Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by HKBelonger
Just saw an SFO-HKG flight with 30+ on the upgrade list that did not clear and only two names appearing on both standby and upgrade. Are 30 ppl really using some combination of GPUs and MPUs and not clearing? Is something else going on?
Well I could be wrong but I think you can also show on the list if you booked in an eligible fare class... Maybe those people had booked in eligible fare classes for CPU?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
Well I could be wrong but I think you can also show on the list if you booked in an eligible fare class... Maybe those people had booked in eligible fare classes for CPU?
There are no CPUs on SFO-HKG. Yes, it sounds like a lot of failed upgrade attempts.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just saw an SFO-HKG flight with 30+ on the upgrade list that did not clear and only two names appearing on both standby and upgrade. Are 30 ppl really using some combination of GPUs and MPUs and not clearing? Is something else going on?
Yes - that doesn't sound all that unusual for a plane that size.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
There are no CPUs on SFO-HKG. Yes, it sounds like a lot of failed upgrade attempts.
Is that route specific?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is that route specific?
No Polaris marketed flights are eligible for CPU. It's slightly more complicated than that, but that's a good starting metric.

Last edited by findark; Oct 17, 2017 at 12:49 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that route specific?
There are no CPUs on any* transoceanic flights. As you suggest, on CPU-eligible routes, like US domestic flights, you can see very long upgrade lists due to a large number of elites. On non-CPU routes, anybody you see on the list is either a non-rev, a displaced business class passenger, is seated on a coach award with a business class award waitlisted, or has a pending upgrade.

* except for the Oceania routes.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just saw an SFO-HKG flight with 30+ on the upgrade list that did not clear and only two names appearing on both standby and upgrade.
That's an exceptionally long list for that route.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by findark
No Polaris marketed flights are eligible for CPU. It's slightly more complicated than that, but that's a good starting metric.
Originally Posted by jsloan
There are no CPUs on any* transoceanic flights. As you suggest, on CPU-eligible routes, like US domestic flights, you can see very long upgrade lists due to a large number of elites. On non-CPU routes, anybody you see on the list is either a non-rev, a displaced business class passenger, is seated on a coach award with a business class award waitlisted, or has a pending upgrade.

* except for the Oceania routes.
I've been doing this for years yet I'm just now realizing that yes, you guys are correct. (duh) I kept getting it confused with the fare rules for instrument supported upgrades as being the same as CPU requirements - glad I got that confirmation!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's an exceptionally long list for that route.
I don't think it's that long depending on what time you're flying. Flew HKG-SFO a while back on a Sunday and was 15th as a 1k on a K fare and the list was far over 30 deep without including non-revs.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
Leaving CES LAS-EWR
100+ people on upgrade list
Pretty sure it was a 737-9
147 Y/Y+ Seats
20 F seats

I was # 96 (as a plat at the time) and there were many after me.

Also the Group 1 line was insane. Pretty sure the entire plane was in Group 1.
you were number 96 and you are/were a plat? LOL
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VWang1111
I don't think it's that long depending on what time you're flying. Flew HKG-SFO a while back on a Sunday and was 15th as a 1k on a K fare and the list was far over 30 deep without including non-revs.
It's unusual. Right now is a heavy travel period to HKG. Most of the year it is less than 10 or 15 pax. Remember, all these pax need an instrument to list.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by QBK
OK, I have a dark horse contender for "most surprisingly long upgrade list".

Thursday 7/27/17: BWI-IAH on an A319. 49 people on the upgrade list, zero cleared, and I was #14 as a 1K (granted, on a T fare).

Now, this isn't impressive by ORD-SFO 777 standards...

...but this is an A319, so 49/120 in economy were on the upgrade list. And, unlike most of the flights mentioned in this thread, this isn't a hub-hub route. BWI isn't even a particularly high-revenue destination (although I assume this flight had a lot of Beltway Bandits types on it).
I think your last statement hit it spot on. I can be considered a Beltway Bandit (while I'm not really) but I do fly out of BWI if going to SFO/LAX since there is a nonstop and I don't have to deal with Dulles #ugh (although the lounges make it nice, its still meh). Thursday afternoons, Friday afternoons on those nonstops, and those upgrade lists are long. Even surprised me when I first started taking these flights a couple years ago. The 6AM departures however, to SFO, are quite easy for a CPU to clear. First started as a gold and quickly shifted my flying routes out of BWI when I realized I could clear a CPU often as a Gold on a 6 hour flight vs being 50 deep at Dulles.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:31 pm

UA1195 today ORD-EWR there are 13 on the F list after 1 cleared and 115 on the business list after 30 cleared.

Last edited by sdix; Oct 19, 2017 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
The 7:30 AM 737-900 flying ORD-SFO today had 86 on the upgrade list.

My A-319 to RDU at the gate next door had a pathetic 33 by comparison.
UG odds are almost the same 86 for 20 seats or 4.3:1 ratio, RDU is 4.125:1
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Last Friday, LAS-ORD (CES), the upgrade list for a 737-8 was 75 people with 12 Global Services. I was #13 as a 1K flying on a B fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.