Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If it makes you feel any better, had I been on that flight I'd probably 103rd on the list
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
My ORD-SFO Monday morning flights have been similar to this. F was only for those who paid and maybe a GS or two upgrade. E+ feels like the 1K section on those flights. The reason for having a list so long (besides what was already mentioned) is because if someone didn't see their name on the list they would undoubtedly call/email UA to complain about it.
FlyingNone, jsloan, n198ua and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
102 on a 739 is pretty crazy (as is 35 as a 1K). Definitely worth posting:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...er-seen-4.html
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Google's annual global travel spend is over a BILLION dollars. Of course they have negotiated rates with their preferred carriers.

Their travel team in Dublin is amazing.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
To make me feel good about making the first page?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I flew on a couple of flights on Frontier over the weekend. I swore I would never fly them again, but I had last-minute travel, and the price was less than 1/5 that of United (even though the corresponding United flights were 3/4 empty - a topic for another thread).

Anyway - both flights were completely full, but when they offered early boarding for elites, exactly zero people boarded when they were called. No loyalty there. The fact that United has these long lists certainly points out the difference between the airlines, and the fact that despite the inability to upgrade all the time, the perquisites are more enticing at United.
tryathlete and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Why does the OP continue to fly with an airline that treats them so well.

I guess in Europe with the mantra pay for the cabin you want to travel in and you won’t be disappointed is a good thing.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jimmc66
As a 1K I was 35th on the list of 102 names placed on the "upgrade queue".

Hub-to-hub I would expect a higher level of F-qualified upgraders. I've never seen a list quite this long however.
There's an entire thread of such long upgrade lists that this will probably be merged with, but...

Lets presume nobody had been upgraded in advance, so lets just forget F. This was a 737-900, so it has 159 people in Y. A few of the people on the upgrade list were potentially NSRA (staff after a "free" flight), or people booked in F on a later flight that were standby for this flight, so lets just guess 97 actual passengers on the upgrade list.

That's about 60% of passengers that are Silver or higher status. On a Monday morning hub-to-hub flight. Which really isn't all that high a ratio given that the vast majority of them are likely frequent business travelers.

So why show all 102 names when clearly they aren't going to clear? Because if they didn't then they GA's would be pestered by Silvers on a G fare asking why they aren't showing on the upgrade list when they should be!
FlyingNone, jsloan and writerguyfl like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Why does the OP continue to fly with an airline that treats them so well.

I guess in Europe with the mantra pay for the cabin you want to travel in and you won’t be disappointed is a good thing.
I agree we should buy a premium cabin ticket if we want to fly in the premium cabin. Occasionally, on a not-so-busy route on an off-peak day, you may get an upgrade (like my friend who got upgraded LAX-SFO on a Tuesday as Silver), but in most cases, don't count on it.

In EU, you are welcome to pay for a premium ticket in an intra-EU flight, except that you will sit in the exact same seat as an economy seat.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by docbert

So why show all 102 names when clearly they aren't going to clear? Because if they didn't then they GA's would be pestered by Silvers on a G fare asking why they aren't showing on the upgrade list when they should be!
Yeah, there's really no "point" other than UA has designed an upgrade list to rank everyone and display it. Sometimes it's short; sometimes it's long. The alternatives are all worse, right? The only thing I could imagine is a list that shows only the number of people equal to the remaining J/F seats and then shows everyone else on their BP that they've been added to the list. Personally I'd rather see I'm 105 than simply "in an irrelevant place on the list" - at least there's humor value.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:31 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I would take it as info that you need to buy a P/Z/A/C/D fare to be up front on the consulting run from Chicago to SFO. I'm on a D fare to LAX tomorrow mid-day on a Thursday with F booked full and zero upgrades clearing. I, for one, much prefer the list on my phone to the old days of having to stand nervously at the gate waiting for the magic click of the PA system and hearing your name paged.
Kacee and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
but an upgrade list like that also can reinforce if you really want F on ORD-SFO, you should consider purchasing it in the future.....
Or consider getting a job at google
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
One issue is that more people are flying and over time more people are earning elite status and Lifetime elite status, but the size of the aircraft used are smaller. In days bygone, UA would have been flying a DC10 on this route, and there would be fewer Elites, and F fares would be much higher.

Boeing made a blunder by discontinuing the 757 with no follow on. At lease UA does have (from CO) some 753s which have 24 F seats.

I agree with a poster above, you need to see the upgrade list - so you know you are on the flight roster. All Elites on UA get on the list. AA can have large lists, but many lower elites don't make the request, since it costs coupons (earned or purchased) - so less show.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
To answer the thread title... that 101 people need to be no shows for the last person to get an upgrade.
Pretty sure you knew this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by naumank
I agree we should buy a premium cabin ticket if we want to fly in the premium cabin. Occasionally, on a not-so-busy route on an off-peak day, you may get an upgrade (like my friend who got upgraded LAX-SFO on a Tuesday as Silver), but in most cases, don't count on it.

In EU, you are welcome to pay for a premium ticket in an intra-EU flight, except that you will sit in the exact same seat as an economy seat.
Theres arguments for and against the EU model. On a flight of say 2hrs I can get a hot meal and drinks as opposed to A cookie or packet of crisps (chips). An EU airline would depart with empty seats rather than upgrade an elite for the sake of it. Upgrades are always nice but I like my loyalty rewarded with dedicated ch3ck in areas, private priority security and access to a lounge with a restaurant service and self service buffet and unlimited complimentary drinks from the bar because even if I had paid for thst expensive first class ticket I wouldn’t get lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.