Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: findark
Table 1: United First fare differential versus same fare in United Economy
Code:
lax |   99    --
sea |  129   129    --
den |  129   129   159    --
dfw |  159   159   199x  129    --
msp |  199   199   159x  129   129x   --
iah |  199   159   199   129    79   159    --
ord |  199   199   199   129   129    99   129    --
atl |  249   199x  249x  159   129x  129   129   129    --
iad |  299   249   249   159   159   129   159   129   129    --
ewr |  460‡  451‡  299   199   159   159   159   129   129    79    --
fll |  299   249x  299x  199   159x  159x  129   159    --   129   159x   --
bos |  299   299x  299x  199   199x  159x  199   129   129x   99    79   159x
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
       sfo   lax   sea   den   dfw   msp   iah   ord   atl   iad   ewr   fll
x indicates that there is no normal nonstop service between the city pair. Up to two transfers (connections) are free in each direction.
‡ indicates there is no /UPDI fare published for this route. Amount is the difference between lowest available UP fare and current Economy (lowest), provided for reference.
-- indicates United does not publish a fare for this city pair.

Table 1.5: United First fare differential as a function of flight distance (partly speculation)
Code:
 total distance   fare differential
   min   max            ($)
------------------------------------
         299             79
   300   499             99
   500   999            129
  1000  1499            159
  1500  1999            199
  2000  2399            249
  2400                  299
Table 3: Minimum fare class with matched United First fare
Code:
lax |   K    -
sea |   K    K    -
den |   K    K    K    -
dfw |   K    K    L    K    -
msp |   K‡   K    L    K    K    -
iah |   L‡   K*   K‡   K    K‡   T‡    -
ord |   L    K*   L‡   L    K*   K*   K    -
atl |   K    K    L‡   K    K    K‡   K    K    -
iad |   T‡   K*   L‡   K‡   K    K*   K    K    K    -
ewr |   -    -    K    K    K    K‡   K    K*   K*   Q     -
fll |   K    K    L    K    K    K    K    K    -    K    K    -
bos |   K*   L‡   L    K    L    T    K    K    L    K    K    L
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
       sfo  lax  sea  den  dfw  msp  iah  ord  atl  iad  ewr  fll
- indicates no /UPDI fare is published for the route
‡ indicates the minimum matched fare is also the minimum published fare
* indicates that there is a lower, unmatched fare with the same basis letter as the lowest matched fare
The United Economy booking code hierarchy is: Y B M E U H Q V W S T L K G N
Print Wikipost

A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 1:16 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to understand your chances of being offered a paid upgrade (before checkin but after post purchase pop up) before booking? It seems hit and miss for me. I have to book travel thru a third party site for business and then I log into United and sometimes im offered the ability to buy up with cash and sometimes I'm not. Other times it seems to pop up after a few weeks. It would be great to know what flights have a higher chance of this offer prior to booking so I can purchase accordingly. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, I have done quite a bit of searching on FT and havent found the exact answer I'm looking for. Should I just add Z,P to fare class search and ensure those are available prior to booking?

Thanks!

Last edited by DJ_Z; May 18, 2018 at 1:21 pm Reason: More context
Old May 18, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

This makes no sense - "post purchase pop up" can't occur before booking.
Thanks for the welcome. Was referring to the pop up offer some get when they complete their economy purchase thru United.com offering them to buy up to first immediately after they complete their purchase. I will never get this offer because I have to purchase the ticket thru our company portal.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DJ_Z
Is there a way to understand your chances of being offered a paid upgrade (before checkin but after post purchase pop up) before booking?
As far as I know, from the customer's perspective, it is random. In general, the emptier the cabin, the better the odds you get a non-ridiculous offer. Note also that buy-up offers now appear with some regularity in the App from purchase onward (used to be only at check-in and after).

Welcome to FT!
Old May 18, 2018, 4:05 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm pretty sure you can always go to "manage reservation" and "upgrade" and one of the options will be a buy-up to the cheapest J/F cabin fare. You can also buy up to any fare class by calling in.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
Originally Posted by helvetic
I'm pretty sure you can always go to "manage reservation" and "upgrade" and one of the options will be a buy-up to the cheapest J/F cabin fare. You can also buy up to any fare class by calling in.
..though sometimes you have to have the cheapest far already picked out, call in, get a ridiculously expensive, "upgrade" offer that cost more then buy the new ticket. ...inform the agent you would rather cancel and buy new and wait 20 to 30 minutes while the work with the "pricing desk" to fix your upgrade.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm pretty sure you can always go to "manage reservation" and "upgrade" and one of the options will be a buy-up to the cheapest J/F cabin fare. ...
I have a couple of reservations presently that have no offers

You can also buy up to any fare class by calling in.
you can see that cost by using the online change flight but ned to call to get the change fee waived.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Surprised to find a relatively high Y-F differential for SFO-PHX fares of $224 (for date of travel 6/15). Confirmed on EF as applicable up and down the fare table (i.e., $224 differential for all fare bases). Interestingly, I was offered a buy-up at purchase for $139, which is much closer to what I would expect as the differential on this route.

I wonder if UA is experimenting with fare structure again. I do think they've dropped the differential too low on many of the west coast routes.

I'm burning RPUs - these are 320s, and besides, where else am I going to use them? Return cleared at booking, outbound waitlisted (booked 5/12).
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think most of this is attributable to a rather onerous Q schedule applied only to the premium fares. UA has been doing this for quite a while, even when competitors don't match it, and I've never quite understood it. The difference in base fare (including tax) I see is $144 (which is up $5 from the expected $139). The rest is a summer-heavy Q schedule from e.g.:

Code:
     AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 74.42 PER
           FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE
           FARE PER ANY PASSENGER ON THU/FRI/SAT/SUN/MON
           FROM 14JUN18 THROUGH 01JUL18.
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
          THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE
          COMPONENT BASIS.
     AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 74.42 PER
           FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE
           FARE PER ANY PASSENGER ON THU/FRI/SAT/SUN/MON
           FROM 07JUL18 THROUGH 06AUG18.
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
          THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE
          COMPONENT BASIS.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I've heard of it on FT many times but never really saw it myself. Well, just ran across this on United.com. First class is cheaper than the main economy fare on a domestic ticket. The main economy fare ("U") is $299 while first class ("Z") is $283. It's a super short domestic hop but one I need to take anyway. I thought there was another thread that had this data but as usual the search functionality on FT is awful and I can't find the thread.

-RM
not2017 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On a lot of flights nowadays, each coach passenger has more space than a F passenger. Not due to seat size, but to passenger density. UA is pricing the possible higher F density on your flight lower than economy

Not really...
UVU Wolverine likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Most times I have seen this recently, F is matching a BE fare with no Y fare, or it's just an error.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 9:06 pm

first class pricing and upgrades

So I was booked on a trip from PUJ via ORD to PDX. United app was showing $148 per segment for an upgrade to first. I did change enfire flight to first for $214 (i was in K before).

I love pandemic for that kind of a deals.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on bucket availability, the fare difference between economy and first can be as little as $167 each way ($871 vs. $537 roundtrip).
Old Aug 28, 2021, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Depending on bucket availability, the fare difference between economy and first can be as little as $167 each way ($871 vs. $537 roundtrip).
now I am in z and crediting to miles and more as I am negative balance -6k there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.