Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
However, scrolling further down the itinerary, it seems that I'm waitlisted for PZ on that segment. How did that happen?
No idea. Definitely not related to being in a PE seat to HKG if you didn't pay for a PE fare (which would put you in B on the domestic segment which would be instant upgrade eligible).

Also, I'll be flying NRT-GUM-HNL (where GUM-HNL is the island hopper) on UA. Is it possible to apply an RPU to any of those segments?
NRT-GUM yes (also CPU eligible), GUM-HNL no (requires GPU and W minimum).

Or, I'll also be flying KOA-DEN-YYZ, and I think I can apply it to KOA-DEN, but have no interest in applying it to DEN-YYZ if KOA-DEN doesn't clear. Can I call UA and ask an agent to only apply the RPU to the KOA-DEN segment?
Yes.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have a question regarding using an RPU that's set to expire at the end of January...I was going to try to apply it to a LAX-SFO segment (of a larger international itinerary) that's a little over a week from now, but when I view the reservation, I don't even see that I'm on the CPU list for that segment (and it shows there are no instrument options available for that segment). However, scrolling further down the itinerary, it seems that I'm waitlisted for PZ on that segment. How did that happen? And what does that mean? Could this somehow be related to the fact that I'm in a Premium Plus on my SFO-HKG segment (even though there is no "Premium Plus" yet, and I didn't pay for any sort of upgrade)?

Also, I'll be flying NRT-GUM-HNL (where GUM-HNL is the island hopper) on UA. Is it possible to apply an RPU to any of those segments?

Or, I'll also be flying KOA-DEN-YYZ, and I think I can apply it to KOA-DEN, but have no interest in applying it to DEN-YYZ if KOA-DEN doesn't clear. Can I call UA and ask an agent to only apply the RPU to the KOA-DEN segment?
Ahh, it sounds like you tried to apply the RPU and it failed - I've had this happen twice to me this month. All on multi-segment trips - the RPU/GPU is NOT deducted, the 1st leg shows no upgrades avail at all (can't even try to apply them) and the 2nd leg shows wait listed. Normally the 1st leg has availability when this happened to me. Call UA and have them fix it. Agent said she had been seeing this a lot lately.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by doug_999
Ahh, it sounds like you tried to apply the RPU and it failed - I've had this happen twice to me this month. All on multi-segment trips - the RPU/GPU is NOT deducted, the 1st leg shows no upgrades avail at all (can't even try to apply them) and the 2nd leg shows wait listed. Normally the 1st leg has availability when this happened to me. Call UA and have them fix it. Agent said she had been seeing this a lot lately.
I don't recall ever clicking on the button to confirm that I wanted to apply the RPU. I'll have to give them a call and see what's happening. I'm tempted to just ride it out and see what happens, since it appears I'm on the PZ upgrade list, but not RPUs have been removed from my account. Then I can see if I can apply an RPU to one of the other segments instead. I only have 1 RPU expiring at the end of the month, so I figured I may as well see if I can use it.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
If the flight is showing PZ3 does that mean if I apply an RPU that it will be instantly upgraded or is there still a waitlist process? Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by theboss7593
If the flight is showing PZ3 does that mean if I apply an RPU that it will be instantly upgraded ....
If an RPU eligible flight, it should clear immediately.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by theboss7593
If the flight is showing PZ3 does that mean if I apply an RPU that it will be instantly upgraded or is there still a waitlist process? Thanks
It should upgrade instantly.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It should upgrade instantly.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If an RPU eligible flight, it should clear immediately.
Thanks guys!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Expiring GPUs

I was a 1K last year and qualified for 1K in 2019. I have a few GPUs expiring this month. Any chance United will extend them a little? Has anyone tried to do this?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Only two GPUs extended to April 30

Call 1K line to get two GPUs extended. The rest will expire on Jan 31,
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Flagging if anyone is interested - ran across it because I am looking at flights around this time, but I need to be on an earlier one - the last flight out on Friday 3/8 (EWR-LAX) is showing PZ1 right now. I can't recall the last time I saw that, so hope someone burns an RPU quick on this!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Anyone else not having GPUs deduced if waitlisted for upgrade?

I applied GPUs for two flights to Europe in March, both reservations purchased in January, weeks apart. I was waitlisted for an upgrade in both cases, but I noticed that I still have 6 GPU in my account, so neither of the GPUs were deducted from my account, which they usually are.
I called in and had it fixed, because I was worried that it may prevent an upgrade, or put me lower on the waitlist. The agent assured me that the GPU would have been deduced anyway (if/once the upgrade clears).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Flagging if anyone is interested - ran across it because I am looking at flights around this time, but I need to be on an earlier one - the last flight out on Friday 3/8 (EWR-LAX) is showing PZ1 right now. I can't recall the last time I saw that, so hope someone burns an RPU quick on this!
Still PZ1 (and PN4) one day after you noticing this. Surprising for a 8pm Friday flight. Hope someone snags it!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:17 pm

So I've found PZ space on international routes before and have experience hunting for those. However, I've never been able to find PZ space domestically. It seems especially tough since UA has gotten really good at filling the cabins domestically.

I'd like to use RPUs on, say, IAD/EWR-HNL, but those seems equally difficult even though there are more F seats than on the domestic mainline 737s and A319/320s. Browsing here, it seems more luck of the draw (more so than with finding it on INTL flights) - but curious if I missed anything, FT RPU experts?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windhund
So I've found PZ space on international routes before and have experience hunting for those. However, I've never been able to find PZ space domestically. It seems especially tough since UA has gotten really good at filling the cabins domestically.

I'd like to use RPUs on, say, IAD/EWR-HNL, but those seems equally difficult even though there are more F seats than on the domestic mainline 737s and A319/320s. Browsing here, it seems more luck of the draw (more so than with finding it on INTL flights) - but curious if I missed anything, FT RPU experts?
No silver bullet tips, but you're better off comparing F/Y ratios when assessing your waitlist chances than you are counting the absolute number of F seats.

Demand for F is the other factor, and the long haul -HNL flights are all difficult. To Hawaii, your best chance is the SFO or LAX connection, but even that isn't a sure bet.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by fumje
No silver bullet tips, but you're better off comparing F/Y ratios when assessing your waitlist chances than you are counting the absolute number of F seats.

Demand for F is the other factor, and the long haul -HNL flights are all difficult. To Hawaii, your best chance is the SFO or LAX connection, but even that isn't a sure bet.
Thanks for the tips! I hadn't thought to consider F/Y ratios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.