Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum the new silver

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
If people feel status is not worth it, ultimately frequent fliers will become more transactional which will undermine margins.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
bring back the e500's !!
There is no point of e500s if upgrades can be done in TODs.

It's blessing enough to think 1K is new 2P. In UA's eye, even if you spend 50k, you can still be 1K, and 2P-1K are all kettle. Only GS means something to them.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
You can always refuse the CPU and see if you get the free drink
Easier said than done, surprisingly. I flew with my family once. I was on a revenue ticket and family was on miles (back in the "good ol' days" when status was inherited on awards). I got upgraded at the 72 hour mark, so asked over the phone to be taken off the CPU list and put back in coach with my family. I got upgraded again a day later. Asked again, and put back again. I then got upgraded again at the 24 hour mark. At the airport, it took them about 10 minutes to figure out how to get me off the list for good.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
It is definitely flight specific.
As a platinum, I used 1 RPU to upgrade from HNL to Miami, via LAX and IAH about 2 weeks ago.
I definitely got my money's worth on that.

As someone else mentioned up-thread, I wish they would bring back the e500 certs.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I put almost zero value in the EUA process. I don't understand why anyone thinks that it matters if you live in a hub or not, you're always flying into or out of a hub on UA. If you are flying a mostly leisure route (EWR-FLL, MSY, etc) you're going to have a better shot than a hub-hub flight, or BOS-SFO.

I do value exit rows/E+, BG1, free award changes. Platinum is indeed more valuable to me than Silver.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by domzals1
All route/timing specific. I'm 5/5 on CPU ex-ORD to ROA/DAY and SFO - SNA and 4/4 on RPU, with 2 on ORD-MBJ, ORD-SFO, and SNA-SFO-ORD.

All Y tickets in V or below.

+1
Wait a minute ... you're getting CPUs to ROA? When did they start putting a non EMB-145 on that route? I fly SFO-ORD-ROA quite often and have never seen anything other than a single cabin RJ on the ORD-ROA route.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I hate posts like this because they imply that the only perk of a status is CPUs.

There are at least half a dozen benefits that Platinum gets that Silver doesn't. Trust me, it's WAY better with you status than mine, OP.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:25 pm

As a gold 0 upgrades for past 16 segments. Like 18 open seats on many flights 10 days before departure but very few upgraded.

Is Delta and American just as bad?

The upgrade should not be touted as a benefit since becomes more rare each year.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
bring back the e500's !!
Wouldn't matter. The reality is that the company is selling more seats up front. It isn't that you're being outdone by another person getting an upgrade; it is someone who paid for the seat. Doesn't matter how you dole out the upgrades when there is zero inventory to fill that way.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Wouldn't matter. The reality is that the company is selling more seats up front.
...to Kettles for tens of dollars to upgrade. But if you're unfortunate enough to be a UA elite member, you won't get that price. Nor will your upgrade clear, if the Kettles have bought all the FC seats.

An airline who treats their elites worse than the rest, that's UA, let's hope Oscar has undersottd this and stops it
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
It's the pricing that works against frequent travelers these days. They sell over half the front cabin on cheap P fares far in advance and then sell the business traveler more expensive economy fares. These P fares are basically TOD's in disguise, it's UA's tactic to extract more revenue from the leisure traveler. This won't stop until it makes financial sense for them to stop selling cheap P fares and TOD's. Literally until legions of 1K's abandon them - they don't care. If they can have it both ways they will. Hence the free food in economy for 1K's.

Fly an airline that values the $25k annual revenue or whatever you bring to the table or quit complaining.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
it's UA's tactic to extract more revenue from the leisure traveler
Actually it's DL that pioneered FCM.

I really don't think the P fares are going to "leisure travelers." What we typically call "leisure travelers" don't buy F - they shop based on price and buy the cheapest economy ticket available.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually it's DL that pioneered FCM.

I really don't think the P fares are going to "leisure travelers." What we typically call "leisure travelers" don't buy F - they shop based on price and buy the cheapest economy ticket available.
The P fare has basically created a market that didn't previously exist. My in-laws are retired lawyers and they were recently delighted when I pointed out they could buy P fares to S America for less than the total of economy & $500 cash portion of the upgrade fee. I.e. $1300 -$1500 each way.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by BF263533
As a gold 0 upgrades for past 16 segments. Like 18 open seats on many flights 10 days before departure but very few upgraded.

Is Delta and American just as bad?
I can't speak to American, but for Delta your upgrade odds are highly route specific. LAX-ATL or JFK? Forget about it!

Are you Silver and like to fly RJ's up and down the west coast? Delta is your airline!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The P fare has basically created a market that didn't previously exist. My in-laws are retired lawyers and they were recently delighted when I pointed out they could buy P fares to S America for less than the total of economy & $500 cash portion of the upgrade fee. I.e. $1300 -$1500 each way.
Which supports my belief that most of the people who are now paying for cheap F were previously getting there via upgrade. Or business travelers who are buying F for little or no marginal price increase over expensive Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.