Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does it happen a lot? All 16 in first class were there because of upgrades(CPU).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does it happen a lot? All 16 in first class were there because of upgrades(CPU).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
I feel the same way. On a recently flight(737-800), the flight was pretty
empty. No more than 40 or 50 people in coach. First class was completely
full. Maybe 3 or 4 were on paid tickets. The rest, myself included, were
upgrades. Immediately after reaching cruising altitude, I moved back
to an empty coach row. The rows in front and behind me were also empty.
While the coach seats were obviously narrower and less comfortable, the
luxury of having lots of empty personal space was worth more to me.
I understand. UA doesn't really get the whole F cabin logic. Filling F up every time pi**es off real F class flyers that pay for the service. That's why many folks that actually pay for F fly on AA. AA (at least pre-merger) really got it.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by jackexu
may happened, but not a lot... Actually, 75% of seats are upgraded is pretty common.
Not these days with discount first fares out there. 25-50% is much more common out of DCA/IAD.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:10 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Not these days with discount first fares out there. 25-50% is much more common out of DCA/IAD.
IME, 20-25% is the norm on just about every route I fly, be it ex-IAD or ex-SFO. Way fewer upgrades than in the past... discount F fares make a big difference.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:26 am

Just take the final SFO-SEA on sunday nights-usually at most 1 or 2 paid F on a 739 (used to be a 752), with silvers on N fares clearing at T-24 and nonrevs clearing left in right (and E+ usually wide open). Of course, arriving in seattle at 1am isn't exactly the most desirable time to arrive...the flight this weekend is showing 9 for all fare classes, including R, I, and XN
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Not at all. Gate agents can do it for operational reasons only (oversell), but not on a whim to be nice to frequent fliers. The Club really has no authority to do it.

The purser who upgraded the OP really does not have the authority to upgrade on a whim to be nice either. United is very strict on this.

You want it; you pay for it.
Last week, I was on an ORD-FRA flight in Business First Seat 8H (777). Prior to boarding, I looked at the seat map, saw 8C was occupied and that the 2 middle seats (8D, 8G) were unoccupied. Just prior to taking off, the flight attendant moved up an elderly couple from the back to occupy 8D and 8G.

After landing in FRA, I looked at the seat map for the flight, which showed 8D and 8G being unoccupied.

When the couple were seated, the flight attendant seemed to know the couple. I got the impression that they were "friends of the family" and were moved up to BF as a favor. The couple was not familiar with the operations of BF (how seat operated, Video on Demand, etc.).

I, of course, could be wrong. Perhaps they were seated in BF (row 9 or 10) and there seats were broken. It wasn't an Op Up as Economy Plus was about 25% occupied.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:35 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Cargojon
OPH (c) 2016 Cargojon

Other Peoples' Hubs
Well done! Where do I remit my royalty payments?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2016 at 3:25 pm Reason: OT content deleted
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
I understand. UA doesn't really get the whole F cabin logic. Filling F up every time pi**es off real F class flyers that pay for the service. That's why many folks that actually pay for F fly on AA. AA (at least pre-merger) really got it.

UA might as well convert domestic first class to the European business class.
Standard coach seats but with the center seats blocked, which provides at
least a foot and half of space between the two passengers. At least that will
guarantee no rubbing of arms or elbows in first class.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
Interesting topic. I don't think I've seen 100%, but I've seen 75%+ out of IAH. I'll start keeping track.

Last edited by Kevin Adams; Jan 14, 2016 at 8:56 pm Reason: Remove off topic comments
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by PBAudit
Last week, I was on an ORD-FRA flight in Business First Seat 8H (777). Prior to boarding, I looked at the seat map, saw 8C was occupied and that the 2 middle seats (8D, 8G) were unoccupied. Just prior to taking off, the flight attendant moved up an elderly couple from the back to occupy 8D and 8G.

After landing in FRA, I looked at the seat map for the flight, which showed 8D and 8G being unoccupied.

When the couple were seated, the flight attendant seemed to know the couple. I got the impression that they were "friends of the family" and were moved up to BF as a favor. The couple was not familiar with the operations of BF (how seat operated, Video on Demand, etc.).

I, of course, could be wrong. Perhaps they were seated in BF (row 9 or 10) and there seats were broken. It wasn't an Op Up as Economy Plus was about 25% occupied.
They can be terminated from employment if a complaint was filed and verified true.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:30 pm

If Delta stops doing unlimited domestic upgrades United will probably follow suit... I read an article early last week saying this was in works at DAL corporate. I like receiving the upgrades but think the pendulum is going to swing again soon.... Does AA give free domestic upgrades?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ugleeual
Does AA give free domestic upgrades?
At AA - EXPs (Executive Platinums- the top tier, 1K equivalent) get free domestic upgrades.

Platinums (UA Gold equivalent) and Golds (UA Silver equivalent) have to use 500 mile "sticker" certificates. These are earned from flying (4 per 12500 EQM) or can be be purchased for $.

(Edit to add: all AA elites are eligible for free (no sticker) upgrades on flights that are shorter than 500 miles.)

Speaking as an AA EXP (and former UA 1K) it's a great system.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Anyone that wants to buy F class and expects to have no one sitting next to them is free to buy/block that seat if they choose. Otherwise, thats the airline's product that they are free to sell or award to someone. Show me an airlines that flies domestically that will do that. If you think your airline leaves seats open next to you, you are mistaken. They just failed to sell/utilize that product.

I would invite any of those folks in to the DYKWIA thread too. The "real F class flyers" have their own planes.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
At AA - EXPs (Executive Platinums- the top tier, 1K equivalent) get free domestic upgrades.

Platinums (UA Gold equivalent) and Golds (UA Silver equivalent) have to use 500 mile "sticker" certificates. These are earned from flying (4 per 12500 EQM) or can be be purchased for $.

(Edit to add: all AA elites are eligible for free (no sticker) upgrades on flights that are shorter than 500 miles.)

Speaking as an AA EXP (and former UA 1K) it's a great system.
I see... Thanks for the info. Living in DC don't fly much on AA... But the system looks reasonable.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:55 pm

UA 351 yesterday 19/20 in F cleared the upgrade list with everyone that wasn't non-rev clearning
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:15 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
It seems to me that I recall reading somewhere in this Forum that a survey was done and at the top of the list for things desired by Premier members was upgrades. I do not think they will end this benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.