Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Another groundbreaking 787 route announcement, and another thread about the "narrow" seats without mentioning the increased pitch (for most comparisons), higher pressure/humidity, huge windows (less claustrophobic feeling too), Sky Interior, and less noisy cabin.

You also forgot the short CO BF seats and the clunky controls they chose to put on them.

I was very surprised on my last 787 ride, because it was on TG, and they use the same seat manufacturer as the CO BF seat, so I wasn't looking forward to it. But it turns out, they didn't cheap out in the same manner as CO did.

The TG seat is longer, the seat controls were graphical and intuitive, and the IFE remote was a much nicer touchscreen (smartphone-like) interface.

It seems with a few improvements, the BF cabin can be much improved. But I doubt it's on UA radar to do anything about it, since these planes are relatively new.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by milypan
Most of our complaints aren't that it's 16 hours per se. It's 16 hours combined with the cramped 3-3-3 787 experience. I don't even like the 788 E+ experience on a 4 hour SFO-IAH flight. Most of the 10+ hour UA flights I've taken in the past few years have been in 3-3-3 777 cabins, which obviously are much roomier than the same seating configuration in a 787. Of course, the future 3-4-3 777 cabins will "solve" the dilemma of "how do I avoid the 787 on long-haul flights?"
+1 to all of this - right now you can get to SIN on a 777 various ways. Not so much after this.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Switched my return SIN-NRT-SFO to the nonstop earlier today. Agent surprised it was in the system despite not being approved. Then went on and on about how awesome it is having such a large plane for the route. Never mind I gave up a 777--747 itinerary in trade.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: United GS, SPG ambassador
The non-stop is just great news ... but so sad that SIN-NRT is going away. Please reschedule SIN-HKG-EWR so that it connects all year round. I like flying UA, but arriving from SIN at 8:45pm via SFO instead of 1:45pm via HKG will make me fly through Europe instead ...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by channa
You also forgot the short CO BF seats and the clunky controls they chose to put on them.

I was very surprised on my last 787 ride, because it was on TG, and they use the same seat manufacturer as the CO BF seat, so I wasn't looking forward to it. But it turns out, they didn't cheap out in the same manner as CO did.

The TG seat is longer, the seat controls were graphical and intuitive, and the IFE remote was a much nicer touchscreen (smartphone-like) interface.

It seems with a few improvements, the BF cabin can be much improved. But I doubt it's on UA radar to do anything about it, since these planes are relatively new.
Continuing off topic, I just got off UA 33 NRT-LAX on the 789 and the business seat controls are much more logical than those on the pmCO 777's or 757's; I find the latter two to be completely counter-intuitive.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EWRforever
The non-stop is just great news ... but so sad that SIN-NRT is going away. Please reschedule SIN-HKG-EWR so that it connects all year round. I like flying UA, but arriving from SIN at 8:45pm via SFO instead of 1:45pm via HKG will make me fly through Europe instead ...
EWR is why HKG-sin gets in after 1am instead of 11:50pm like in the PMUA days.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am IAD based and do fly between SIN and East Coast often in BF or GF.

I am happy for this direct route, but not sure I am keen to fly domestic F for six hours to SFO to catch the SIN flight.

I would still prefer IAD-NRT-SIN (I guess I will be on NH to SIN). Alternatively IAD-PEK-SIN (second leg on SQ)

Nevertheless, it is a great news to start a direct SIN service, and I will make sure to fly SFO-SIN if I have business travels involving these two cities.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Continuing off topic, I just got off UA 33 NRT-LAX on the 789 and the business seat controls are much more logical than those on the pmCO 777's or 757's; I find the latter two to be completely counter-intuitive.
You have 16 hours to figure out the seat controls, I'm rooting for you!
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
Flight attendants tend to like them because they are very productive in terms of pay vis-a-vis time away from base. Certain deep South America trips on the sCO side also have similar schedules. You'll see the most senior sCO f/as build lines with back-to-back-to-back trips of this nature.

Keep in mind that FAR 117 mandates longer rest periods for pilots coming off longhaul/overnight operations, at least compared to FAs.
I notice significant difference in attitude and service quality between NRT-US and TPE-SFO. Do you think it is attributed to a "self-selection" process of the FAs or more of a NRT-base vs. SFO-base thing? For SIN, better get people who can compete with SQ - at least service quality-wise
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:54 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am happy for this direct route, but not sure I am keen to fly domestic F for six hours to SFO to catch the SIN flight.
Maybe we'll start seeing a widebody again in the evening to SFO. There are the morning 752s, but who wants to sit in the Centurion lounge in SFO all day long, as nice as it is?

Originally Posted by SGDCGuy
I've mentioned redemption difficulties already, and will UA now count the NH portion of the fare for GS purposes, when it wasn't clear that they did in the past?
Do they count any of the other JVs? I don't see that happening unless there's precedent for it. Heck, we've been told in the past UA was "working on" allowing GPUs on the NH JVs, but that's gone nowhere in the nearly two years since UA pulled out of NRT-BKK.

Finally, I agree that the SFO-SIN arrival in SIN is better for catching connecting flights -- if SQ is willing to play ball.
This--I want to use it as a BKK option (still 2-stops for me, unfortunately; my only 1-stop is via NRT, and I will never take that NH codeshare again).
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by exerda
Maybe we'll start seeing a widebody again in the evening to SFO. There are the morning 752s, but who wants to sit in the Centurion lounge in SFO all day long, as nice as it is?
Isn't there a 5:30 PM or so IAD-SFO on a 777 in the schedule?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:24 am

Isn't there a 5:30 PM or so IAD-SFO on a 777 in the schedule?
Not at the moment. It was on the schedule last year for a few months. Right now we get SFO-IAD on a 777 early in the morning, but no WB return.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:07 pm

the seat controls were graphical and intuitive, and the IFE remote was a much nicer touchscreen (smartphone-like) interface.
Just like this one on UA's 787-9s??

Because those planes do have the newer, second screen remote with the touchscreen interface.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yes, consider me one of the IAD folks not too happy with this. I was in the middle of trying to book redemption for a family trip to Singapore with a stopover in Tokyo for a few days. Now that has gotten very complicated.

Thus, I'm happy for y'all on the West Coast who got a better option, but IAD folks (e.g., government, government-related and the Discovery Channel (DC global headquarters is in DC, Asia headquarters is in Singapore, so countless sightings of the Pawn Stars guys, Food Channel people, etc.) just took a hit. Hopefully we'll get some operational adjustments, but we are going to see some higher fares on IAD-NRT-SIN from the UA/NH JV, and we can see SQ preparing to more than wet its beak.
sorry but family trips are not the target demographic, in case you missed the preceding 4 pages. this is ideal for the west coast tech companies, entertainment industry and bankers that don't want to waste time transiting Japan. And others like my industry where regional HQ is in SIN.

I lived in DC for 10 years and as much as I love Japan (as in - I'd love to live there) I would take a stopover in the USA anytime. This is true for all my international flights. Not because of the mediocre lounges or airports. But simply because every time you have a change of planes there is always the possibility of cancelled or delayed connection due to weather, mechanical, etc. If you are in a major hub in USA then you will have dozens of options to re-book and likely airport hotels where you can camp out if needed. Even alternative airports like OAK/SFO/SJC or IAD/DCA/BWI. If you are overseas it is a much more difficult situation nor do you want to spend hours on the phone trying to rebook.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by username
For SIN, better get people who can compete with SQ - at least service quality-wise
UA's FAs are not there for your service. I thought it was clear for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.