Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD-SFO & SFO-IAD now flying Int'l 757 configurations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD-SFO & SFO-IAD now flying Int'l 757 configurations?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
UK and Ireland are Europe routes. I know what you are saying, but UK and Ireland are part of Europe.
Yes, they're part of Europe, but not continental Europe. I mean that as being physically part of the continent, and not in reference to anything else. The statement is still correct.

Old May 17, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by char777
Yes, they're part of Europe, but not continental Europe. I mean that as being physically part of the continent, and not in reference to anything else. The statement is still correct.

Where did they say continental Europe??
Old May 17, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The biggest complaints of the TATL 757s were/are that they: 1) were operating primary routes in direct competition with other airlines flying larger equipment; and 2) they were being flown at the limit of their range in adverse winter headwind conditions that resulted in a high incidence of fuel stops on westbound legs.

This summer, just shy of 90% of UAL TATL 757s are flying to the British Isles, plus IAD-LIS, which are the shortest transatlantic hauls United operates. Of those 18 flights:

ORD-SNN
ORD-EDI
IAD-DUB
EWR-EDI (x2)
EWR-GLA
EWR-BHX
EWR-BFS
EWR-NCL
IAD-LIS

have either no competition, or competing flights on 757s. You might even be inclined to consider IAD-LHR as that is the only daytime TATL flight ex-IAD. That's 10/11 of 18 daily flights. The remaining routes with widebody competition (i.e., better options), are as follows

EWR-MAN (JFK-MAN on DL 767)
EWR-SNN (JFK-SNN on DL 767)
EWR-DUB x2 (JFK-DUB on DL 767/EI 330)
ORD-DUB (ORD-DUB on EI 330)
EWR-ARN (EWR-ARN on SK 330)
EWR-OSL (EWR-OSL on SK 330)

That's it.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by char777
All of those except for ARN and OSL are in the UK or Ireland. The UK and Ireland aren't continental Europe.
Oh please stop splitting hairs here. You know well with only 41 757 on TATL they are mostly being used up on Euro routes. Very little domestic 757 action this summer except PS.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Oh please stop splitting hairs here. You know well with only 41 757 on TATL they are mostly being used up on Euro routes. Very little domestic 757 action this summer except PS.
You're still wrong... but I don't see what the dispute is about. The 757 performance issues were overwhelmingly on continental EU routes (which are mostly gone, except for IAD-LIS and EWR-OSL/ARN) and in the winter, which is an entirely different operating environment over the North Atlantic as compared to the summer.

UA never said it was completely removing 757s from EU service. Instead, it was going to concentrate them on the British Isles, where the shorter hauls are less of a performance issue, and UA operates a number of thin, unique routes like GLA, NCL, BHX and BFS. That's exactly what they've done, and the 757 is perfect for these markets.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:55 pm
Suspended

How is it wrong? My point is that UA is still too heavily dependent on 757s across the Atlantic. We were told they would be making more domestic appearances (aside PS) which only seems to be happening during the winter months.

Let's take your list (looking at 7/19):

ORD-SNN
ORD-EDI
IAD-DUB
EWR-EDI (x2)
EWR-GLA
EWR-BHX
EWR-BFS
EWR-NCL
IAD-LIS

=10 Frames

Add What You Forgot:
EWR-DUB (x2!)
EWR-OSL
EWR-ARN
IAD-MAN
IAD-LHR

=6 Frames

PS:
EWR-LAX (x9)
EWR-SFO (x 10)

=Hard to gauge how many frames exactly but for 19x daily at least another 10-12.

Not including spares (don't know how many they keep on the ground at EWR/IAD/ORD) somewhere around 30 of 41 are being used on TATL and PS this summer add a few spares in plus any other routes we forgot, we will not be seeing much domestic TATL activity this summer.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:22 pm

Not including spares (don't know how many they keep on the ground at EWR/IAD/ORD) somewhere around 30 of 41 are being used on TATL and PS this summer add a few spares in plus any other routes we forgot, we will not be seeing much domestic TATL activity this summer.
Don't move the goal posts. This:

The majority of the exCO 757 will be on Euro routes this summer. They are struggling to reduce dependency despite these one off domestic flights
was your original post, which we demonstrated was not the case. No mention of p.s. service.

Your p.s. + transatlantic point is valid, but I don't see what the issue is. United mostly transitioned the 757s that formerly flew in continental Europe to the domestic network, which includes p.s. We will also continue to see sCO 757s on routes to Hawaii, as well as some hub-hub flying, but with the seasonal spike in transatlantic demand, 757s are deployed to routes where they make sense. Come winter, seasonal routes like ORD-DUB/SNN/EDI, IAD-LIS/MAN (forgot that one, BTW), EWR-ARN/OSL/BFS/NCL will cease, and their airplanes will transition back into the domestic market. What's the problem with that?
Old May 17, 2016, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWR764
Don't move the goal posts. This:

was your original post, which we demonstrated was not the case. No mention of p.s. service.

Your p.s. + transatlantic point is valid, but I don't see what the issue is. United mostly transitioned the 757s that formerly flew in continental Europe to the domestic network, which includes p.s. We will also continue to see sCO 757s on routes to Hawaii, as well as some hub-hub flying, but with the seasonal spike in transatlantic demand, 757s are deployed to routes where they make sense. Come winter, seasonal routes like ORD-DUB/SNN/EDI, IAD-LIS/MAN (forgot that one, BTW), EWR-ARN/OSL/BFS/NCL will cease, and their airplanes will transition back into the domestic market. What's the problem with that?
EWR764 - what are you talking about? No goal posts have been tampered with, unlike others who insist on splitting hairs on the geography of Continental Europe. Isn't it pretty obvious between Euro & PS the most of the ex-CO 757s are pretty occupied to have limited domestic presence?

It's not that I have a problem per say with it (although the interiors are worn down so I wouldn't do it), it's just UA said there would be more 752 on domestic routes (which I think we both know many routes operated by sUA 757s could be used on) and they really haven't. It's a little redundant to have 737s flying ala CO on hub-to-hub routes with no IFE. Meanwhile, DL is operating some of those same routes out of Kennedy on larger planes and using their 757s on TATL from spoke destinations to CDG, LHR, & AMS.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:50 pm

EWR764 - what are you talking about? No goal posts have been tampered with, unlike others who insist on splitting hairs on the geography of Continental Europe. Isn't it pretty obvious between Euro & PS the most of the ex-CO 757s are pretty occupied to have limited domestic presence?
Your first post on the subject indicated that the lack of 752s in the domestic system is attributable to their allocation to Europe. After being shown this was not the case, then p.s. enters the equation. That's what I'm referring to.

And sCO 752s have absolutely been used much more often on pure domestic routes than any other time since the merger. There's only so many to go around...

It's not that I have a problem per say with it (although the interiors are worn down so I wouldn't do it), it's just UA said there would be more 752 on domestic routes (which I think we both know many routes operated by sUA 757s could be used on) and they really haven't. It's a little redundant to have 737s flying ala CO on hub-to-hub routes with no IFE. Meanwhile, DL is operating some of those same routes out of Kennedy on larger planes and using their 757s on TATL from spoke destinations to CDG, LHR, & AMS.
Delta and United have very different TATL strategies, but the only routes this summer where you'll find a 767 on DL head-to-head against a 757 from United are to MAN, DUB and SNN. Hardly enough to support a sweeping generalization.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
What UA needs is a replacement to the 757. When Boeing launches its replacement for the 757(we know they will) in about 5 years, I think UA will be one of the first to order.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:46 pm

Mostly 737s

I'm showing mostly 737s in the fall. That said, have they figured out the EWR European hub thing and IAD. Since the CO take over of UA, I assumed they'd get rid of IAD as a European hub.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:49 pm

I got to enjoy a ride on one this past month on IAD-SFO in F which was a great alternative to the afternoon 777 or any other narrowbody on that route. Very sad that this was only a seasonal thing. Now it's back to all 737/320 and one 777 - with the 777 gone in the fall.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
The 757 has been a great aircraft for the airline. UA has done a good job of putting 767's on routes that the 757 couldn't reliably make it.

I wish ORD-SFO would see more of thses aircraft but I'm guessing ORD will see quite a few 777 donestic aircraft with lie flat in First.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by dcdavido
I'm showing mostly 737s in the fall. That said, have they figured out the EWR European hub thing and IAD. Since the CO take over of UA, I assumed they'd get rid of IAD as a European hub.
EWR will remain as the primary east coast international hub with IAD being the secondary east coast international hub.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
EWR will remain as the primary east coast international hub with IAD being the secondary east coast international hub.
If UA ever de-hubs IAD, that will be the end of my flying on UA. There is simply no way I'm ever going through the cesspool that is EWR to get to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.