FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United - Positive Experiences 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1739522-united-positive-experiences-2016-a.html)

mkr Jan 16, 2016 3:48 pm

United - Positive Experiences 2016

I thought a new thread could be started to reflect customer-friendly decisions made by employees who have been more empowered by UA management in 2016 and going forward.

I have never experienced this experience I will describe below happening since the merger, but experienced this a few times on CO before the merger as a CO OnePass Platinum member (that was the top elite level in the OnePass program).

I wonder if this is the result of some new policy with UA as its new President and CEO has promised better customer experience and has promised to empower employees with more ability to make decisions regarding customer service?

I was sitting in the gate area waiting for boarding. I was traveling alone on a coach Saver Award ticket, reserved for seat 7F. I was called to the podium and the GA gave me a new BP, seating me in 1A in a 12 seat First Class cabin (737-800). She smiled at me and said, " Mkr, I was able to get you into First. Thank you for flying UA." I was very surprised and thanked her. There were still seats empty in economy and after the door closed, there was still an empty seat in First.

I enjoyed a nice lunch flying to DEN, and I just felt so great to have this gesture from UA. I have not felt so appreciated for my business on UA since the merger. I really enjoyed the flight. UA gained a lot of goodwill from this simple gesture.

And it really did not cost too much for UA to do this. I ate a lunch that had already been prepared that otherwise would have been wasted. I had a couple of complimentary alcoholic beverages. Big deal. This is the best I have felt about UA since the merger. It seems they are trying harder.

I do not have a MP credit card. Although I am a 1K, I have never been upgraded on an award ticket since the merger. I did not think that a gate agent could do this.

Has anyone else experienced this upgrade on an award ticket without having the credit card? Is this a result of UA empowering employees to make customer-friendly gestures? If this is a new policy, I applaud this. I hope UA will allow more freedom to its employees to make customer- friendly decisions. It used to be this way in former times. Cudos to UA if this is an example of the future for customer -friendly decisions. Cudos to this GA. I remember what she looks like, and she gets a box of chocolates from me next time!

I ask others to relate similar customer-friendly gestures going ahead in 2016.

physioprof Jan 16, 2016 3:58 pm

I think this was probably the HVF shock and awe program, or whatever it's called.

Ari Jan 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 26029581)
I think this was probably the HVF shock and awe program, or whatever it's called.

Coming from United, it truly is. :D

(It is "Surprise and Delight"). ;)

enviroian Jan 16, 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 26029581)

No I don't think so. I flew phx-IAH-sat today in saver coach. Was upgraded on both segments. Reservation even states "CPU Eligible"

Ari Jan 16, 2016 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 26029649)
No I don't think so. I flew phx-IAH-sat today in saver coach. Was upgraded on both segments. Reservation even states "CPU Eligible"

But do you have a United Explorer or Club Credit Card?

enviroian Jan 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 26029654)

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 26029649)

But do you have a United Explorer or Club Credit Card?

No. Just a 1K.

mkr Jan 16, 2016 5:00 pm

There was a "surprise & delight" program discussed in a thread, but I think it was only referenced by a reporter. I do not recall UA making any announcement. And that referred to HVF receiving CPU in advance of the time windows, or upgrade on paid Business on the day of the flight to Global First on International flights.

My experience was different. Contrasted to enviroian, the notification of "CPU" eligible did not appear on my reservation.

I hope this thread will also have reports of UA employees making other types of customer- friendly gestures that are unexpected.

wxguy Jan 16, 2016 5:12 pm

Today I flew on a domestic sCO 787-8 flight. I was chatting with an FA, and she told me she has been on the job just seven months, and "loves it." I asked her what training she had with respect to GSs. She said they had a session specifically on GS and 1K benefits, and was told "do whatever it takes to keep them happy."

She also confirmed that the F/J meal-order policy is front-to-back, ask for 1st and 2nd choice, and sort it in the galley by status. She admitted that some of her colleagues do the hop-around method, but that they were instructed not to do that.

JerseyCityS Jan 16, 2016 6:57 pm

I was given a free drink or two in Y last week - I'm only a gold. Things like this really do help the airline. It costs them almost nothing to comp a drink, and really helps with loyalty.

Makes for a positive environment for customers and employees.

mh3265a Jan 17, 2016 7:53 am

Was offered to enter the IAD GlobalFirst lounge as part of the "surprise and delight" The GA at the UC was very nice and went out of her way to thank us for our loyalty. It was genuine and helped make the trip start off on the right foot.

mkr Jan 17, 2016 8:02 am

How did you receive the offer at IAD? Text message?

CoMooter Jan 17, 2016 8:19 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 26029658)
No. Just a 1K.

That statement in its simplicity summarizes everything that has gone wrong at UA over the last couple of years. FWIW, my positive experience with UA as of late - continuing to avoid them at all costs.

popoemt Jan 17, 2016 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a (Post 26031923)
Was offered to enter the IAD GlobalFirst lounge as part of the "surprise and delight" The GA at the UC was very nice and went out of her way to thank us for our loyalty. It was genuine and helped make the trip start off on the right foot.

Curious what class you were flying and how the offer was sent to you?

JustinLacy Jan 17, 2016 10:24 am

UA919 (LHR->IAD) yesterday in BF. I placed my blanket (still wrapped) on the ottoman prior to takeoff. I briefly dozed off during taxi/takeoff (yes, I can sleep during takeoff), and when I woke up, the blanket was "gone". I was in one of the four middle seats, and I have no idea if someone lifted it. After meal service, I got up and asked one of the FA's if they had any extra blankets, explaining the "disappearance" of mine. She said they didn't have extras because BF was full, but would try to find one that the passenger wasn't going to use. I politely told her it wasn't necessary and returned to my seat, but a few minutes later, she came by with one from GF. When deplaning later, she jokingly commented about the disappearing blanket.

Still no idea what happened to it. I looked all around the seat and never found it.

fumje Jan 17, 2016 11:03 am

Originally Posted by JustinLacy (Post 26032500)
UA919 (LHR->IAD) yesterday in BF. I placed my blanket (still wrapped) on the ottoman prior to takeoff. I briefly dozed off during taxi/takeoff (yes, I can sleep during takeoff), and when I woke up, the blanket was "gone". I was in one of the four middle seats, and I have no idea if someone lifted it.

If you were in a forward-facing seat, during takeoff it may have slid off the 'ottoman' and hid itself under something.