Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD-SFO & SFO-IAD now flying Int'l 757 configurations?

IAD-SFO & SFO-IAD now flying Int'l 757 configurations?

Old May 17, 2016, 11:54 am
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
I am so sad they seem to have done away with the Int'l Config for the redeyes. Both 11pm-ish flights this week seem to be in the old 738 or 739 configuration. I can't help but wonder why they don't fly a single redeye on a larger aircraft instead. Anyone know?
Old May 17, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
I am so sad they seem to have done away with the Int'l Config for the redeyes. Both 11pm-ish flights this week seem to be in the old 738 or 739 configuration. I can't help but wonder why they don't fly a single redeye on a larger aircraft instead. Anyone know?
The flatbed 757s and international aircraft are pretty much spoken for on international flights and EWR/LAX-SFO flights.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
They'll probably return for the winter. Right now there are more 757s in the transatlantic schedule, predominantly operating eastbound redeye flights to Europe.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
All about utilization.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Too bad they can't put this bird on the DCA-SFO flight! That would be a real treat...
it has cycled in.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
The sCO 752s have also been popping up in DEN doing runs primarily to and from LAX, EWR, and IAD, but also some to OGG, KOA, SFO, and ORD. I haven't been looking at it enough to figure out whether there's a pattern to any of it. From what I can tell, aside from p.s. routes, the sCO 752 has now become a domestic hauler with the few TATL routes left being to the UK and Ireland.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:19 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PenaltyBox
DCA-SFO would be a great candidate for the whole P.S. experience. Morning flight out of DC on a flatbed for a 6-hour trip would be a huge selling point.
DCA is the selling point; no need for any special seats to sell out the flight in F. @:-)
Old May 17, 2016, 12:25 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is flying a lot less than the original announced up to 17 EWR-SFO RTs and 15 EWR-LAX RTs, so there is some spare capacity for other routes.
As someone predicted before (and I fully believe)...

If prior to November '15, EWR-SFO (or LAX) frequency was A, and JFK-SFO (or LAX) frequency was B...

UA claimed that after axing JFK, EWR-SFO frequency would be A+B.

But it's more likely that within a year (by November '16), frequency will be back at A.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by char777
The sCO 752s have also been popping up in DEN doing runs primarily to and from LAX, EWR, and IAD, but also some to OGG, KOA, SFO, and ORD. I haven't been looking at it enough to figure out whether there's a pattern to any of it. From what I can tell, aside from p.s. routes, the sCO 752 has now become a domestic hauler with the few TATL routes left being to the UK and Ireland.
The majority of the exCO 757 will be on Euro routes this summer. They are struggling to reduce dependency despite these one off domestic flights
Old May 17, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
As someone predicted before (and I fully believe)...

If prior to November '15, EWR-SFO (or LAX) frequency was A, and JFK-SFO (or LAX) frequency was B...

UA claimed that after axing JFK, EWR-SFO frequency would be A+B.

But it's more likely that within a year (by November '16), frequency will be back at A.
Really?

The release was that UA would by flying "up to" 17 SFO/15 LAX flights and on peak summer days, they are. This also includes 1-2 daily 777s on each route and a handful of 787-9s for LAX, which approximate the capacity of two p.s. 757s. The move of p.s. to EWR was not supposed to be cumulative and never presented as such; in fact, given the lower capacity of the 75J vs. 737-800/900, it was actually a net capacity cut, although it added a lot more premium inventory. Keep in mind that UA was down to 7x SFO and 5-6x LAX at the end of the JFK station.

I don't think anyone ever expected UA to operate peak frequency during the shoulder and winter season, but current winter schedules show frequency to SFO regularly 14-15 flights during the week, and 12-13 to LAX. There's just no evidence that United is backing off its initial proclamations about the service, as much as some wish it to be true... by all indications, p.s. at EWR has been a winner.

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
The majority of the exCO 757 will be on Euro routes this summer. They are struggling to reduce dependency despite these one off domestic flights
I don't think that's correct. Using July 15 as an index date, by my count, UA has 18 757 transatlantic 757 flights, of which 15 are to the British Isles. The UK, Ireland and Scotland are appropriate 757 markets. Not a majority, and a markedly different utilization pattern from years past. The domestic services clearly are not one-off, either.

Last edited by EWR764; May 17, 2016 at 1:12 pm
Old May 17, 2016, 12:48 pm

Which routes? Poking through schedules in June, the only route I see the 752 flying in continental Europe is EWR-ARN. Partisan talk should at least have some facts behind it to back it up.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Take another poke around EWR to EDI, GLA, DUB, ARN, OSL, MAN, plus IAD and ORD flights as well. With spares that's a lot of the fleet
Old May 17, 2016, 1:14 pm

Take another poke around EWR to EDI, GLA, DUB, ARN, OSL, MAN, plus IAD and ORD flights as well. With spares that's a lot of the fleet
All of those except for ARN and OSL are in the UK or Ireland. The UK and Ireland aren't continental Europe.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:26 pm

Again, not a majority, and mostly the British Isles. Who else is flying to BFS, NCL, BHX, GLA, etc., and with what equipment?

The non-UK/Ireland routes are EWR-OSL/ARN and IAD-LIS.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by char777
All of those except for ARN and OSL are in the UK or Ireland. The UK and Ireland aren't continental Europe.
UK and Ireland are Europe routes. I know what you are saying, but UK and Ireland are part of Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.