Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-26, 2016

Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jgsx
Travel waiver extended to include original flights from Jan. 22-26. Terms have also been updated. Alternate travel dates extended to include Feb. 2.. HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!

IMPORTANT NOTICE
If you are trying to reschedule your reservation on the UA website and get an error message, try this: if the flight you are trying to change is scheduled to leave within 24 hours, try using the check-in feature on the UA website to change your flight. SEE Post #291 in this thread for direct link.

Link to weather waiver at bottom of page

1/25. 10:50 PM CST

EWR continues to cancel flights because of snow removal problems at EWR. Only one runway, snow piled in front of many gates. Reported by EWR764, reliable
post # 469...keep checking your flights and have alternate plans ready. This situation at EWR will have a ripple effect at other airports.

Official announcements from UA (@united on twitter):

United ‏@united 1h1 hour ago
We will suspend flights at our Dulles hub and other mid-Atlantic airports starting Friday, Jan. 22, at 4 p.m. ET.
United ‏@united
We’re suspending all flights at Newark on Saturday and plan to resume on Sunday.
1:16pm 1/22/16
Daily updates about cancelled flights and other important news:
At 6 am EST 1/22 UA added on the "Important notices"section of the UA website that Baltimore, DCA, IAD, and Philadelphia will all begin cancelling flights on Friday afternoon.

At 11 am EST 1/22, EWR was added to the list of airports where UA will begin cancelling flights on Friday afternoon.

On 1/22 , New York LGA was added to the list of UA airports that will begin cancelling flights on Friday afternoon.

Waiver extended to Jan. 25, alternate travel dates extended to include Jan. 29

On 1/23, NY Gov. Cuomo announces travel ban to keep citizens off roads. The area is expecting record-breaking snowfall. If roads cannot be cleared, workers cannot get to EWR...UA ground workers and flight crews. UA may need to cancel more flights Sunday & Mon. Keep watching your flight status & making alternative plans.
For story about NYC: nydailynews.com

1/23 2 PM. CST..... Flight Aware announces 130 UA flights cancelled on Sunday 1/24 at EWR flightaware.com

At 3 PM, Flight Aware announces another 36 UA flights cancelled on Sunday at EWR.
(total 166 ) 49% of flights.

1/23 3PM ....UA announced no operations on Sunday 1/24 at Washington D.C. area airports and limited operations at New York City area airports.

1/23 4:30 PM CST...Flight Aware announces another 69 UA flights at EWR have been cancelled on Sunday.
That is a total of 235 flights...68% of UA's operations at EWR !!

1/23 6:30 PM CST...Flight Aware announces another
19 UA flights at EWR have cancelled for Sunday.
That is a total of 254 flights...74% of UA's operations at EWR!!!

1/23 10:30 PM CST travel waiver extended to include Jan. 26. Terms to Change flights extended to include Feb. 2. Use link at bottom of page to see revised waiver.

1/24 3:00 AM CST - Flight Aware announces more UA Flight cancellations for Sunday:
IAD - 77 (61%); DCA - 5 (38%); BWI - 3 (21%);
PHL - 7 (41%); BOS - 7 (17%); LGA - 24 (66%)

1/24. 4:00.AM CST
Flight Aware announces UA cancellations for Mon. 1/25 (this may possibly change some as cities affected and airports dig out and ground and inflight crews can begin work)

EWR -67 (19%); LGA -3 (6%); IAD -51 (41%); DCA -7 (41%);
BWI - 8 (61%); PHL - 9 (47%); BOS - 6 (12%)

1/24 8:30 PM - even though Flight Aware reported some flights leaving IAD and DCA on Sunday, the airports report they were closed all day Sunday and will have very limited operations on Monday 1/25 (source flydulles.com , flyreagan.com). perhaps UA did not bother reporting cancellations to Flight Aware. Both airports plan to have at least one runway open for Monday morning.

1/25 4:00 AM CST
Flight aware posts Flight cancellations for UA on Monday for major airports that were in the storm: This may change some during the day. Keep watching your flight and have a backup plan ready.
EWR - 86 (23%);LGA - 4 (8%); IAD -51(40%); DCA - 7(38%);
BWI - 8 (61%); PHL - 9 (47%); BOS - 8 (14%)

1/25 7:30 AM CST
Flight Aware posts that UA has cancelled an additional 26 flights at EWR for Monday....total 112 (30%)

1/25 11:30 AM CST
Flight Aware has posted that UA has cancelled another 29 flights at EWR for Monday.
That brings the total to be 141 (37%). This will affect other cities as well. Keep watching your flights.

1/25 12:30 PM CST
3 more UA flights cancelled at BOS...total 11 (20%)
5 more UA flights cancelled at IAD...total 56 (43%)

1/25 2:30 PM CST
9 more UA flights cancelled at EWR today..total 150 (39%)

1/25. 3:00 PM CST
Initial report on UA cancellations for Tuesday 1/26:
EWR - 24 (7%); LGA - 0; IAD - 3 (2%); DCA - 0;
BWI - 0; PHL - 0; BOS - 2. Seems like things are looking better. Keep watching your flights.

1/25 9:00 PM CST
7 more UA cancellations at EWR on Monday.
Total 157 (40%)

1/25. 9 PM CST
Tuesday 1/26 UA cancellations at main airports in the storm:
(updated from 3 PM report)

EWR - 107 (31%); LGA - 0; IAD - 3 (2%), DCA - 0;
BWI - 0; PHL - 0; BOS - 10 (20%)

1/25, 100% of UA flights cancelled at EWR and LGA

1/26 4:30 AM CST
UA cancellations 1/26 update:
EWR - 98 (28%) keep watching your flights as this may change during the day if progress in snow removal may be made...
LGA - 0; IAD - 4 (3%); DCA - 0; BWI - 0; PHL - 0;
BOS - 8 (16%) however, BOS added 3 evening flights to EWR that are on schedule to attempt to get PAX from BOS

Link to weather waiver:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies
Print Wikipost

Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-26, 2016

Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:33 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Exclamation Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-26, 2016

I think it's still premature for UA to issue a weather waiver for the WAS area, but given all the models are now suggesting double-digit snowfalls for the region, it seems almost inevitable we'll get one.

I'm guessing either Wednesday night or Thursday during the day? (The weather is supposed to arrive Thursday night through the weekend.)

I am antsy as I have travel Friday morning, and obviously want to reschedule ASAP to minimize additional costs. I paid UA way, way too much in change fees last year.
===
MODERATOR EDIT

I've changed the title of this thread as a weather waiver has now been issued for January 22-[25]

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx

goalie
UA forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 22, 2016 at 9:28 pm Reason: Update period of weather waiver.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:37 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
You are right, it is premature for this discussion as no waiver yet.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
It is only Monday. The forecast might be changed later. The following is from the nation's weather authority, National Weather Service. Be safe!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...5#.Vp5m1Oc7718

Friday

Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday Night

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Saturday

Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night

A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA1K
there will be a waiver issued...but prob not until tomorrow? all signs pointing towards a significant snowstorm. i know it's still early, but confidence in the models is high.

either way i would begin planning alternatives for when the waiver is issued.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not too early

When you have vacation plans that have you connecting at IAD Saturday morning with limited flight options for destination (GCM). On top of being a resort location - hotel has 7 day cancel policy, so out $500 bucks if things go totally awry.

Let's just say I am quite anxious. Trying not to be a pessimest, both I see the whole trip going to hell.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:53 am

I don't understand the reluctance to do it now. I'm mean there is high confidence there will be something severe enough to disrupt operations Fri-Sun.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
FWIW, a number of the most reliable models are projecting 20"+ for DC proper---some forecasting significantly more. Most every model is pushing 8"+ for the whole region. I think early morning tomorrow (if not tonight), they'll issue a waiver.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:08 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by SweetpeaFlyer
When you have vacation plans that have you connecting at IAD Saturday morning with limited flight options for destination (GCM). On top of being a resort location - hotel has 7 day cancel policy, so out $500 bucks if things go totally awry.

Let's just say I am quite anxious. Trying not to be a pessimest, both I see the whole trip going to hell.
You are always welcome to change your flights now .
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
My bet is friday morning.
I am waiting to change my friday flight to thursday. Headed to San Diego for the weekend, rather be stuck there than here in DC in 3 ft of snow.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mkr
You are always welcome to change your flights now .
With all the change fees - it just gets too expensive.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Is there any way to set up an email alert for when a UA weather waiver is issued?

Not that would be a valuable service for FT, or another online community, to provide. Then, people could make changes before the open space on alternative flights gets snapped up.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
Is there any way to set up an email alert for when a UA weather waiver is issued?

Not that would be a valuable service for FT, or another online community, to provide. Then, people could make changes before the open space on alternative flights gets snapped up.
I rather it not be on email so us in the know can change first
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
1/22-23 Mid-Atlantic Snowstorm

Due to arrive IAD from CUN on 1/23 and wondering if UA will likely announce a preemptive travel waiver to change flight without penalty. From experience, it doesn't take much snow to snarl things at Dulles.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:19 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by happywanderer
Due to arrive IAD from CUN on 1/23 and wondering if UA will likely announce a preemptive travel waiver to change flight without penalty. From experience, it doesn't take much snow to snarl things at Dulles.
IME, IAD does OK with snow ... just not massive events like they're currently predicting. A few inches = delays, deicing, etc. Double-digit accumulation = proactive flight cancellations by UA, airport shut down, etc.

My wager is on a waiver coming out tomorrow (Wednesday) night, or Thursday during the day. I'm hoping sooner rather than later, as I do have hotels I have to change, too, and I need to be able to find alternate availability on flights.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:40 am

I have a feeling UA will plan on all planes our of IAD by friday noon at latest. Latest maps show about 26 inches at IAD which will close it for 2-3 days. its more that noone will be able to get to IAD more than anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.