Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:41 am

RPU Re-Deposits

Hey,

is it just me or do failed RPU's not re-deposit? each require time on the phone to fix. Shouldn't this be automatic?

Passanger X used an RPU it did not clear so passenger X gets his RPU back?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Automatic, lol, UA IT says noooooo.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by jp12687
Hey,

is it just me or do failed RPU's not re-deposit? each require time on the phone to fix. Shouldn't this be automatic?

It varies. One time I had to call in. Last time, to my surprise, it was automatic.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jp12687
Hey,

Had redeposited mine for past Friday and this Monday trips automatically
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
To be clear, I'm pretty sure that HKG-GUM and HNL-LAX-DEN require separate RPUs - i.e. I'm pretty sure you can't stretch a single instrument across a region boundary like that.
I disagree. I just made a sample booking, and it wanted a single RPU to upgrade MNL-GUM and HNL-IAH-AUS. Furthermore, there’s no rule that would disqualify a single RPU from being used; it’s an international itinerary, so even if you were to treat the GUM-HNL segment like an embedded surface sector, it still wouldn’t be a stopover. It says “it’s valid for a single one-way, one-cabin upgrade,” and we know that includes any number of transfers provided that there are no stopovers.

Perhaps I’d modify my original advice a bit. Considering the scenario of HKG-GUM-HNL-LAX-DEN, I’d apply the upgrade online first, and then call to remove LAX-DEN if I didn’t want to risk having only that one segment clear. That way, I’d be less likely to run into an agent who decides that findark’s interpretation is correct. Removing a waitlisted upgrade from a single segment is something they do all the time; no thought is required.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
I disagree. I just made a sample booking, and it wanted a single RPU to upgrade MNL-GUM and HNL-IAH-AUS.
Huh, wow

Your interpretation definitely makes sense but I'm very impressed the computer lets you do that.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
I made a recent booking, PHL-AAA-BBB outbound, and on the same day turnaround BBB-CCC-PHL. Only ONE RPU covered all four of these segments: all four had R availability so instantly confirmed up front!

Ordinarily the way I usually fly, I have an overnight stay. Two RPUs would be consumed: one for PHL-AAA-BBB and on the next day the second for BBB-CCC-PHL. I was so pleased that all four segments had the inventory that I "wasted" an RPU to apply as an experiment. Computer thinks the whole "PHL-PHL" is one itinerary.

So question: is this normal behaviour?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It is normal behavior, but not what UA intended.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Thanks for this feedback. I'm not going to feel bad about taking advantage of UA's shoddy IT if they can't differentiate return segments and thinks it's all one outbound journey. I'll probably end up losing out on the return insta-upgrade, though, because I'll likely want to manufacture an overnight stay with an SDC to flights the next day, once I reach my target destination city.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by aacharya
To wit, it's a known computer error in your favor.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
If I have a cleared RPU on one flight and then SDC to another, I go back into economy. However, if R is open on the SDC'd-to flight, and SDC is done within T-3, is the RPU transferred and used, or is the upgrade cleared by CPU?

Wondering how hard to push to get my RPU (that I likely won't be able to use) back.
Right—sorry, that was unclear. This is past-tense: i.e. I did clear the upgrade, and I did not specifically request the RPU be applied, so I thought it was a CPU, but I have not thus far had my RPU redeposited.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm surprised the App could handle that.

You might try calling MPSC and ask innocently if the RPU can be returned. Assuming that is you'll be able to make use of it before expiration.
Originally Posted by findark
Given this I'm pretty sure the upgrade cleared by CPU. (Automatic SDC dumps you back into your booked fare class and does not carry forward the instrument.) But I agree with Kacee - I don't think the United backend tracks that in enough detail so it might be hard to prove the point.
Sort of: I used the app. It just showed me going back to my original fare class and then emailed me a new eticket showing the same, with no other emails about upgrade waitlist or confirmation. If I'd been fast enough I'd have checked the arrow to see the upgrade request type to be certain, but I was a bit distracted and forgot until after being upgraded ~30 minutes later.
I wound up with some new flights on which a couple RPU's would be of use, so I finally called this morning. I got forwarded to MPSC and described the situation as concisely as I could. The agent quickly looked the up the PNR and redeposited the RPU.

So I'm not sure that the backend tracked events well enough, but at least the timeline supported my interpretation and request.

^
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
RPU earning question. Is there any way for a Platinum member to earn more than 2 RPU? I'm looking at flying around 120K PQM on $3.5K PQD (with chase spend waiver). Do those extra PQM count for anything?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AceReport
RPU earning question. Is there any way for a Platinum member to earn more than 2 RPU? I'm looking at flying around 120K PQM on $3.5K PQD (with chase spend waiver). Do those extra PQM count for anything?
No, you have to earn 1K status to earn more RPUs.

Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I couldn't find the answer by searching.

If an RPU doesn't clear by T-24 of the first segment, is it better to delay doing online checkin, hoping it will clear before it goes to the gate, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gusd
If an RPU doesn't clear by T-24 of the first segment, is it better to delay doing online checkin, hoping it will clear before it goes to the gate, or it doesn't matter?
Check in as soon as possible. Time of check-in is the final tie-breaker.

The only time you consider delaying check-in is when you have a multi-pax PNR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.