Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upmarket Crew Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Upmarket UAX Crew Hotel?

Just flew into DTW on UAExpress. Turns out my crew (pilots and FA's) were on my Shuttle bus to the Westin Hotel Metro Airport which is connected to the DL terminal. For those that haven't been, its quite a nice business hotel which is obviously very popular with Delta flyers as you can access the DL terminal directly from the hotel.

I guess I am a little surprised that UA Express houses its crew's here in DTW. There are loads of off airport hotels of all the brands available at DTW that must be much cheaper options for the airline.

Has UA been upgrading its crew lodging lately? Is it normal for a domestic Express flight crew to stay in such a nice hotel?

Making a paid reservation at this property for tonight would cost around $350. Obviously United would not pay anywhere near that rate. The hotel appears very busy.

Does this seem a bit odd to anyone else?

Last edited by Seat 1F; Jan 27, 2016 at 9:10 pm Reason: Title Clarification
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA proper does not have a say in where UAX crews lay over, as long as the crews are available for their contracted flying. The individual UAX carriers handle their own hotel contracts.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Not at all.
I have seen flight crew check into all kinds of hotels. Individual airlines have all kinds of contracts based on availability.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Not odd at all. The airline contracts for rooms and cross checks best rate with contractual obligations.

Here in Chicago LH and LX use the Hilton downtown. A decidedly upscale property that's nowhere near ORD.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If it's SkyWest or another of the carriers that flies for both DL and UA, they may have a lot of buying power and can get a nice property for a reasonable price.

Airport hotels tend to have high vacancy rates, especially in low-cost destinations like DTW, so there is likely competition for contracts such as this, which could lend itself to reasonable rates on properties that seem a bit more upmarket than normal.

Originally Posted by milepig
Not odd at all. The airline contracts for rooms and cross checks best rate with contractual obligations.

Here in Chicago LH and LX use the Hilton downtown. A decidedly upscale property that's nowhere near ORD.
For lengthy layovers (e.g., > 24+ hours), it's often required by contract that crew get a downtown hotel.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 27, 2016 at 10:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:59 pm

It varies by each location, each contracted deal (usually amazing pricing for the airline to the hotel), and crew requirements per their contracts.

At San Juan, they use both La Concha Renaissance and the Ritz Carlson - I shared a taxi shuttle with the pilots I was flying with from the Ritz to the airport last time - lets just say I didn't have to worry about missing the plane as I felt like I was running late! They told me the FAs were at the Renaissance.

I'm sure it varies a ton though, and I would say San Juan was a bit unique as I don't think crew usually overnight there, but could be wrong.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by milepig
Totally different kettle of fish you're talking about when referring to long-haul international crew. They frequently get more posh accommodation. My experience today was with a UAX domestic RJ crew. Apples and oranges in my view.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by channa
If it's SkyWest or another of the carriers that flies for both DL and UA, they may have a lot of buying power and can get a nice property for a reasonable price.

Airport hotels tend to have high vacancy rates, especially in low-cost destinations like DTW, so there is likely competition for contracts such as this, which could lend itself to reasonable rates on properties that seem a bit more upmarket than normal.
This. I have a friend who flies for Skywest and they routinely stay at 4 star properties due to this very reason.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
Making a paid reservation at this property for tonight would cost around $350. Obviously United would not pay anywhere near that rate. The hotel appears very busy.
In most airport/business hotels, the rates sold to the general public can't be used to estimate the actual average daily rate for the hotel. In one hotel in which I worked as Revenue Manager, our public rates were in the $215-300/night range. Yet, due to the large number of guests with negotiated corporate rates, our overall average daily rate was usually between $120-150.

So true. Demand at airport hotels can fluctuate wildly. Having a block of X rooms every night for airline crews means guaranteed revenue.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:32 pm

Upmarket Crew Hotel?

Given that at United, there are probably 5 to 7,000 pilots and FAs on layovers every night, the volume is huge and the airlines get rooms way below rack rates. Also, our respective unions have agreements with the company regarding quality and location. We get some pretty nice hotel rooms and we get some pretty dumpy ones, too. My last two, not great.

FAB
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
In addition to all that is said, I hope the crews get to stay at pretty good properties.

Crews are there for safety, and I want them to have a good night's sleep before operating a flight in the morning (or anytime later the next day). Sure, Motel 6 may leave the light on, but if they're trying to sleep on a bed that just isn't comfortable, and don't get good rest, then that is going to directly impact their ability to do their jobs, especially if and when they're needed most.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
For lengthy layovers (e.g., > 24+ hours), it's often required by contract that crew get a downtown hotel.
I was informed by a HNL based FA in Nov. that their "long layover" hotel in LA is actually in Pasadena. They love it, and one of the reasons is that it's away from LAX.

Good for them. They're worth it!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:31 am

sCO we stay in Manhattan for our long NYC layovers; Elizabeth NJ for short layovers. sUA lays over in NJ. LHR we stay at an airport hotel sUA stays in downtown. Long LAX layovers are in Manhattan Beach; short ones are at airport hotels near LAX.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Hotel fares , like some other travel businesses, are revenue managed. Perception of what a regular business pays for a hotel drawn from the consumer perspective is flawed.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
There are loads of off airport hotels of all the brands available at DTW that must be much cheaper options for the airline.

Does this seem a bit odd to anyone else?
What seems odd is that the OP is suggesting that it is perfectly acceptable for HIM/HER to stay at said hotel, but not for someone else to stay at same hotel -- even suggesting "cheaper options" for THEM.

Personally, I find this a bit egotistic and snobby.
rmadisonwi and diburning like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.