Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
General PlusPoints (was GPU) earning & usage questions [Consolidated]

Note: the term journey is used here to denote travel between a pair of cities, with one or more layovers, and all segments of the journey are part of the same ticket, confirmation number, and record locator. A one way ticket has one journey. A round trip has two journeys. A multicity ticket has three or more journeys.

Can I apply a GPU to UA metal that is ticketed on non-UA ticket stock?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19321483-post23.html says you can.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19324013-post25.html says not always.

Can I use a GPU on flights operated by other airlines?
Yes, Copa, LH and NH.

On Copa, the rules are the same as for flights operated by UA. It can't be done online, so you have to call. The regular Premier desk can't do it, though, even though Copa uses MP as its loyalty program--you'll need to call (or be transferred to) the Star Alliance Help Desk to complete the process. (And it's an involved process for the agents--they have to duplicate the Copa PNR in SHARES and issue you a separate UA PNR. Betwen *A Desk hold times--no priority for Premiers--and the hassle it is for the agents, plan on 30-45 minutes to get this done. It may be simpler if you booked your Copa tickets through United.) Note that an RPU works anywhere on Copa that a GPU works, so don't waste GPUs unnecessarily.

On LH, the process is completely different. You can use a GPU on LH operated fights only if printed for a specific flight of a specific reservation. See
Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

I see GPUs for sale on Craigslist or eBay. May I buy them and use them?
We do not recommend this. If UA determines the GPU was sold, you risk having your M+ account terminated and loss of your miles, status, lifetime miles, etc.

If I have upgraded a flight with miles, cash, GPU, RPU, CPU, etc. from Y to J, may I upgrade to F with a GPU?
Policy does not allow this. However, once upgraded to business you may be offered a cash buy-up to F.

If I apply a GPU on a multi segment journey, what happens one or segments clear, and one or more do not?
The exact wording from united.com is:In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.

This has at least three interpretations when the journey consists of segments that have all lie flat seating, and one or more upgrades to BF or GF fails, but one or more upgrades to BF or GF succeeds. The first is that since the wording is not "if any United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded" the GPU is not redeposited. The second is that the GPU is redeposited, even if for example, ORD-NRT was upgraded, and NRT-SIN was not. The third is that if the longest segment was not upgraded to BF or GF, the GPU is redeposited. In practice, UA agents appear to follow the third interpretation.
UPDATE: The wording in the Mileage upgrade section is a bit clearer and probably also reflects the policy for GPUs.What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?
If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United BusinessFirst® and/or United Global FirstSM, and none of the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.

Redeposits don't always happen automatically, and when you call, you might find agents are trained to follow the longest segment interpretation, whereby if the longest segment is upgraded, even if not BF or GF, then the GPU will not be deposited. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21138703-post394.html of push back and eventual capitulation by UA.

Can I add myself to the wait list within 24 hours of departure?
No, all you can do is attempt to apply the GPU periodically until it clears into upgrade inventory if any opens up. The 1K desk cannot put you on the wait list inside 24 hours because SHARES transfers the flight to airport control.

Do the fare class restrictions apply to domestic flights?
No, you can use a GPU on any fare on any domestic/ any CPU eligible flight.

Is there a maximum layover between segments of a journey?
Unclear. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20453548-post221.html is an example of 38 hours, where the 1K desk applied it on behalf of the customer. What is interesting about this case is that 38 hours is well beyond a layover, which implies that in some cases, one GPU can be used for two journeys on the same ticket even if the two journeys are beyond 12 hours apart (12 hours being the pmUA rule – 4 hours for North American / “domestic” only flights).

How is the waitlist prioritized?
United.com details the process in the "Upgrade confirmation priority" section of this page.
For non-CPU flightsIf an upgrade seat becomes available, waitlisted customers are confirmed automatically based on the Premier® status of the redeeming account***, then fare class, then time of request.
For CPU flights, GS and YBM fares will be handled before GPU/Miles/RPU users and finally CPU requests. Within these groups upgrades are prioritized based on Premier® status of the redeeming account***, then fare class.
If not cleared until gate, it is believe the time factor is based on check-in time.

***On 4/15/15 travelers will no longer inherit the status of the redeeming account and will instead be prioritized by the status of the highest premier member on the PNR they are traveling on.

What is the relative waitlist priority of GPU vs Miles
Appears the use of GPU vs Miles has no impact on the waitlist priority.

May I cross two oceans with one GPU?
Yes if the entire journey is on one confirmation number and the max layover rule (above) is met.

Can I avoid upgrade lottery by booking only flights that have upgrade inventory?
Yes, see Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]. Note that you have to wait for the flight to ticket, by which time upgrade inventory can disappear. If so, cancel (within 24 hours of booking, so no penalty) and try again.

My GPU is still valid, but my journey starts after the GPU expires. Can I use the GPU for that journey?
No.

My GPU is still valid, but my journey starts before the GPU expires, and ends after the GPU expires. Can I use the GPU for that journey?
Yes if the initial flight scheduled departure is prior to expiration.

Can I let someone else use my GPU?
Yes. They will be waitlisted prioritized based on your status until 4/15/2015 at which point they will be prioritized based on their own status (or lack thereof).

If I let someone else use my GPU, do I have to be on the same reservation, same journey and/or same flight?
No to all.

What happens if there are multiple pax on the same reservation confirmation number and the reservation is split; will the GPU(s) that is(are) waitlisted on one or more pax stay with the new reservation?
Yes.

Why do Non-Revs get assigned seats in First/Business instead of upgrading paying customers?
UA’s policy is paying customers have priority for upgrades. However, per UA’s employee benefit package, Non-Revs can have access to unassigned seats if there are no waitlisted paying customers. This Non-Rev benefit is part of the negotiated employee compensation.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) Questions Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:44 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I'm booked into confirmed M there is only waitlist available although there are buckets available J9/C9 etc...when I had a friend of mine try and apply a GPU they said it was only available on miles, that seems odd, has something changed where you can no longer apply a GPU to a waitlist?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
I'm booked into confirmed M there is only waitlist available although there are buckets available J9/C9 etc...when I had a friend of mine try and apply a GPU they said it was only available on miles, that seems odd, has something changed where you can no longer apply a GPU to a waitlist?
Are you within 24 hours of departure?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:56 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you within 24 hours of departure?
No, departure is next week.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No, departure is next week.
Assuming this is a UA operated flight, there is no restriction. If an agent said otherwise, the agent was mistaken. Should be able to apply online.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Kacee is absolutely correct, try again. If they confirm you, which is doubtful, make sure you get the seat assignment from them at the same time and wait to see it confirm on the app / email before you hang up given what I just went through.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Sorry if a similar question has been answered in this super long thread.

Husband and I are both 1K. I have requalified for 2019. He will requalify in late December.

We are planning flights for March and there is upgrade space open to confirm at booking.

All my GPUs expire in 2020 (from requalifying). Husband has GPUs that expire January 2019. I know he can extend 2 of them once he hits 100K in December.

Can i confirm the upgrade space with my 2020 GPUs, and then swap them out for his 2019 ones once they get extended? Will upgrade space have to be open at that time to pull my GPU and apply his?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
...Can i confirm the upgrade space with my 2020 GPUs, and then swap them out for his 2019 ones once they get extended? Will upgrade space have to be open at that time to pull my GPU and apply his? ...
While it is not standard process, can it be done, yes BUT
the real question is, will you be able to find a agent capable and willing to do this (if PZ space s not available).
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:23 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Can i confirm the upgrade space with my 2020 GPUs, and then swap them out for his 2019 ones once they get extended? Will upgrade space have to be open at that time to pull my GPU and apply his?
Why not just confirm the upgrade using your husband's 2019 GPUs? I think they need to be valid at the time of applying for the upgrade, not at the time of the flight.

HTB.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by htb
Why not just confirm the upgrade using your husband's 2019 GPUs? I think they need to be valid at the time of applying for the upgrade, not at the time of the flight.

HTB.
No, the GPU needs to be valid on the date of flight
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
For some reason I can't seem to be able to apply a GPU to my round trip flights to London from Pittsburgh:

PIT -> IAD (can apply), Class K
IAD -> LHR (cannot apply), Class K

LHR -> EWR (cannot apply), Class S
EWR -> PIT (can apply), Class S

They're showing up as United flights, not partners or anything. Booked using some merged ETF certificates, but otherwise I can't figure out why it will only let me apply to the short legs? Granted, I've never used a GPU before... there's no PZ space, but using them due to the amount of open first class seats currently.

**UPDATE**
Answered my own question, I didn't read the graph beforehand as I figured I'd have no problems applying them. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fare types, I just assumed buying a normal economy ticket would've been fine but apparently these were designated as discounted fares.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 15, 2018 at 12:16 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by cmatthews11
Answered my own question, I didn't read the graph beforehand as I figured I'd have no problems applying them. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fare types, I just assumed buying a normal economy ticket would've been fine but apparently these were designated as discounted fares.
It should be possible to buy up to W fare if you want to apply the GPU...all is not lost if you don’t want it to be!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmatthews11
You can call in to upfare to the W fare class (probably about $400 per direction), if you'd like to use an upgrade certificate. Technically that should incur a change fee in addition to the fare differential, but it will usually be waived.

If you wish to do that, be sure to check that PZ has inventory availability beforehand.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I'm assuming that you are traveling on UA since it seems that GPUs can be used to upgrade P fares to First Class on LH.

I don't know if they still offer TODs for those seats at check-in or did those disappear when they stopped selling Polaris First?

Supposedly, UA was going to put a system where they would automatically move to those seats the passengers with high status having paid the highest fares but with a P fare I doubt that would happen and I don't know if they started doing that. There is still a slight chance if they have oversold Economy, then they would need to move some passengers from the Business seats to the First seats but I would assume that they would choose passengers having paid the highest fares.

So, let us know what happens when you check-in.
About 10 days before my IAD-FRA flight I was checking my seat and found that the F cabin was open for selection! So I grabbed a row 1 seat. I'm 1K 1MM if that matters. It was a great flight and the service from the FA's was indeed first class, even if the meals were business class. It was quite a difference from previous Polaris business flights I've taken. I slept very well. That will probably be my last time in those seats. Unless UA decides in 5 or 10 years to bring back Intl F.

I should also mention this was a very cheap P ticket. I think the IAD-FRA leg was about $700 PQD.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
You can call in to upfare to the W fare class (probably about $400 per direction), if you'd like to use an upgrade certificate. Technically that should incur a change fee in addition to the fare differential, but it will usually be waived.
Earlier this year I booked a T fare on ORD-LHR and decided to upfare to W and got a refund of $8.65!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
About 10 days before my IAD-FRA flight I was checking my seat and found that the F cabin was open for selection! So I grabbed a row 1 seat. I'm 1K 1MM if that matters. It was a great flight and the service from the FA's was indeed first class, even if the meals were business class. It was quite a difference from previous Polaris business flights I've taken. I slept very well. That will probably be my last time in those seats. Unless UA decides in 5 or 10 years to bring back Intl F.

I should also mention this was a very cheap P ticket. I think the IAD-FRA leg was about $700 PQD.
Yes, in October (maybe October 20th) UA changed the system and allowed Business Class passengers to take one of those seats in the First Class area. That day I also chose a seat in Row 1 for a return flight in December. It's supposed to be only for GS or 1K passengers but on that first day there was a glitch and some lower status passengers managed to get one of those seats.

Good that you enjoyed it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.