Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA *G get lounge access when flying Eurowings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
11 Feb 2019
Information for passengers departing with Eurowings:
  • Passengers who have booked a SMART or BEST fare and who have a Miles & More HON Circle Member or Senator card have access to Lufthansa Senator and Business Lounges on the day of their departure.
  • Passengers who have booked a SMART fare and who have a Miles & More Frequent Traveller card have access to Lufthansa Business Lounges on the day of their departure.
  • Passengers who have booked a BEST fare have access to Lufthansa Business Lounges on the day of their departure.
  • Passengers who have a Star Alliance Gold card only have access to Lufthansa’s Senator and Business Lounges if they are customers of United Airlines (UA) or All Nippon Airways (NH).
Originally Posted by FlyingPhD
The german version of the Lufthansa website clearly says that no fare restriction apply.

lufthansa.com/de/de/loungetypen-und-zugang

Gäste, die eine Star Alliance Gold Card besitzen, haben nur dann Zugang zu den Senator und Business Lounges der Lufthansa, wenn sie Kunden der Fluggesellschaften United Airlines (UA) und All Nippon Airways (NH) sind. Dies ist von dem gebuchten Tarif unabhängig.
" Dies ist von dem gebuchten Tarif unabhängig. " ==> "This is independent of the booked tariff (fare)"

older wording
[LH Lounge access] Advice for passengers who are departing with Eurowings:
  • Passengers have free access to the Lufthansa Senator and Business Lounges in Germany provided they have a Miles & More HON Circle Member or Senator Card.
  • Passengers who have booked the Eurowings BEST fare and Frequent Travellers who have booked the SMART fare are entitled to use the Lufthansa Business Lounges on the day of their flight.
  • Passengers who have a Star Alliance Gold Card, however, do not have access to the Lufthansa Lounges. Exceptions to this are the Star Alliance Gold Card customers of the airlines United Airlines (UA) and All Nippon Airways (NH), who receive access to Lufthansa’s Senator and Business Lounges.
  • Not confirmed, but plausible: Rules will change from March 26, 2017:
    Access to LH Lounge is only possible when departing on a SMART or BEST fare. BASIC fare does not entitle to lounge access.
Print Wikipost

Does UA *G get lounge access when flying Eurowings?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LondonElite
EW SH is here to stay.
Which is a good thing. EW is a fine short haul airline.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: UA GS
Here’s an interesting hypothetical: If I’m flying EW out of LHR, after November 1, will I be able to access the United Club, even as a UC member? I think not, right? No *A boarding pass. Not that I’d necessarily want to because you risk a significant backtrack. As *G Senator Lounge makes more sense but that would appear an odd gap for those who aren’t considering United status earns you benefits on EW.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder

LH is getting rid of Eurowings long-haul. I want it gone on short-haul as well, but I’m not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.
I still don't see your concern. There is no cutback for UA*G I am aware of

Originally Posted by LondonElite
EW SH is here to stay.
exactly

Originally Posted by halls120
Which is a good thing. EW is a fine short haul airline.
agreed

Originally Posted by villox
Here’s an interesting hypothetical: If I’m flying EW out of LHR, after November 1, will I be able to access the United Club, even as a UC member? I think not, right? No *A boarding pass. Not that I’d necessarily want to because you risk a significant backtrack. As *G Senator Lounge makes more sense but that would appear an odd gap for those who aren’t considering United status earns you benefits on EW.
I don't see why you wouldn't have access. The LH lounge will be much more convenient though.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cfischer
I don't see why you wouldn't have access. The LH lounge will be much more convenient though.
Because Eurowings isn’t a Star Alliance member:

”Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star AllianceTM or a contracted partner operated flight for entry into all United Club locations.”

Presumably contracted partner in this case means like Skywest or something but it’s certainly vague enough.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

”Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star AllianceTM or a contracted partner operated flight for entry into all United Club locations.”

Presumably contracted partner in this case means like Skywest or something but it’s certainly vague enough.
EW is a partner airline ... should have access.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

If the Eurowings flights are on a ticketed itinerary all by themself and not booked on the ticket with a Star Alliance airline’s code, I would anticipate a problem with lounge access this coming winter for United Club holders and for various *G cardholders.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

Badly worded, yes, but presumably it's the same list of partners listed under MP's airline partners page, and Eurowings is listed as a partner.

If the Eurowings flights are on a ticketed itinerary all by themself and not booked on the ticket with a Star Alliance airline’s code, I would anticipate a problem with lounge access this coming winter for United Club holders and for various *G cardholders.
*A and UA lounge access rules are based on operating carrier, not marketing carrier.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTahCha
*A and UA lounge access rules are based on operating carrier, not marketing carrier.
I know, just like I know Eurowings is not a Star Alliance carrier despite being LH’s baby.

This game of alliance carriers using their owned baby carriers’ non-alliance membership status to avoid offering alliance elite status benefits (in full) on parts of their network can’t end soon enough for me. Unfortunately, it’s not likely to end anytime soon with Eurowings since LH is only killing off Eurowings for long-haul while continuing with Eurowings short-haul.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Badly worded, yes, but presumably it's the same list of partners listed under MP's airline partners page, and Eurowings is listed as a partner.

Agreed, today we get access for WK and EW flights ... I don't see that change an time in the near future.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfischer
Agreed, today we get access for WK and EW flights ... I don't see that change an time in the near future.
“We” is all *Gs on all Eurowings flights? Doesn’t sound like it.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“We” is all *Gs on all Eurowings flights? Doesn’t sound like it.
Have you been turned away? I haven't.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Looking for an answer as the response to this question:

Are all *Gs on all Eurowings flights entitled to Star Alliance lounge access when flying on Eurowings? Doesn’t sound like it.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are all *Gs on all Eurowings flights entitled to Star Alliance lounge access when flying on Eurowings?
Universally at all *A lounges, probably not as EW is not *A

At certain *A lounges, for certain *G programs, yes. LH, UA, NH seem to have an arrangement. LH is explict only UA, NH and LH elites.

However there limited reason to care as EW is transitioning to just a European sport haul carrier and there are not that many other carrier lounges to worry about

But that would be a subject for the other *A forums, this forum is a forum on UA lounges and/or UA elites
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking for an answer as the response to this question:

Are all *Gs on all Eurowings flights entitled to Star Alliance lounge access when flying on Eurowings? Doesn’t sound like it.
and this is the UA forum So yes, the answers here as they pertain to partner airlines are generally for UA*G ... else they are better posted and answered in the Star Alliance or another forum. Access to LH bus/sen lounges for UA*G flying EW has not been a consistent problem; a few random denials which IMO are not substantially more frequent than other incorrect denials.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:38 pm
Suspended

You wanted to know why I wanted EW gone?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Universally at all *A lounges, probably not as EW is not *A
And because Star Alliance benefits are not universally applicable for Eurowings, I not only welcome EW going away on long-haul

.... I want it gone on short-haul as well.
If LH folded in Eurowings short-haul or made it a Star Alliance member, the issue of needing to educate/push back for even LH lounge access as a UA*G on Eurowings would decline, and other *Gs would benefit too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.