Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United needs a HUB that isn't in the friggin snow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

semi rant, but semi real question

Here I sit in IAH at AA because United bought me a ticket to get home to where it is warm, problem is they could only get me there thru IAD or EWR as by the time the storm got bad, I was in the air between NRT and IAH and everyone had a 12 hour head start on rebooking

Delta has ATL, SLC, DTW and MSP and although that is one down south and 3 in the snow, the one down south is so large in 4+ years I was only once re routed for weather - when it snowed in ATL

United has IAH, EWR, IAD and ORD - although ORD seems OK, I have been flying United for 6 months and been re routed for snow 3 times already.

AA has MIA, DFW and PHX - although I don't know how big the hubs are as I haven't flown them since I lived in Hawaii in the early 90's

Maybe it is a huge coincidence, maybe not.

I am very happy with United overall, they went above and beyond this week getting me to SIN, even without my bags, and back, including 2 re routes for maintenance issues.

I wonder how much Airlines think this thru or if it is 100% beancounters with no interest in weather?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

United has IAH, EWR, IAD and ORD - although ORD seems OK, I have been flying United for 6 months and been re routed for snow 3 times already.

Given this is the warmest winter in years (was the same temp in NYC on Christmas Day as it was on July 4th) with not much snow to speak of until this weekend, that's some seriously bad luck.

But more analytically, it seems the hubs are in major population density locations by choice, snow be damned. Sure a hub in Jackson MS might avoid snow but it also avoids business.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here I sit in IAH at AA because United bought me a ticket to get home to where it is warm, problem is they could only get me there thru IAD or EWR as by the time the storm got bad, I was in the air between NRT and IAH and everyone had a 12 hour head start on rebooking

Delta has ATL, SLC, DTW and MSP and although that is one down south and 3 in the snow, the one down south is so large in 4+ years I was only once re routed for weather - when it snowed in ATL

AA has MIA, DFW and PHX - although I don't know how big the hubs are as I haven't flown them since I lived in Hawaii in the early 90's

I am very happy with United overall, they went above and beyond this week getting me to SIN, even without my bags, and back, including 2 re routes for maintenance issues.

I wonder how much Airlines think this thru or if it is 100% beancounters with no interest in weather?
Don't see much snow at SFO or LAX.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:49 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM

Think it through? Yes, I guess no one at an airline has ever thought about that issue...

How would you expect an airline to change its hub structure even within 10 years of wanting to do so? Not going to happen.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
UA also has major hubs in LAX and SFO. Not sure why you omitted those -- maybe your flying patterns don't include them, or ?

No snow in either place, 'cept maybe 2x per century. (Snow that melts upon hitting the ground doesn't count.)
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:06 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
UA also has major hubs in LAX and SFO. Not sure why you omitted those -- maybe your flying patterns don't include them, or ?

No snow in either place, 'cept maybe 2x per century. (Snow that melts upon hitting the ground doesn't count.)
No snow, but SFO frequently tops the list for the airport with the most weather delays. So close and yet a world away from OAK where there is seldom a weather delay.

I often think UA has the worst hubs w/r/t weather as well. Obviously, they've balanced weather against a multitude of other factors.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 25, 2016 at 6:13 am
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:14 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I think if UA decides to add a hub, AUS would be a great spot. DFW also if they could find gate space, or build a new terminal. AUS I think may have room, with room for expansion. Yes, DFW does occasionally have snow, but not as much as a northern location.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf

OP also forgot DEN though it gets snow.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Pretty sure DEN fits the list as a hub as well. We do a pretty good job clearing it quickly and keeping the airport running well given how frequently it snows. The only time we run into significant issues is when large amounts of snow and wind (a blizzard) comes in at which point I'm not sure you would want the airport functioning from a safety standpoint
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:23 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

SFO can get you pretty much anywhere no problem. Weather is rarely an issue in the Bay Area. (Wind and fog are the only potential issues)

LAX is well connected for UA, too.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:26 am

I hope you are feeling better now after your rant.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Today is snow, tomorrow could be tornado, the day after could be hurricanes, and then there is earthquakes, valcanos.........an airlines cannot just simply forecast and focus on weather condition to make hub decisions. If this is the case, there is no point set up any hubs.

Hubs are set up based on economicfactors. If the weather is so bad at a certain location, people won't live there, and it would not make economicsense to set up a hub there.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold

ORD ok? In the winter? Thanks for the Monday am chuckle!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Today is snow, tomorrow could be tornado, the day after could be hurricanes, and then there is earthquakes, valcanos.........an airlines cannot just simply forecast and focus on weather condition to make hub decisions. If this is the case, there is no point set up any hubs.

Hubs are set up based on economicfactors. If the weather is so bad at a certain location, people won't live there, and it would not make economicsense to set up a hub there.
Totally get the point - but hub location to me definitely matters - and it matters a lot. UA's entire domestic and international system is crippled right now - while other airlines are able to operate much more effectively.

It's hard to argue that UA's hub placement isn't a factor in system performance given the likelihood of poor weather in winter... There are multiple global carriers that intentionally set up their hub system to AVOID what UA is experiencing - when is the last time CX,SQ,EK,NH,JL or countless other airlines - heck, even LH or BA, or even AA or DL - experienced such dramatic issues from a weather event such as this?

UA's hubs are particularly exposed in the winter months - OP is just pointing out the obvious to me... Even Houston, or LAX or SFO - are crippled right now as unless you are going on the few directs left (i.e. to FRA or MUC or LHR), you likely aren't getting to EMEA from ANYWHERE in the US on the UA system. And if you are in Asia or EMEA trying to get home - not happening on UA for most of the folks...
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by helvetic
SFO can get you pretty much anywhere no problem. Weather is rarely an issue in the Bay Area. (Wind and fog are the only potential issues)

LAX is well connected for UA, too.
SFO has very frequent weather problems for United. Just last week three flights got cancelled on me because of "weather at SFO" and had nothing to do with the snow in the east.

LAX is being de-hubbed. No more non-stop to Boston and they (I believe) gave up Terminal 6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.