Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I'm still waiting for this to happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
the two one-cabin flights I've had this year (both DCACLE) this has been done for me. In fact on one flight the FA offered me a pdb. I feel asleep and woke up about 10 min before landing to a tap on the shoulder.. "Mr. Nevans are you sure you don't want anything to drink or eat?". Great great service!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by nevansm
the two one-cabin flights I've had this year (both DCACLE) this has been done for me. In fact on one flight the FA offered me a pdb. I feel asleep and woke up about 10 min before landing to a tap on the shoulder.. "Mr. Nevans are you sure you don't want anything to drink or eat?". Great great service!
Great service. It really is the little things. I haven't experienced that yet, but in all fairness I haven't been in economy much as my CPU rate this year has been around 90%, so I can't complain.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Great service. It really is the little things. I haven't experienced that yet, but in all fairness I haven't been in economy much as my CPU rate this year has been around 90%, so I can't complain.
I have a feeling on both of these flights I was the only passenger with status. As there was nobody else in group 1 and group 2 was 2-3 people, so probably much easier for the FA to do when it's only 1 person. Still great either way.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Twice in as many months I've been asked for a CC after mentioning I'm 1k and having the charge not process. Is this the way some FAs are handling it to avoid confusing other pax? I've also had it where I've been incorrectly charged for the meal too so it doesn't seem to be a database check.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
I've used the benefit two or three times in the last month and never been asked for a card, so I don't think its a policy change.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by phxrsng
I've used the benefit two or three times in the last month and never been asked for a card, so I don't think its a policy change.
I got a good look at the FA iPhone thing yesterday. They know if you are 1K or not, easily - if your seat is blue, you are a 1K. If you swap seats, they can look you up by name. Also if your seat has a red box around it with a little star - you have some sort of mile stone. You might be making 1mm, progressing from silver to gold, birthday something. They can click on that seat and then see exactly what the mile stone is.

There was a 2 people with same boarding pass issue, FA looked at phone, said XX is seated here, looked the other person up by name and said your seat is XX.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1k
Had a great experience with this benefit on UAX BTV-ORD last week. All 1Ks in economy were greeted by name and offered complimentary food/drink. Made ending up #1 on upgrade list a little less bad.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Originally Posted by SFO28L
...[was] offered complimentary food/drink. Made ending up #1 on upgrade list a little less bad.
This.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by belynch
Twice in as many months I've been asked for a CC after mentioning I'm 1k and having the charge not process. Is this the way some FAs are handling it to avoid confusing other pax? I've also had it where I've been incorrectly charged for the meal too so it doesn't seem to be a database check.

Anyone have any ideas?
I have never been asked for a credit card. They just hand me my food & drink, say Thank You for being a 1K, and move on.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime

Anyone have any ideas?
Sounds like the FAs in question were idiots or, to be charitable, incompetent. Since UA introduced this policy, one of the following has occurred when I've requested food/alcohol:
1) Greeted by name (from the manifest) and asked what I'd like (sometimes before I said anything)
2) Said I'm 1K and FA said "Thank you"
3) Had to show my BP (least common)

Never have been asked to run a credit card (over 200 flights), and this includes sUA and sCO and UX and also my wife's less frequent flights as a gifted 1K. If asked for a credit card, I would politely decline. What are they going to do, divert? I'd love to write that e-mail to Customer Care, should be worth a couple of hundred $ if it happened, LOL.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have any ideas?
What routes are you flying? On several mainlines, I've never had FA's ask for anything.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA
Has anyone flown the new coast service in E+ and stacked the free meal + the GS/1K free food?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Continental
Yes

And snack box too
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by fumje
What routes are you flying? On several mainlines, I've never had FA's ask for anything.
Generally ORD to/from a majorish West Coast city (SFO, LAX, PDX, SMF).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Shouldn't be asking for a card. If you do get charged, file for a refund.
@Hipplewm is correct, the app shows us who's who. If you seat swap, things get fuzzier but it shouldn't be impossible to find. The new app that was just released out of beta makes things even easier (the old one required switching out of the sales app, to the info app, then back to sales to comp. The new one has the GS/1k info integrated in sales)

A question for you all though -- FAs are told it's strictly ONE Drink and ONE Choice item. No substitutions (i.e. 2 drinks and no box), and no doubles. Is this communicated to you as well, or is it (another) case of let's tell the FAs one policy and the Pax another?

I've seen plenty of pax ask for doubles or 2 of something and get upset when told we're not supposed to. I also see the discussion about the combo upthread, and I'll ask for clarification on that since I also assumed it wasn't allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.