Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does it happen a lot? All 16 in first class were there because of upgrades(CPU).

Does it happen a lot? All 16 in first class were there because of upgrades(CPU).

Old Jan 12, 16, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I just got off my flight a couple of hours ago. Waiting for my connecting flight in another couple of hours.

On my previous flight, there were 16 first class seats on the 737-800. All 16 of us were there because of upgrades(CPU). I was #7 on the list and CPU cleared at the gate. There there another 15 people left on the upgrade list who didn't make it.

Does it happen a lot? Not a single first class seat was sold and everyone sitting in it got there for free?
Old Jan 12, 16, 3:31 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
What was the flight# and route where all 16 were upgraded?

How do you know they were all upgraded, and with CPU s? Did you ask all of them? Or were you looking at the Upgrade confirmed list on the Flight Status tool for the flight?

Last edited by mkr; Jan 12, 16 at 5:19 pm Reason: Added questions
Old Jan 12, 16, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Pretty rare. In fact, most of my flights last year had very few upgraders, period (much less battlefield/at-gate upgrades)--say, an average of 15% or less per cabin.

Tuesday is not a big travel day as far as that goes, but still... I've failed RPU-supported Tuesday upgrades in the past year, FWIW.

Are you sure all the upgraders were CPUs? The upgrade list has a bug right now where it shows award tickets as "upgrades" even though they're not. Still, by what you said, there were at least 7 CPUs at the gate, which would be quite extraordinary.

Was there an equipment sub of some sort? (Though the only one which would make sense is from a no-F RJ, like an E145 or CRJ200, upgauging to the 738, and that's not likely...)

Were there extensive irrops? Perhaps the non-upgrade F pax either couldn't get there or took alternate flights due to some kind of irrops problem.
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Originally Posted by weltfrieden View Post
I just got off my flight a couple of hours ago. Waiting for my connecting flight in another couple of hours.

On my previous flight, there were 16 first class seats on the 737-800. All 16 of us were there because of upgrades(CPU). I was #7 on the list and CPU cleared at the gate. There there another 15 people left on the upgrade list who didn't make it.

Does it happen a lot? Not a single first class seat was sold and everyone sitting in it got there for free?
based purely on statistics, this seems pretty rare. To not have a SINGLE paying F customer -- that's getting pretty far out on the probability curve... but I'm sure it happens, especially on a tuesday morning.
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
may happened, but not a lot... Actually, 75% of seats are upgraded is pretty common.
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Very interesting, I have never been on a plane where that has happened.
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:32 pm

I flew PDX-ORD-PHL on Black Friday. Forget which of the segments it was, but based on the number of people showing up as having been upgraded, I think it was only a single seat that had actually been sold.
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:33 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by jackexu View Post
may happened, but not a lot... Actually, 75% of seats are upgraded is pretty common.
Out of curiosity, from where do you get the statistics upon which this statement is based?
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:43 pm

I saw this yesterday:

Given the route & duration not that surprising, however.
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I see it with some regularity on off-peak LAX-SFO flights.

Greg
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I saw this yesterday:

Given the route & duration not that surprising, however.
Does UA really fly a mainline aircraft for a 108 mile flight MSN-ORD yet will fly only RJs between DEN-ATL or DEN-YYZ which are >1100 miles?

In what world does that make sense? Never mind - I know the answer
Old Jan 12, 16, 5:00 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I have seen standard first awards ending up on the list for some reason, so the conclusion isn't g'teed. Also not surprising that there would be very few F purchasers for that route.
Old Jan 12, 16, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA DULtArer
Its very common, theres a thread about it right here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ps-routes.html

Originally Posted by mrswirl View Post
Does UA really fly a mainline aircraft for a 108 mile flight MSN-ORD yet will fly only RJs between DEN-ATL or DEN-YYZ which are >1100 miles?

In what world does that make sense? Never mind - I know the answer
If you think this through a bit you will get the correct answer. Heres a hint. Planes don't run the same routes as elevators.
Old Jan 12, 16, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
SFO-SNA sunday night i believe was most if not all upgraders. 5:55pm departure if anyone wants to check.
Old Jan 12, 16, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Avis Select
On a related note, I flew LHR-IAD yesterday and biz class was less than half full. I asked at the LHR United Club about a comp upgrade and mentioned that I am a million miler. I was unable to get the upgrade. Would it really kill United to upgrade million milers when there is so much open inventory? It would go a long way toward earning the good will that United needs to earn over the years of mismanagement.

I do recall a flight four years ago when we were coming back from a European vacation and the purser upgraded my wife and me (on the plane) because there was availability in business; and that was a trip using Mileage Plus miles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: