Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:31 pm

In domestic flight, and using RPU, what is the difference between P9 PN0 and P9 PN9 (chances of clearing RPU)? Example here:

Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAFAM
In domestic flight, and using RPU, what is the difference between P9 PN0 and P9 PN9 (chances of clearing RPU)? Example here:

If the RPU comes from a GS account, PN9 vs. PN0 means you will clear immediately vs. not. If the RPU is from non-GS account, PN9 means you're more likely to clear from the waitlist than with PN0, but it's not a guarantee.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

If you're not GS, the flight that's PN9 is a better bet for waitlising.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're not GS, the flight that's PN9 is a better bet for waitlising.
Thank you, I have no status through UA , but I am Star Alliance Gold through Thai, would that status benefit me in clearing RPU on United flight? (I got RPU through a friend of mine).
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am Star Alliance Gold through Thai, would that status benefit me in clearing RPU on United flight? (I got RPU through a friend of mine).
Unfortunately not. Even without status, because you're using an instrument, you'll be ahead of UA elites (except GS) hoping for a complimentary upgrade (assuming it's a CPU eligible route).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So, if one leg of a RPU clears, but the 2nd doesn't (and the 2nd leg is more important), for example a short 737 flight to EWR clears, but the EWR to say LAX does not, can you call the 1k desk and cancel it, as it would be a waste of a RPU for the crappy flight to clear but not the main one.

thx
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by simonoaks
So, if one leg of a RPU clears, but the 2nd doesn't (and the 2nd leg is more important), for example a short 737 flight to EWR clears, but the EWR to say LAX does not, can you call the 1k desk and cancel it, as it would be a waste of a RPU for the crappy flight to clear but not the main one.

thx
Post #465 has your answer.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 27, 2018 at 5:31 pm Reason: clean up after merge; thanks for the link
Old May 3, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Question Q: RPU to upgrade trans-Atlantic?

Hi,
Have a SAN-SFO-TLV flight, and when hitting "upgrade" I see the above.
My question - will the RPU here (assuming wait-list clears) apply to both legs, or just domestic?

Thanks
Old May 3, 2018, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranshe
My question - will the RPU here (assuming wait-list clears) apply to both legs, or just domestic?

Thanks
Just the domestic leg. You'd see an indication of that if you tried it.
ranshe likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My question - will the RPU here (assuming wait-list clears) apply to both legs, or just domestic? ...
OnIy will show this way when you have no GPUs but at least 1 RPU.

But a RPU is still just a RPU and only applicable to the RPU eligible flights which does not include TATL segments.
ranshe likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:29 am

Apply it and see what happens! There were a bunch of reports a while back of RPU working for GPU only flights. Definitely an IT error.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apply it and see what happens! There were a bunch of reports a while back of RPU working for GPU only flights. Definitely an IT error.
It's not an IT error at all. The RPU is valid for a SAN to TLV itinerary -- on the SAN to SFO portion. If OP had GPUs, there would still be an option to use an RPU instead when you click the button. If you try it, you'll get a message that shows you to which flights the certificate applies. For a GPU, assuming the flight is in W or higher, it'll show that it applies to the entire itinerary. For an RPU, it'll show that it only applies to the first leg. No error involved.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's not an IT error at all. The RPU is valid for a SAN to TLV itinerary -- on the SAN to SFO portion. If OP had GPUs, there would still be an option to use an RPU instead when you click the button. If you try it, you'll get a message that shows you to which flights the certificate applies. For a GPU, assuming the flight is in W or higher, it'll show that it applies to the entire itinerary. For an RPU, it'll show that it only applies to the first leg. No error involved.
You missed the point.

There were numerous reports a while back of RPUs upgrading the international segment when this message was displayed.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
You meant GUM-HNL flight. I got one cleared with RPU on G fare. But United called me and wanted a GPU. It was ironical that GPU could be applied to G fare. Perhaps, United fixed this problem.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
I know that moving an RPU withing 24 hours with an SDC isn't technically allowed, but I do know that it's been done before...is there any secret that I can tell an agent in order to help me with that? I just called to inquire about it, and she said that within 24 hours all upgrades are processed by the airport, not by the airline, so they have no control, but that she might be possible to put in a request for the upgrade, but that it might not even get "read" by the system.

[EDIT]The agent I just spoke to was VERY helpful and able to not only unmarry an XXX-ZZZ itinerary to be XXX-YYY-ZZZ so that I could SDC the XXX-YYY section, but was also able to get in touch with the correct "lead" (her words, not mine) in order to make sure that my RPU request was moved over also. She did say that she learned that it is NOT possible to request an RPU to be moved within 24 hours if the person is already checked in. So, what they did was uncheck me in, put me on the waitlist, then check me in, which then automatically moved me from the waitlist to the "upgrade list" when looking at the flight status page. ^ It's always great to find accommodating helpl![/EDIT]

Last edited by mpiotrow; May 4, 2018 at 6:01 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.