Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
All of this is true, but many here would also ask why you would want to waste (2) RPUs for a flight of this length. If you have no other travel planned before they expire, I'd do it too, but it's almost worth planning a longer trip with confirmable R space at time of booking to get a better value from this benefit.
Agree. I would call and get the RPUs back for another longer trip before Jan. 31, 2017, for example, RDU-EWR-HNL or RDU-EWR-SFO on lie-flat bed.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Agree. I would call and get the RPUs back for another longer trip before Jan. 31, 2017, for example, RDU-EWR-HNL or RDU-EWR-SFO on lie-flat bed.
Thanks. It's worth considering. I have a lot of RPUs between last year (Plat) and this year (150k PQMs and counting) and don't often fly long domestic routes in paid economy (e.g. they are often award tickets if for pleasure, and my firm allows biz class purchases for work-related long domestic routes) - and these expire Jan 2017. If the RPUs don't clear, do they auto-redeposit into my account? If I decide to call and get them back, do I need to do that by a certain timeframe? Since there's no R availability as of today, chances of additional R spaces opening up sound slim, right?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bluepig1
Thanks. It's worth considering. I have a lot of If the RPUs don't clear, do they auto-redeposit into my account? If I decide to call and get them back, do I need to do that by a certain timeframe? Since there's no R availability as of today, chances of additional R spaces opening up sound slim, right?
The RPUs will return to your account automatically most of the time. If you do not see them in your account in two days after your trip, you will have to call MP service center.

If your fare class is currently available, you can call and get RPUs back. You will return to the CPU queque.

Remember that you are ahead of all CPUers with the RPUs but behind those 1K/GS with for Y/B/M upgrade fare (into PN class). If your RPUs will expire in Jan 2017, you'd better use them now.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Undoing an RPU that cleared

I have a one-way LAX-EWR reservation for the end of September. I paid $165 for the economy ticket and am waitlisted with an RPU. There is now a possibility that I won't take that flight and so will just cancel the reservation and lose what I paid for the ticket as it's less than the change fee.

My question is about the RPU. If it clears before I cancel the ticket will I be able to retrieve the RPU for future use? Or should I call in now to have them unapply it? I'd rather leave it applied in the event that I do take the flight but don't want to lose it if I don't.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nycityny
I have a one-way LAX-EWR reservation for the end of September. I paid $165 for the economy ticket and am waitlisted with an RPU. There is now a possibility that I won't take that flight and so will just cancel the reservation and lose what I paid for the ticket as it's less than the change fee.

My question is about the RPU. If it clears before I cancel the ticket will I be able to retrieve the RPU for future use? Or should I call in now to have them unapply it? I'd rather leave it applied in the event that I do take the flight but don't want to lose it if I don't.
Just leave it. If you end up cancelling and RPU has cleared prior to cancelling, you can call, cancel ticket, and ask for RPU to be re-deposited. You can also cancel online and hope RPU is re-deposited, but I find I almost always have to follow-up w/ a call anyway. RPU is not considered really used until you actually fly the segment benefiting from its application..
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
You require R inventory to clear the RPU, which is not present on your flight.
Technically, RN is required. (Yes, I know RN is almost never more than R, but good to get these things right and aligned with the alphabet soup thread).
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aacharya
Technically, RN is required. (Yes, I know RN is almost never more than R, but good to get these things right and aligned with the alphabet soup thread).
Absent agent or system error, 1K RPUs clear into R.

Plat/Gold/Silver Y/B upgrades clear into RN.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I just used my last RPU for the year on EWR-LAX. Granted, it's the last flight of the night out of EWR, but I was shocked to see R availability (and IN, no less!) on a p.s. flight. Maybe it doesn't have full meal service, but it's a steal. I hope there's a schedule change that bumps the flight to an earlier departure time.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat / *G
How do I ensure my RPU works?

Hello,

I am new to fliertalk and I have been searching the forums for the past few days and I am curious to learn anything I can to ensure my RPU gets me the upgrade.

I am a platinum member and I usually travel back and fourth to asia. I have made 7 trips so far and I have not yet had a single upgrade to first class on any domestic flight I have taken. I have tried to apply an RPU and out of 30 flights, I ended up finally getting one of my 2 domestic legs upgraded so I feel it was really a waste of an upgrade. I have on left and I feel the RPU is worthless because when I try to use it, I end up not upgraded anyways.

What tips should you recommend?

I have 2 flights tomorrow and I did not apply my RPU because the flights are fully booked. They have been showing fully booked in First class for a week now from TPA to EWR at 550am.

Also, does United have a way for my to apply an RPU and then add cash so I can upgrade internationally? Perhaps if cash is involved, an upgrade will happen and I would finally get to experience an upgrade.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, docjason

Originally Posted by docjason
I have been searching the forums for the past few days and I am curious to learn anything I can to ensure my RPU gets me the upgrade.
---
What tips should you recommend? ...
Look for flights where the RPU can clear at booking. Where R space exists (per Expert Mode).

Avoid peak paid premium travel periods.

Book early.

How far out are you booking typically?

I have 2 flights tomorrow and I did not apply my RPU because the flights are fully booked. They have been showing fully booked in First class for a week now from TPA to EWR at 550am. ...
Early Monday TPA-EWR flights have no trouble selling out premium cabin space -- folks returning from a weekend stay.
I see R space on EWR-TPA tomorrow -- less premium passengers in that direction.

Also, does United have a way for my to apply an RPU and then add cash so I can upgrade internationally? Perhaps if cash is involved, an upgrade will happen and I would finally get to experience an upgrade.
No
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:56 pm

Thank you very much.

I usually book 2 months in advance. Currently, I have a few reservations booked.

Tomorrow I fly TPA to EWR and then EWR to SEA

in 2 days, I fly SEA to SFO, SFO to HND and then HND to HKG It sure would be great if United allowed me to use a RPU plus cash to get a GPU for first class. I feel it would be worth it to experience a lay flat seat on the 787-900

After talking with United for a while, they just said don't bother using the RPU for this flight because I just wont get it.

Okay, I will go into expert mode and search for those tickets with "R" class. Thanks for the heads up. I usually fly TPA to EWR and then EWR to HKG or EWR to HND or EWR to NRT. I also fly a lot of HKG to SIN. I love how United has very cheap flights to SIN from HKG. about $150 to $175 round trip but still, don't get those upgrades. I need to rethink how I book tickets.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...I usually fly TPA to EWR and then EWR to HKG or EWR to HND or EWR to NRT. I also fly a lot of HKG to SIN. ....
RPUs are of limited utility to a most non-North American flyer.

Perhaps you should discuss with a domestic based friend a 2 RPU swap for a GPU. (But due to forum rules, that is something you can not do here in the UA forum)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:15 pm

I could do that. I just have one RPU available now. Its going to expire so if I still have it by mid december, I dont know what I will do hahaha.

Thanks for your advice. I am stationed overseas so usually travel internationally on long haul flights.

Having the RPU is pretty useless for me but I certainly love the economy plus seating in the 787-900 from SIN to SFO. Thats a long flight but nice to sit in E+
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
RPUs at 100k?

Just curious about something - it's clear that additional upgrade instruments are earned at 25k increments past 1K, but I'm wondering about instruments at 100k PQM if 1K is not earned.

I am Platinum and will likely end the year at 110K+ PQM, but it's unclear (so far) if I'll make the 12k PQD. When hitting 100K, will there be additional RPU's? Or will it just be a non-factor PQM number if the PQD isn't hit?

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I find the website to be clear, you must fully qualify for 1K to earn additional RPU for 25k PQM:

Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.