue

4. Why should someone that purchases a 1st class ticket for say $1800 board after a family with a mom & dad and a 4 and 8 year old that spent $800 total ?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by dgparent
I don't think that is what most think at all they are probably thinking

1. Why does UA think this will speed up the boarding process since there is no way they can create a gap in between groups ?

2. Why does UA all of a sudden think that their GA's are going to start enforcing a policy to the letter ?

3. Add 1 and 2 together and you create MUCH slower boarding times for the frequent flyer that creates a large portion of UA's revenue

4. Why should someone that purchases a 1st class ticket for say $1800 board after a family with a mom & dad and a 4 and 8 year old that spent $800 total ?
Your first 3 captured my thoughts perfectly.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
As a "past" parent of 6, I like this change. Raising kids is tough and families go ahead of everyone including GS DYKWIAs like me.

For those who don't think so, I hope you have fun lonely in your rest home on your final, broken connection home with no IFE, PDB, and Mr Bubbles

Kids first.
As a recent defection from UA to AA, I'm glad I'll be missing the mess that is about to unfold on UA.

Your world may revolve around your "kids first" attitude, but mine does not.

Kids can board with their assigned boarding group.

At least I don't have to deal with this on AA.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by goodeats21

I have never disparaged anyone who has chosen to have kids.
Please don't disparage me for the opposite choice. Having kids is not everyone's secret to happiness.

I don't agree with United's decision here, but I am not making sweeping generalizations about it.
You have confused not making allowances for families with disparagement about family choices.

Having kids or not - personal decision.

Making allowances for those who do - not optional for civilised people.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
As a "past" parent of 6, I like this change. Raising kids is tough and families go ahead of everyone including GS DYKWIAs like me.

For those who don't think so, I hope you have fun lonely in your rest home on your final, broken connection home with no IFE, PDB, and Mr Bubbles

Kids first.
You have confused not making allowances for families with disparagement about family choices.

Having kids or not - personal decision.

Making allowances for those who do - not optional for civilised people.
My apologies for thinking you were disparaging "lonely in your rest home" as an indicator of those without children. Now I honestly don't know what you are trying to say, so I guess you are correct. I am confused.

Being bumped to boarding class 5 as a 1k in first class doesn't strike me as a great idea for United. I don't think that makes me uncivilized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.