Lack of announcements at gate and on plane

Old Jan 15, 16, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Lack of announcements at gate and on plane

I had my first flight on UA in about a year and I was surprised at the lack of announcements by employees.

I got to the gate at 6:05PM for a 6:12 boarding, and I did not hear any announcements.
At 6:20, I asked another person if he knew if they were going to start boarding soon, and he said: "Everyone's already on the plane".
At no time did I hear an announcement in the 15 minutes I was standing there. I did see a sign behind the counter that showed "boarding" with zones 1 and 2 in black.
The gate agent remained quiet when I walked up and didn't say anything when I boarded. On the plane, the first and only announcement I heard pre-departure was the pre-recorded safety message.

It's just an observation, and maybe announcements were made prior to me getting on the plane, but I was just surprised.
Old Jan 16, 16, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Not surprising on United.

You just gotta wait till they start boarding and watch yourself.

Of course it still doesn't explain that people should line up for boarding instead of flooding around the front until there group boards.
Old Jan 16, 16, 10:07 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
You likely missed the announcement for boarding, they boarded early, and not many PAX.

On board, did they not make an announcement of any kind after safety announcement? No announcement of beverages? No announcement to prepare cabin for landing? Did you sleep maybe?
Old Jan 17, 16, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by mkr View Post
You likely missed the announcement for boarding, they boarded early, and not many PAX.

On board, did they not make an announcement of any kind after safety announcement? No announcement of beverages? No announcement to prepare cabin for landing? Did you sleep maybe?
He said the only announcement *pre-departure* was the safety one. I'm sure there were others whilst in flight.

Given it was a pre-recorded safety message I'm guessing this was a UX flight. Odds are other announcements were made on board - they just didn't bother repeating any of it when the last one or two passengers boarded.

Nothing unusual here - the announcements were almost certainly made, both at the gate and on board - the OP just missed them. If he hadn't boarded, they would have make another announcement for the missing passenger(s). the only announcement that he's required to hear by law - the safety briefing - he heard.

I had the same thing yesterday - walked up to the gate for a 757 flight dead on boarding time and they had obviously just started boarding group 1 a minute or two early. Lined up in group 1, boarded, and never heard a single announcement at the gate even though they would have certainly made them.
Old Jan 17, 16, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
This was a full 739 out of SFO.
I was one of the last pax to board - and I never heard an announcement at the gate.

After the double chime, there were announcements from co-pilot and purser.
Old Jan 17, 16, 12:45 am
Suspended

let's hope this is the new norm
Old Jan 17, 16, 2:11 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa View Post
let's hope this is the new norm
Amen brother. Airlines wonder why people travel with their ear phones in: the constant stream of vaguely helpful announcements has finally caused me to do that as well. The airport is full of them, the boarding area is full of them, and the airplane is full of them.
Old Jan 17, 16, 2:50 am
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
He said the only announcement *pre-departure* was the safety one. I'm sure there were others whilst in flight.

Given it was a pre-recorded safety message I'm guessing this was a UX flight. Odds are other announcements were made on board - they just didn't bother repeating any of it when the last one or two passengers boarded.

Nothing unusual here - the announcements were almost certainly made, both at the gate and on board - the OP just missed them. If he hadn't boarded, they would have make another announcement for the missing passenger(s). the only announcement that he's required to hear by law - the safety briefing - he heard.

I had the same thing yesterday - walked up to the gate for a 757 flight dead on boarding time and they had obviously just started boarding group 1 a minute or two early. Lined up in group 1, boarded, and never heard a single announcement at the gate even though they would have certainly made them.
I missed the "pre-departure" part. Too sleepy to read properly.
Old Jan 17, 16, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG
The fewer announcements, the better. Many US airports have competing announcements going on at the same time. The airport is announcing something about leaving luggage unattended is a no-no while the gate agent tells everyone that the flight will be boarding in 5 minutes. People can't make either out, so the gate agent repeats it. Enough already. I think they should use the monitors to tell people when it is boarding and which zone.
Old Jan 17, 16, 9:20 am

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
The fewer announcements, the better. Many US airports have competing announcements going on at the same time. The airport is announcing something about leaving luggage unattended is a no-no while the gate agent tells everyone that the flight will be boarding in 5 minutes. People can't make either out, so the gate agent repeats it. Enough already. I think they should use the monitors to tell people when it is boarding and which zone.
AMEN

Watch the monitors - also, if they updated the app to include that data, that would be friggin awesome.

I mean, I get a text message from AMEX before the receipt prints at the register that my card was swiped, but United can't figure out how to tell me the plane is boarding electronically.....
Old Jan 17, 16, 9:39 am

Often the gate agents have no microphone training and the announcements are mush mouth garble. Hard to understand and maybe impossible if English is not your first language.
Old Jan 17, 16, 12:53 pm

Programs: United 1K; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott PP; Marriott LT PLT; AA Gold
Why make announcements when practically everyone lines up in the corrals anyways during the boarding process....

Not like people follow what boarding group they are in anyways
Old Jan 17, 16, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I would imagine that there were plenty of announcements on the plane prior to the op's boarding.
Old Jan 17, 16, 2:33 pm
mkr
Suspended

Remember, not all passengers are as experienced as those persons who post in Flyertalk (or fly as often) so they need the announcements about UAs boarding process (even if some don't follow instructions well.)

Perhaps UA could send instructions about boarding by email to passengers in advance. Maybe SOME of them would read and follow the directions.

I agree not all GAs are well-trained in speaking skills on a microphone.

As this has to do with UAs boarding, and the OP missing the announcements, I am trying to figure out how to steer the conversation back on topic. I don't know what to say, after all this is FT.
Old Jan 17, 16, 11:43 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I have been on more than a few flights where boarding is started early. Sometimes they are rushing to get into a window before ATC makes some change. I do notice that a lot of the gates seem to be understaffed. At IAD a year or so ago, there were 2 agents boarding a 777, dealing with seat assignments, upgrades, baggage, etc. and getting the groups on board. Surprised that we made it out on time.

I understand novice travelers may need instructions that I don't but lately it seems the announcements go on and on. A lot of them has to do with passengers and carry on luggage which seems to be a continuous nightmare.

Search this Thread