Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-26, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jgsx
Travel waiver extended to include original flights from Jan. 22-26. Terms have also been updated. Alternate travel dates extended to include Feb. 2.. HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!

IMPORTANT NOTICE
If you are trying to reschedule your reservation on the UA website and get an error message, try this: if the flight you are trying to change is scheduled to leave within 24 hours, try using the check-in feature on the UA website to change your flight. SEE Post #291 in this thread for direct link.

Link to weather waiver at bottom of page

1/25. 10:50 PM CST

EWR continues to cancel flights because of snow removal problems at EWR. Only one runway, snow piled in front of many gates. Reported by EWR764, reliable
post # 469...keep checking your flights and have alternate plans ready. This situation at EWR will have a ripple effect at other airports.

Official announcements from UA (@united on twitter):

United ‏@united 1h1 hour ago
We will suspend flights at our Dulles hub and other mid-Atlantic airports starting Friday, Jan. 22, at 4 p.m. ET.
United ‏@united
We’re suspending all flights at Newark on Saturday and plan to resume on Sunday.
1:16pm 1/22/16
Daily updates about cancelled flights and other important news:
At 6 am EST 1/22 UA added on the "Important notices"section of the UA website that Baltimore, DCA, IAD, and Philadelphia will all begin cancelling flights on Friday afternoon.

At 11 am EST 1/22, EWR was added to the list of airports where UA will begin cancelling flights on Friday afternoon.

On 1/22 , New York LGA was added to the list of UA airports that will begin cancelling flights on Friday afternoon.

Waiver extended to Jan. 25, alternate travel dates extended to include Jan. 29

On 1/23, NY Gov. Cuomo announces travel ban to keep citizens off roads. The area is expecting record-breaking snowfall. If roads cannot be cleared, workers cannot get to EWR...UA ground workers and flight crews. UA may need to cancel more flights Sunday & Mon. Keep watching your flight status & making alternative plans.
For story about NYC: nydailynews.com

1/23 2 PM. CST..... Flight Aware announces 130 UA flights cancelled on Sunday 1/24 at EWR flightaware.com

At 3 PM, Flight Aware announces another 36 UA flights cancelled on Sunday at EWR.
(total 166 ) 49% of flights.

1/23 3PM ....UA announced no operations on Sunday 1/24 at Washington D.C. area airports and limited operations at New York City area airports.

1/23 4:30 PM CST...Flight Aware announces another 69 UA flights at EWR have been cancelled on Sunday.
That is a total of 235 flights...68% of UA's operations at EWR !!

1/23 6:30 PM CST...Flight Aware announces another
19 UA flights at EWR have cancelled for Sunday.
That is a total of 254 flights...74% of UA's operations at EWR!!!

1/23 10:30 PM CST travel waiver extended to include Jan. 26. Terms to Change flights extended to include Feb. 2. Use link at bottom of page to see revised waiver.

1/24 3:00 AM CST - Flight Aware announces more UA Flight cancellations for Sunday:
IAD - 77 (61%); DCA - 5 (38%); BWI - 3 (21%);
PHL - 7 (41%); BOS - 7 (17%); LGA - 24 (66%)

1/24. 4:00.AM CST
Flight Aware announces UA cancellations for Mon. 1/25 (this may possibly change some as cities affected and airports dig out and ground and inflight crews can begin work)

EWR -67 (19%); LGA -3 (6%); IAD -51 (41%); DCA -7 (41%);
BWI - 8 (61%); PHL - 9 (47%); BOS - 6 (12%)

1/24 8:30 PM - even though Flight Aware reported some flights leaving IAD and DCA on Sunday, the airports report they were closed all day Sunday and will have very limited operations on Monday 1/25 (source flydulles.com , flyreagan.com). perhaps UA did not bother reporting cancellations to Flight Aware. Both airports plan to have at least one runway open for Monday morning.

1/25 4:00 AM CST
Flight aware posts Flight cancellations for UA on Monday for major airports that were in the storm: This may change some during the day. Keep watching your flight and have a backup plan ready.
EWR - 86 (23%);LGA - 4 (8%); IAD -51(40%); DCA - 7(38%);
BWI - 8 (61%); PHL - 9 (47%); BOS - 8 (14%)

1/25 7:30 AM CST
Flight Aware posts that UA has cancelled an additional 26 flights at EWR for Monday....total 112 (30%)

1/25 11:30 AM CST
Flight Aware has posted that UA has cancelled another 29 flights at EWR for Monday.
That brings the total to be 141 (37%). This will affect other cities as well. Keep watching your flights.

1/25 12:30 PM CST
3 more UA flights cancelled at BOS...total 11 (20%)
5 more UA flights cancelled at IAD...total 56 (43%)

1/25 2:30 PM CST
9 more UA flights cancelled at EWR today..total 150 (39%)

1/25. 3:00 PM CST
Initial report on UA cancellations for Tuesday 1/26:
EWR - 24 (7%); LGA - 0; IAD - 3 (2%); DCA - 0;
BWI - 0; PHL - 0; BOS - 2. Seems like things are looking better. Keep watching your flights.

1/25 9:00 PM CST
7 more UA cancellations at EWR on Monday.
Total 157 (40%)

1/25. 9 PM CST
Tuesday 1/26 UA cancellations at main airports in the storm:
(updated from 3 PM report)

EWR - 107 (31%); LGA - 0; IAD - 3 (2%), DCA - 0;
BWI - 0; PHL - 0; BOS - 10 (20%)

1/25, 100% of UA flights cancelled at EWR and LGA

1/26 4:30 AM CST
UA cancellations 1/26 update:
EWR - 98 (28%) keep watching your flights as this may change during the day if progress in snow removal may be made...
LGA - 0; IAD - 4 (3%); DCA - 0; BWI - 0; PHL - 0;
BOS - 8 (16%) however, BOS added 3 evening flights to EWR that are on schedule to attempt to get PAX from BOS

Link to weather waiver:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies
Print Wikipost

Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-26, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I have HUCA since yesterday every now and then, and can't get anyone to budge off my flight out of IAD at 545pm fri and I have a P fare.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Every time I've had travel near a storm like this, I have changed my flight and paid the $200 change fee a day or two before the waiver. I've never regretted it (once there was 30" in BOS, another time ORD was down for 36 hours). The biggest issue with waiting is availability, the next flight available may end up being 12-48 hrs after the airport opens.

For a few inches of snow, I'll take my chances. For 2+ feet at IAD, no way, that place may take a week to get back to normal if it all falls at once.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
FWIW, latest model runs absolutely blasts the whole DC metro area (20+inches, locally 36 inhces). Considerable wind gusts as well. I wouldn't be surprised if United announces something in the next few hours. It's shaping up to perhaps challenge the all time record--at the very least seems to be competing for #2 all-time for DC proper.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm surprised UA has not made an announcement earlier. Would it not make sense to start looking for and booking alternatives now instead of announcing it later and having a crush of phone calls with a tight window to resolve?

In any event, my guess on when the waiver will be announced is Saturday, 23JAN.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by sing-along

In any event, my guess on when the waiver will be announced is Saturday, 23JAN.
I was just calling again, the agent said she wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come out friday morning, ha.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
I was just calling again, the agent said she wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come out friday morning, ha.
They're probably waiting for Delta to announce one, like everything else they do!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I just saw something that said a blizzard watch has been issued for DC and Baltimore. I'm thinking that might be an indication a waiver should be issued.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
I just saw something that said a blizzard watch has been issued for DC and Baltimore. I'm thinking that might be an indication a waiver should be issued.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...?blizzardwatch
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Neither DL nor AA has issued a waiver yet.

Originally Posted by johnden
Every time I've had travel near a storm like this, I have changed my flight and paid the $200 change fee a day or two before the waiver. I've never regretted it (once there was 30" in BOS, another time ORD was down for 36 hours). The biggest issue with waiting is availability, the next flight available may end up being 12-48 hrs after the airport opens.

For a few inches of snow, I'll take my chances. For 2+ feet at IAD, no way, that place may take a week to get back to normal if it all falls at once.
That's some solid advice.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:06 am

WN is the only one I see so far with a waiver in place. I bet 2 more hours.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:18 am

United's Twitter account seems to be responding to customer's requests for a fee waiver on a person by person basis, asking for direct messages of confirmation number, so they can "take a look at it". Maybe they'll make an announcement soon.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:19 am

FWIW - I just called the 1K line and was rerouted for free...wish they had communicated a little clearer so I could have made the change earlier as availability was already very limited, but I guess it is what it is...Ill be the 6-4 guy crammed in the middle seat on the IAD-IAH flight...
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by kapstone
FWIW - I just called the 1K line and was rerouted for free...wish they had communicated a little clearer so I could have made the change earlier as availability was already very limited, but I guess it is what it is...Ill be the 6-4 guy crammed in the middle seat on the IAD-IAH flight...
They said they will move me if I can find another seat in my fare class. P a day out, I doubt it. She said they have had nothing but calls and can't do anything...HUCA time.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
They're probably waiting for Delta to announce one, like everything else they do!
That's when I'll call UA..
To ask them how many miles I have.

Just kidding...good luck everyone potentially affected by this wx problem.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:24 am

"At this time we have not issued a travel waiver, but we have been proactive w/reservations affected in the area...." -United Twitter reply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.