Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-26, 2016

Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jgsx
Travel waiver extended to include original flights from Jan. 22-26. Terms have also been updated. Alternate travel dates extended to include Feb. 2.. HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!

IMPORTANT NOTICE
If you are trying to reschedule your reservation on the UA website and get an error message, try this: if the flight you are trying to change is scheduled to leave within 24 hours, try using the check-in feature on the UA website to change your flight. SEE Post #291 in this thread for direct link.

Link to weather waiver at bottom of page

1/25. 10:50 PM CST

EWR continues to cancel flights because of snow removal problems at EWR. Only one runway, snow piled in front of many gates. Reported by EWR764, reliable
post # 469...keep checking your flights and have alternate plans ready. This situation at EWR will have a ripple effect at other airports.

Official announcements from UA (@united on twitter):

United ‏@united 1h1 hour ago
We will suspend flights at our Dulles hub and other mid-Atlantic airports starting Friday, Jan. 22, at 4 p.m. ET.
United ‏@united
We’re suspending all flights at Newark on Saturday and plan to resume on Sunday.
1:16pm 1/22/16
Daily updates about cancelled flights and other important news:
At 6 am EST 1/22 UA added on the "Important notices"section of the UA website that Baltimore, DCA, IAD, and Philadelphia will all begin cancelling flights on Friday afternoon.

At 11 am EST 1/22, EWR was added to the list of airports where UA will begin cancelling flights on Friday afternoon.

On 1/22 , New York LGA was added to the list of UA airports that will begin cancelling flights on Friday afternoon.

Waiver extended to Jan. 25, alternate travel dates extended to include Jan. 29

On 1/23, NY Gov. Cuomo announces travel ban to keep citizens off roads. The area is expecting record-breaking snowfall. If roads cannot be cleared, workers cannot get to EWR...UA ground workers and flight crews. UA may need to cancel more flights Sunday & Mon. Keep watching your flight status & making alternative plans.
For story about NYC: nydailynews.com

1/23 2 PM. CST..... Flight Aware announces 130 UA flights cancelled on Sunday 1/24 at EWR flightaware.com

At 3 PM, Flight Aware announces another 36 UA flights cancelled on Sunday at EWR.
(total 166 ) 49% of flights.

1/23 3PM ....UA announced no operations on Sunday 1/24 at Washington D.C. area airports and limited operations at New York City area airports.

1/23 4:30 PM CST...Flight Aware announces another 69 UA flights at EWR have been cancelled on Sunday.
That is a total of 235 flights...68% of UA's operations at EWR !!

1/23 6:30 PM CST...Flight Aware announces another
19 UA flights at EWR have cancelled for Sunday.
That is a total of 254 flights...74% of UA's operations at EWR!!!

1/23 10:30 PM CST travel waiver extended to include Jan. 26. Terms to Change flights extended to include Feb. 2. Use link at bottom of page to see revised waiver.

1/24 3:00 AM CST - Flight Aware announces more UA Flight cancellations for Sunday:
IAD - 77 (61%); DCA - 5 (38%); BWI - 3 (21%);
PHL - 7 (41%); BOS - 7 (17%); LGA - 24 (66%)

1/24. 4:00.AM CST
Flight Aware announces UA cancellations for Mon. 1/25 (this may possibly change some as cities affected and airports dig out and ground and inflight crews can begin work)

EWR -67 (19%); LGA -3 (6%); IAD -51 (41%); DCA -7 (41%);
BWI - 8 (61%); PHL - 9 (47%); BOS - 6 (12%)

1/24 8:30 PM - even though Flight Aware reported some flights leaving IAD and DCA on Sunday, the airports report they were closed all day Sunday and will have very limited operations on Monday 1/25 (source flydulles.com , flyreagan.com). perhaps UA did not bother reporting cancellations to Flight Aware. Both airports plan to have at least one runway open for Monday morning.

1/25 4:00 AM CST
Flight aware posts Flight cancellations for UA on Monday for major airports that were in the storm: This may change some during the day. Keep watching your flight and have a backup plan ready.
EWR - 86 (23%);LGA - 4 (8%); IAD -51(40%); DCA - 7(38%);
BWI - 8 (61%); PHL - 9 (47%); BOS - 8 (14%)

1/25 7:30 AM CST
Flight Aware posts that UA has cancelled an additional 26 flights at EWR for Monday....total 112 (30%)

1/25 11:30 AM CST
Flight Aware has posted that UA has cancelled another 29 flights at EWR for Monday.
That brings the total to be 141 (37%). This will affect other cities as well. Keep watching your flights.

1/25 12:30 PM CST
3 more UA flights cancelled at BOS...total 11 (20%)
5 more UA flights cancelled at IAD...total 56 (43%)

1/25 2:30 PM CST
9 more UA flights cancelled at EWR today..total 150 (39%)

1/25. 3:00 PM CST
Initial report on UA cancellations for Tuesday 1/26:
EWR - 24 (7%); LGA - 0; IAD - 3 (2%); DCA - 0;
BWI - 0; PHL - 0; BOS - 2. Seems like things are looking better. Keep watching your flights.

1/25 9:00 PM CST
7 more UA cancellations at EWR on Monday.
Total 157 (40%)

1/25. 9 PM CST
Tuesday 1/26 UA cancellations at main airports in the storm:
(updated from 3 PM report)

EWR - 107 (31%); LGA - 0; IAD - 3 (2%), DCA - 0;
BWI - 0; PHL - 0; BOS - 10 (20%)

1/25, 100% of UA flights cancelled at EWR and LGA

1/26 4:30 AM CST
UA cancellations 1/26 update:
EWR - 98 (28%) keep watching your flights as this may change during the day if progress in snow removal may be made...
LGA - 0; IAD - 4 (3%); DCA - 0; BWI - 0; PHL - 0;
BOS - 8 (16%) however, BOS added 3 evening flights to EWR that are on schedule to attempt to get PAX from BOS

Link to weather waiver:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies
Print Wikipost

Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-26, 2016

Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:28 pm

Hey All!

New to flying (as in, only do it for work). We have a flight scheduled out this Friday from Dulles at 8:50am to MSY. What's your thoughts on cancellations? We wanted to switch to Thursday but it's upwards of $1000 to reschedule the flight.

I appreciate any input!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by aer5181
Hey All!

New to flying (as in, only do it for work). We have a flight scheduled out this Friday from Dulles at 8:50am to MSY. What's your thoughts on cancellations? We wanted to switch to Thursday but it's upwards of $1000 to reschedule the flight.

I appreciate any input!
Friday morning you might be ok, but wait until the waiver is out, then go ahead and swap.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:33 pm

Thanks! Hoping we can swap!!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, KF
DCA-ORD Friday....

In the same boat, booked on DCA-ORD Friday afternoon. I called the 1K line today to see if they were willing to start moving people but no dice. I'll keep checking back and have already picked out two potential alternatives on Thursday or earlier Friday. Fingers crossed they'll still be available.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:37 pm

Where are you guys getting your weather info? I'm only seeing ~1' for IAD on Friday evening. I have a flight into at around 11am and one out at 344pm.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I see the mods have updated the thread title appropriately; they may need to update it again if the storm reaches all the way to BOS as the NWS is currently predicting. As it is, they're calling for 55 mph winds into New England as part of the weather.

Originally Posted by the188
Where are you guys getting your weather info? I'm only seeing ~1' for IAD on Friday evening. I have a flight into at around 11am and one out at 344pm.
National Weather Service, and the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang.

1' would still shut IAD down for some hours; you'd likely see 18-24 hours of only international widebodies arriving, followed by reduced schedules for 24-36 hours after the storm has passed.

Last I checked, they had moved back the heaviest snowfall periods from early Friday to late Friday; the problem with your 3:44pm flight IMHO will be if UA decides to proactively cancel so they don't have planes get stuck at IAD through, say, Sunday. Based on current forecasts, you'd be leaving right in the middle of the heaviest snow.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:58 pm

Thanks for the link. Only my inbound (SCE to IAD) is on UA. My outgoing is on AV going south... Hopefully it makes it out.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by the188
Thanks for the link. Only my inbound (SCE to IAD) is on UA. My outgoing is on AV going south... Hopefully it makes it out.
i would bet on a UX flight from SCE being canceled for friday evening. all forecast models are predicting large amounts of snow for IAD. it will most likely close friday evening if the forecast holds up.

i remember snowmageddon. IAD was closed for a few days if i remember correctly.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Give this link to CS agent

If you call UA now, please give the agent this link. He/she can put into documentation of your change request. You will get the fee waiver for changing your schedule before UA issued a waiver. This worked for me before. Good luck.
http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-storm-jonas-forecast
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:59 pm

My bet for when the waiver is posted is noon on Wednesday.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I am scheduled to fly LAS-IAD Friday late morning and arriving evening, then IAD-RIC last flight of the day.

Based on current forecast, there is a snow ball's chance in hell that I will get into RIC Friday night. Even arriving into IAD is uncertain, and there is a real possibility of LAS-IAD being cancelled Friday morning.

I would want to starting planning options ASAP, but have to wait for UA to decide on declaring weather emergency.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I'm supposed to be on the 10:50 EWR-TLV flight Saturday. The "fun" part of this: Because this is third-party-purchased travel, it's up to me to get to EWR Saturday. My existing plan to take Amtrak up that afternoon looks decidedly iffy, so I bought a backup ticket on the Acela to NYP for Thursday night.

It's good that Amtrak offers full refunds up to 24 hours before (can we please get some resolution to the forecast before 8 p.m. tonight?) and that I can crash with friends in the city. But I feel lousy about the prospect of spending two more days away from my family and literally abandoning them to a blizzard.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United Premier Gold
I'm getting really worried about this as well! I have a Saturday AM flight from IAD to LHR, and I want to switch it to Friday AM (heavy snow looks like it will start Friday afternoon). The flights have plenty of space at the moment, but I'd like to not play chicken with United over my travel plans, seeing who flinches on the change fee first, as this is for work. I'm really hoping the waiver kicks in today. The weather forecast keeps getting uglier.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
The NWS said they will start posting their snowfall forecasts Wednesday afternoon. I'm guessing waivers will start to pop up some time after that.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you call UA now, please give the agent this link. He/she can put into documentation of your change request. You will get the fee waiver for changing your schedule before UA issued a waiver. This worked for me before. Good luck.
http://www.weather.com/storms/winter...jonas-forecast
I called late last night and got through in record time. CSR said she could waive the $200 change fee but I'd still have to pay a fare difference. I hung up and kept my original flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.