Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Old Mar 19, 17, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
what was/is your city pair and date? Could be tons of Premiers, weather-displaced passengers, etc. I was on a LAS-SFO flight once with like 80 people on waitlist, which I though was almost impossible for the route on a Thursday. Turned out a tech conference had just ended. Bunch of 1Ks were in back.

If you were #102, maybe you're one of the people with free mints?
Was on another flight today and #28 out of 72 on the upgrade list. I wasn't expecting anything, obviously. When I got to the airport, first class was already full. I sat in my original 1st row coach aisle seat.(not that bad for a 4-hour flight)

What got my blood boiling(as well as that of the 1k couple sitting next to me) was that UA non-rev clearly got at least 2 of the first class seat. We listened to those two carrying on a loud conversation with the flight attendants. It was 100% clear to us that they were non-revs on vacation(SFO, then HNL, then GUM)

How can non-revs get the first class seats when there are still several dozen elites on the upgrade standby list?
Old Mar 19, 17, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
The flight ended up being switched from a 28 seat 777 to the new Polaris 60 seater, no doubt making the top 32 waitlisted happy.
And probably a bunch of unhappy Y flyers, if they were aware of the change.

Originally Posted by Landscaper View Post
What got my blood boiling(as well as that of the 1k couple sitting next to me) was that UA non-rev clearly got at least 2 of the first class seat. We listened to those two carrying on a loud conversation with the flight attendants. It was 100% clear to us that they were non-revs on vacation(SFO, then HNL, then GUM)

How can non-revs get the first class seats when there are still several dozen elites on the upgrade standby list?
Unless they loudly announced they got the first class seats for free, how do you know they didn't pay for them?
Old Mar 19, 17, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
And probably a bunch of unhappy Y flyers, if they were aware of the change.
Why? Same 10 across Y configuration.

Unless they loudly announced they got the first class seats for free, how do you know they didn't pay for them?
That's a good one
Old Mar 19, 17, 10:39 pm

they said so... it was not hard to hear what they were saying.. the flight attendant probably stood next to them for at least 15 minutes chatting about other stuff as well.

speaking of which... would it have been okay for me to record their conversation and post it somewhere? (not saying that I recorded them)
Old Mar 20, 17, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Why? Same 10 across Y configuration.
Many of the hub 777 flights I've taken still use the 3-3-3 or 2-5-2 configuration, and the ORD-SFO flights I've seen recently have 2-5-2 map loaded. I assumed it went from a 9-across to a 10-across, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old Mar 20, 17, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Many of the hub 777 flights I've taken still use the 3-3-3 or 2-5-2 configuration, and the ORD-SFO flights I've seen recently have 2-5-2 map loaded. I assumed it went from a 9-across to a 10-across, but maybe I'm wrong.
According to OP, it was originally 28J. 28J is 10 across in Y.
Old Apr 7, 17, 6:12 pm

UA701 DEN-LAX 68 on upgrade list

Friday Night in DEN......
April 07
UA701 the 19:05 DEN-LAX
777-200 28J with 3x4x3 has 68 on the upgrade waitlist (as well as few standbys)
Old Jun 1, 17, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
137 on the upgrade list for UA794 today SFO-ORD turd bird. I'm #18 as a gold with a mileage-supported upgrade.

Group 2 line stretches back to gate 84 (departing from 86).
Old Jun 1, 17, 12:55 pm

Upgrade shenanigans happen quite frequently, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Landscaper View Post
Was on another flight today and #28 out of 72 on the upgrade list. I wasn't expecting anything, obviously. When I got to the airport, first class was already full. I sat in my original 1st row coach aisle seat.(not that bad for a 4-hour flight)

Old Jun 1, 17, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
137 on the upgrade list for UA794 today SFO-ORD turd bird.
Ouch. And only three upgrades total.
Old Jun 1, 17, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
137 on the upgrade list for UA794 today SFO-ORD turd bird. I'm #18 as a gold with a mileage-supported upgrade.

Group 2 line stretches back to gate 84 (departing from 86).
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Ouch. And only three upgrades total.
Three seems high for that plane, frankly.

BTW—'turd bird': excellent moniker! ^
Old Jun 1, 17, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a "turd bird"?
Old Jun 1, 17, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a "turd bird"?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-subfleet.html
Old Jun 1, 17, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Three seems high for that plane, frankly.

BTW—'turd bird': excellent moniker! ^
As naming goes, I liked 77"Gulag"
Old Jun 2, 17, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold

Search this Thread
Search Engine: