Global services experiences 2016

Old Jan 18, 16, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Global services experiences 2016

First flights of the new year received interesting greeting at LAX -

I checked in at the GS counter, very nice woman gives me a boarding pass and then walks me all the way down to the TSA checkpoint from the right hand outside lane, passing over 25+ very patient people,

when we get to the front of the line and to the TSA folks, she pulls the rope, stands in front of the next person in line and turns to me and says :"you are next Mr. XXX"

Very pleasant way to start the year off.
Old Jan 18, 16, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, SPG Ambassador & Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Prez, AVIS 1st, Amtrak Select
Flt cancels. As we get off the plane, I fire up the app and the next flight is sold out and the seat map shows no available seats. I'm showing re-booked to a flight the following morning.

Other guy from the flight I don't know and I head straight to the United Club.

Agent says to other guy, who is standing right next to me: "There are no seats available on our next flight. I've put you on standby and protected you on the AA flight in four hours."

My agent says to me: "Thank you for being Global Services. We're so sorry for this inconvenience. Here's your boarding pass and seat assignment for our next flight."

Needless to say, I found a seat far away in a corner from that guy!

Last edited by EnvoyBoy; Jan 18, 16 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 18, 16, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy View Post
Flt cancels. As we get off the plane, I fire up the app and the next flight is sold out and the seat map shows no available seats.

Other guy from the flight I don't know and I head straight to the United Club.

Agent says to other guy, who is standing right next to me: There are no seats available on our next flight. I've put you on standby and protected you on the AA flight in four hours.

My agent says to me: Thank you for being Global Services. We're so sorry for this inconvenience. Here's your boarding pass and seat assignment for our next flight.

Needless to say, I found a seat far away in a corner from that guy!
Similar thing happened to me about a week ago. Great service.
Old Jan 18, 16, 3:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services 2MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Originally Posted by jandj View Post

First flights of the new year received interesting greeting at LAX -

I checked in at the GS counter, very nice woman gives me a boarding pass and then walks me all the way down to the TSA checkpoint from the right hand outside lane, passing over 25+ very patient people,

when we get to the front of the line and to the TSA folks, she pulls the rope, stands in front of the next person in line and turns to me and says :"you are next Mr. XXX"

Very pleasant way to start the year off.
Same thing happened to me on 1/4 at LAX... Except it was 5:00am and there must have been 300 people in the TSA line. This was followed with the Mercedes-Benz transfer at ORD on 1/15. Well done United!
Old Jan 18, 16, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM, AA (EXP), SPG Platinum, Priority Club, Ambassador Platinum, Global Entry
Today, in Group 1 for boarding and Global Services agent seeks me out and personally moves me around the line to board as GS is announced. Proactive and appreciated. Small gesture but great service from a caring GS Agent.
Old Jan 18, 16, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
GS Visibility EWR diminished

So far Global Services agents have not been too visible at EWR. Granted I have not had a difficulty where I need their support. However, in the past there would always be a GS agent at the gate on international flights. They would gather GS members at the gate or they would wander through the plane checking to see if their GS needed any support. No sight of them on my last two international flights.
Also a bit of a surprise was on my recent return flight from Paris in BF. Typically GS would get their first meal choice. This was done either by the attendant coming to the GS members first or when taking orders they would take first and second choices from everyone except GS members. I was quite surprised on my flight when I was asked for my first and second meal choice.
I hope GS perks are not going the way of 1K perks
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by feobrien View Post
I was quite surprised on my flight when I was asked for my first and second meal choice.
Did you get your first choice? Some agents just ask the same question through the cabin and then prioritize in the galley.
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by feobrien View Post
I was quite surprised on my flight when I was asked for my first and second meal choice.
Had often FA ask me for second choice as well. I think it makes on the face for less discriminating treatment of non-GS. I am fine with that, as always get the first choice anyway.
Old Jan 18, 16, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
I had an FA ask for my first and second choices on a flight LHR-IAH on Saturday. First time I can recall that happening -- then she explained she had 19 GSs in BF on the 767! (Still got my first choice.)
Old Jan 18, 16, 6:39 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Platinum, SPG Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sierra Kilo View Post
I had an FA ask for my first and second choices on a flight LHR-IAH on Saturday. First time I can recall that happening -- then she explained she had 19 GSs in BF on the 767! (Still got my first choice.)

Wow--19 GS?

I remember when there were only a few GS on any flight. (Have been GS off and on for the last 6 years--2010, 2013, 2014 and now 2016 again). That seems like a lot of GS compared to the past. Maybe it's just the influx of GS that will be expiring on 1/31 and the newly minted ones. If they're expanding the program that much, some of the perks are bound to not be as useful.
Old Jan 18, 16, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by mtyler77 View Post
Wow--19 GS?

I remember when there were only a few GS on any flight. (Have been GS off and on for the last 6 years--2010, 2013, 2014 and now 2016 again). That seems like a lot of GS compared to the past. Maybe it's just the influx of GS that will be expiring on 1/31 and the newly minted ones. If they're expanding the program that much, some of the perks are bound to not be as useful.
Exactly, happens every January. And when you factor in GS MM companions, the numbers can add up. Last January on my PVG-ORD flight there were 23. Yep, 23.
Old Jan 19, 16, 9:41 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
In EWR, on the C2 checkpoint level, right by the entrance to the AirTrain there is a an entrance labeled Global Services with an agent controlling access. What is that?
Old Jan 19, 16, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
In EWR, on the C2 checkpoint level, right by the entrance to the AirTrain there is a an entrance labeled Global Services with an agent controlling access. What is that?
Private check-in and baggage check for Global Services passengers. Global First pax in 3-cabin a/c can also use it, as I recall. Once through the other side, it puts you right at the document checker at the front of the pre-check line.

There are similar set-ups at ORD and SFO.
Old Jan 19, 16, 9:52 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Using the GS lobby in Newark is fantastic as you bypass the crazy security line and go right to the front of the TSA PRE line.
Old Jan 19, 16, 10:14 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
Private check-in and baggage check for Global Services passengers. Global First pax in 3-cabin a/c can also use it, as I recall. Once through the other side, it puts you right at the document checker at the front of the pre-check line.

There are similar set-ups at ORD and SFO.
Thanks! I've been wondering about that since I started flying out of EWR last spring.

At a previous job I was home-based so the airline bought us revenue tickets to/from our airplanes wherever they might be in the world. I was Platinum on both UA and DL. Got to use the FC check in at Bahrain for the UA981 which was similar to what you describe. It was very nice... Then on to the Dillman Club for some snacks and wifi before boarding.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: