Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by username
In the beginning, my experience was either "FA did not know this" or "FA did it with enthusiasm proactively based on their manifest on who the GS/1K are". Now, no one actively offers and no one refuses either when I ask for something.

It is just crazy that they can't even get such a simple thing consistent for their most loyal customers. What's wrong with this company?
+1
I am now a bit more proactive and just hand them my ticket with 1K on it and they then wave any fees. On AS even with my status match the FAs ALWAYS come to your seat, great you, thank you for your continued service, and acknowledge your status level. I don't know, it is kind of nice, others may not care.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Since UA's put in E+, I can't remember the last time I sat that far back. Maybe you were stuck with the exit row, but I tend to sit as far forward as possible to 1) maximize choice of food/drink and 2) exit earlier.
The exit rows almost always have the most legroom of any seats on the plane, including F, so tall people tend to book the aft exit row seats far in advance (only the aft seats recline). I always sit in the aft exit row on the aisle.

All of the flights that I have been on in the last month have had neither the pretzel dog or the protein plate loaded-I asked when I boarded because I've been wanting to try it.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 17, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by manstein58
Given the progressively dreadful food offerings in First these days, I am interested in others' experiences asking the FA for the snacks/sandwiches offered for sale in Coach in place of the dreaded calzone or "EGG ?" sandwich
Never had an issue either before or after being a 1K or before or after this program rolled out. I’m an oddly picky eater and usually go for the classic or tapas box. Never been rebuked, though some FAs do seem ka little put off. (And I’ve seen ev3rything from just the box, to the box on the FC meal tray with the assortment of silverware, etc., to one FA actually unboxed the contents and arranged them as if she were plating a formal meal)

I love when the FC meal is something I would at least entertain the thought of eating though...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:47 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by nomad420
+1
I am now a bit more proactive and just hand them my ticket with 1K on it and they then wave any fees. On AS even with my status match the FAs ALWAYS come to your seat, great you, thank you for your continued service, and acknowledge your status level. I don't know, it is kind of nice, others may not care.
Striking how a little company cultural can create such a difference in experience.

Even on domestic first the attidude difference is remarkable, go figure for a service oriented company. Or is UA management and FA think they are competing in the transportation business
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by username
In the beginning, my experience was either "FA did not know this" or "FA did it with enthusiasm proactively based on their manifest on who the GS/1K are". Now, no one actively offers and no one refuses either when I ask for something.

It is just crazy that they can't even get such a simple thing consistent for their most loyal customers. What's wrong with this company?
I have found in the past couple of months that the UAX FA's have been far more proactive and consistent in doing this, I think the ex Co crews generally dislike 1k's
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: United, AA,
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Beginning today, January 20, 2016, we will be offering Premier 1K and Global Services members 1 complimentary beverage and 1 complimentary Choice Menu food item when seated in United Economy for all UA/UAX flights within North America (all 50-state U.S. flights, Canada, Caribbean, Mexico and Central America).

As many of you noted back in October 2015, we began offering 1 complimentary drink to our Global Services and Premier 1K members seated in Economy, and this is an expansion of that program to recognize and show appreciation for your business. We are communicating these changes to our internal teams now and an email communication with more details will also be sent to eligible members in the coming days. Before ordering, let your flight attendant know that you are a Global Services or Premier 1K member and show your digital MileagePlus membership card, Premier membership card, or boarding pass.

As always, we appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This benefit should be extended to Million Mile Flyers as well
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Yaleflyer
Unfortunately, this does not fit into the UA "what have you done for me lately" mantra.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Yaleflyer
It's extended to 3-million Milers
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Much better FAs on today's return flight, but still no pretzel dogs. I was told that they only had them for a week earlier this month, none since. Smart, print a menu with items you don't plan to stock. On the plus side, the GA gave me a whole row of E+ for my transcon ^ - have not seen a UA plane this empty for a long time (maybe 80% load).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Given the progressively dreadful food offerings in First these days, I am interested in others' experiences asking the FA for the snacks/sandwiches offered for sale in Coach in place of the dreaded calzone or "EGG ?" sandwich
The Jimmy Dean commercials on TV strike me as a hideous looking product. However, on two recent occasions, I have asked for them instead of the awful egg white with kale thing they've been serving in first. Not a problem at all.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Striking how a little company cultural can create such a difference in experience.

Even on domestic first the attidude difference is remarkable, go figure for a service oriented company. Or is UA management and FA think they are competing in the transportation business
On my recent flights they just look at their iPhone app when deciding if they should charge me or not and the seat number obviously tells them everything they need to know. There have been some extremely gracious FAs who've commented on loyalty in recent weeks. It's been fine for me.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: UA GS, Library Card holder
I had an interesting experience recently. Due to a misconnect, I recently was switched to a flight last minute where even though I'd booked F, I ended up in E+ - my choice, so no problem.

When the drink cart came by, I asked for a cocktail. The FA asked for my credit card and I showed her my boarding pass. She glanced at it, then told me she needed my credit card. I prompted her with, "Are you SURE this isn't complementary? Do you need to see my MileagePlus Card?" She snapped back that complementary drinks were only for 1K - credit card please.

I asked to speak with the Purser who came and straightened it out. She looked horrified and later brought me a second round unprompted.

So at least part of the message is getting out there! To be fair, this is the first issue I've had since the first few months of the program.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:25 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I've never been refused, though I don't ask too often.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Was stuck in Y yesterday (LAS-IAH) for the first time in a long time and rather enjoyed the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich and fresh fruit. Were it not for the rather large man in the middle seat taking up a lot of my right shoulder space, I dare say it would have been a rather enjoyable flight in Y+ after springing $5.99 for DirecTV to watch the NFL pregame shows.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
I'm not sure exactly when the text changed, but the website now states:
If you’re a member with Premier 1K status, you'll receive one free alcoholic beverage and one free Choice Menu food item when traveling in United Economy on any United- or United Express®-operated flight system-wide, subject to availability on your flight.
so the North America and GUM-HNL only restriction has been removed.

April is the last post I can find quoting the old text:
Originally Posted by trust77
You're flight attendant(s) was misinformed. At least on on flights between HNL and GUM, it says from UA's website:

"One new way that we're enhancing the inflight experience for our most frequent flyers is by offering MileagePlus members with Premier® 1K® status free alcoholic beverages and snacks in United Economy®. If you’re a member with Premier 1K status, you'll receive one free alcoholic beverage and one free Choice Menu food item when traveling in United Economy on United- or United Express®-operated flights within North America and between Guam and Honolulu."

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...y-benefit.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.