Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Not renewing United Club --- or should I?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

I have been a UC member for all 5 years that I have been flying United. 80% of my travel is now international in C or F. The only time I even use a UC is when connecting on an international leg.

I don't even bother on a domestic leg as the clubs are so overcrowded and I don't really care about a free glass from a $6 bottle of wine. I'd rather pay for drinks at a nice place or find a quiet corner somewhere in the terminal.

Would there be any other reason to keep my membership? I automatically have access on my international itineraries, right? And also have access to the FCL when traveling internationally because of my GS status whether I am flying C or F.

thoughts?

Last edited by avi8tir; Jan 14, 2016 at 6:39 pm
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I am in the same boat and have never bothered to even have a membership - the only think that has stopped to make me think lately is IRROPS handling - the club can be a lifesaver sometimes when you are on hold with UA (this never used to happen much with GS but it sure does now - especially when I start out early on the east coast when the GS line isn't even open yet - or overseas when it's closed as well...).

In the end I don't have one or plan to - just don't see the value at all.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by avi8tir
... I don't really care about a free glass from a $6 bottle of wine.
There's no way they pay that much for that Sickamore wine.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA
I used to get pissed off at the UClub, but I am now used to it. I enjoy having somewhere to store my stuff, get a relatively cheap (with the UA Card) glass of wine, and a small snack. I know what it is and what it isn't and I think I have come to peace with that. I get it as part of my President Plus card and I feel the other benefits help augment the cost so I don't complain too much about that.

However, I am a little concerned about the new enhanced economy plus that provides club access. Crowded clubs getting more crowded is a bit scary.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
IMO the UC has never been about the food or the aclchol (but then I don't drink while traveling). It has been more of a respite from the crush of the terminal, access to power / wifi, access to agents, a newspaper or two for the plane and yes a few snacks. Unfortunately the times I tend to travel tend not to be during the peak UC times (except EWR for some reason) so I see less of the over crowding that occurs at the peaks. And most of my travel is domestic so little free access due International tickets.

Each needs to look at what they value and decide, there is no one answer for all. But I find value in the value of the lounge over the concourse for waiting (due to uncertainties of SFO area travel I tend be airside 1 hour or bit more prior to departure) worth the annual fee.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold
Also in the same boat. Do about 80% of my travel in Y and mostly on *alliance partners so I can use the club anyways. Not sure I can justify spending the $450 CC renewal.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm debating as well. I bought a 3-year membership right before it was discontinued, and it is finally expiring this February. I am wrangling with if its worth renewing. I even got a reminder email from UA saying my membership is expiring and I've visited 58 times in the past 12 months, but still learning towards no.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
IMO the UC has never been about the food or the aclchol (but then I don't drink while traveling). It has been more of a respite from the crush of the terminal, access to power / wifi, access to agents, a newspaper or two for the plane and yes a few snacks. Unfortunately the times I tend to travel tend not to be during the peak UC times (except EWR for some reason) so I see less of the over crowding that occurs at the peaks. And most of my travel is domestic so little free access due International tickets.
Most of my travel is domestic. After having been a member for 10 years, when they launched the new boarding process, I found that with the crush of people at the gate I was going to the gate early and rarely used the club, so I dropped it.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
I'm fly domestic mostly and UC is a great respite .. place to charge the electronics, coffee/water+snacks and a life-saver in irrops situations. I used to pay for it.. maybe 10+ years.. some companies I've worked for covered the cost.. some didn't. I picked up the Chase Club Card about 4 years ago. Slightly lower cost than retail UC membership but the points and spend waiver are bonuses.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I get UC access as an Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus member. I probably wouldn't pay $450 cash for it...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Slurve30
I'm debating as well. I bought a 3-year membership right before it was discontinued, and it is finally expiring this February. I am wrangling with if its worth renewing. I even got a reminder email from UA saying my membership is expiring and I've visited 58 times in the past 12 months, but still learning towards no.
Wow, I could have written this myself, except I've just had 1 year memberships. Normally average 50+ visits a year, mostly domestic flying.

It was the price increase that did it for me. Once the cost per visit hit double digits I had to ask if it was worth it. The fact that free wifi is becoming more available in airports helped too.

When I first bought the membership, I didn't have a mifi, and airport internet was ~$8. I just kept renewing because I liked being away from the noise and crowds.

Tough call, but I'm not planning to renew when mine expires in February.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by JBord
Wow, I could have written this myself, except I've just had 1 year memberships. Normally average 50+ visits a year, mostly domestic flying.

It was the price increase that did it for me. Once the cost per visit hit double digits I had to ask if it was worth it. The fact that free wifi is becoming more available in airports helped too.

When I first bought the membership, I didn't have a mifi, and airport internet was ~$8. I just kept renewing because I liked being away from the noise and crowds.

Tough call, but I'm not planning to renew when mine expires in February.
Before they put a password on the UC WiFi, when I was a poor grad student, I used to sit on the floor right outside the UC and use it for free.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Also in the same place. I did the 3-year renewal nano-seconds before the price went up and my membership now ends in July.

I'm conflicted - probably not worth is, but I just know I'll kick myself in the butt the first time IRROPS happens.

Walking into the UC and saying "I'm booked on the 7:00 to ORD but I want to get home, can you squeeze me onto the 5:00, the app won't let me change myself" and hearing the BP printer fire up is worth a lot!!
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA1K
i try to make sure most of my travel goes through an airport with a centurion lounge. however, i only use the club for IRROPS or if i am at SNA.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
For me, I continue to renew my membership to have access to free wifi, some drinks, a cubicle to do some work in relative peace, and priority access to agents during IRROPS.

As much as I'd love for full restaurant offerings and a private room to take a nap on long intl layovers, I know what to expect from the UC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.