Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I knew this would be about ORD-SFO. That route has always been my hardest upgrade. Almost totally high level pax, just watch the group 1 line. It’s the route that I always buy up if I can. Upgrades are futile.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
What did the 1K preboarding mob look like on that flight?

Just sayin', if I were kettle purchasing Premier Access I'd feel pretty crummy...
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Theres arguments for and against the EU model. On a flight of say 2hrs I can get a hot meal and drinks as opposed to A cookie or packet of crisps (chips). An EU airline would depart with empty seats rather than upgrade an elite for the sake of it. Upgrades are always nice but I like my loyalty rewarded with dedicated ch3ck in areas, private priority security and access to a lounge with a restaurant service and self service buffet and unlimited complimentary drinks from the bar because even if I had paid for thst expensive first class ticket I wouldn’t get lounge access.
Better yet, I flew SQ last month intra-Asia in coach and received a first hot towel service, a printed menu, a hot meal, an ice cream sundae, and a second hot towel service before landing. I was confused for a moment and thought I was in UA Polaris, but then I remembered there is no second hot towel service on United
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Google also was hosting a pretty big tech conference this week (Android Dev Summit) so there were likely quite a few people travelling out there too. I know my coworkers who write Android code were going to that and at least one was on that flight.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
"So you're saying there's a chance?"
halls120, atword and chemengin like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Why does the OP continue to fly with an airline that treats them so well.

I guess in Europe with the mantra pay for the cabin you want to travel in and you won’t be disappointed is a good thing.
AND choose the best seat possible as if that’s where you’ll end up!
I game out best possible seat against possible UG.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cova
One issue is that more people are flying and over time more people are earning elite status and Lifetime elite status, but the size of the aircraft used are smaller. In days bygone, UA would have been flying a DC10 on this route, and there would be fewer Elites, and F fares would be much higher.

Boeing made a blunder by discontinuing the 757 with no follow on. At lease UA does have (from CO) some 753s which have 24 F seats.
But would those 4F seats make an appreciable difference in the 100+ name upgrade list? Even the Tens were only 28F, just like the current 77G.

It's true that more people fly, and more people fly more often, than ever before, so elite ranks have certainly swelled among the fewer airlines left standing post-consolidation. This is also a result of the proliferation of inexpensive advance-purchase F fares (especially in connecting markets over ORD), and cabins filling much earlier, with those erstwhile-empty seats that were allocated to elites closer to departure now occupied by passengers willing to pay the smaller premium over Y.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jimmc66
I was on the early morning ORD/SFO flight this past Monday. First Class was occupied by almost all Google employees at what is rumored to be "discounted" F-fares.
Google’s discount for ORD-SFO isn’t actually that great because ORD isn’t a very large remote office.

Most business negotiate the rates for high volume routes and get a modest blanket discount on all other routes.

I’ve been 30 deep on the upgrade list for EWR-SFO on a Monday as 1K and that is a route that requires an RPU.

This just sounds like a normal flight to SFO in this tech market.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Just got silver

Just got silver. Hadnt had any status in a few years. I told my wife dont expect to see any upgrades. Havent yet even on flights IAH_DSM. Not really expecting much. dont fly on business. Most of the miles were accumulated on a trip to the Phillipines on EVA.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
UA IAH to EWR- waitlist

My flight literally has 61 on the standbye list and 48 on the upgrade list with F=FULL and ECO=FULL. Yikes 😮
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:09 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chebert999
My flight literally has 61 on the standbye list and 48 on the upgrade list with F=FULL and ECO=FULL. Yikes 😮
The relatively modest snow storm that hit the NYC area on the 15th messed up the 16th worse than I can recall seeing in similar situations. I was flying out of LGA that Friday and ended up on a 6 hour delayed 9AM flight where my 2PM went out at 8PM. EWR was similar. Lots of people sleeping on the floor the night before who then caught massive delays the next day. Not a great start for Ops to the winter weather season.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
HNL-LAX - 29 in line. F was full. E - took them all. We had 3 seats open in the end.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by augs

Google’s discount for ORD-SFO isn’t actually that great because ORD isn’t a very large remote office.

Most business negotiate the rates for high volume routes and get a modest blanket discount on all other routes.

I’ve been 30 deep on the upgrade list for EWR-SFO on a Monday as 1K and that is a route that requires an RPU.

This just sounds like a normal flight to SFO in this tech market.
Yes, but with Android developers only 2% will be on the latest flight. The bulk of them will be on flights from 2 and 3 years ago.

Android fragmentation joke.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
IAH to EWR last Friday was 48 on the upgrade list with F full. There were also 61 on the regular standby list.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chebert999
IAH to EWR last Friday was 48 on the upgrade list with F full.
That's just a normal every day of the week UA flight.
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.