Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:37 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
Zip, you owe me a new key board. I was laughing so hard when I read your post I spewed my coffee into it.
How about advice on keyboard-cleaning only?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Query: i am GS. Can i book r/t EC-WC with miles and then apply RPU’s for upgrade?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by manstein58
Query: i am GS. Can i book r/t EC-WC with miles and then apply RPU’s for upgrade?
Assuming you mean East Coast to West Coast, yes.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Just a data point on a complicated itinerary, but the logic is working as expected:

MNL-GUM-(Hopper)-HNL-LAX-SFO with a overnight in HNL that doesn't connect to the next flight out; on a bulk ticket

UA wants an RPU for each MNL-GUM // HNL-LAX-SFO since the overnight in HNL isn't on the immediate flight out in the morning.

GUM-HNL isn't eligible, as expected, on the hopper, with an agent doing the upgrade manually.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:43 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Just a data point on a complicated itinerary, but the logic is working as expected:

MNL-GUM-(Hopper)-HNL-LAX-SFO with a overnight in HNL that doesn't connect to the next flight out; on a bulk ticket

UA wants an RPU for each MNL-GUM // HNL-LAX-SFO since the overnight in HNL isn't on the immediate flight out in the morning.

GUM-HNL isn't eligible, as expected, on the hopper, with an agent doing the upgrade manually.
was it a multi-city ticket?
I thought GUM-HNL was a GPU flight. How did you get them to upgrade you?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
No earning or usage question here. Just an anecdote.

I booked the following flight CLE-ORD-RSW with the same segments in reverse on the way back. I called called the 1k desk to apply RPUs to the ORD-RSW/RSW-ORD segments (wishful thinking, I know). The CS agent applied RPUs to all segments and when I reiterated that I only wanted them applied to certain segments, her reply was that if the RPU clears on the shorter segment only (CLE-ORD/ORD-CLE, in this case) it's considered unused and it would be redeposited into my account. I know this to be false but the CS agent was adamant that was the case. Rather than wasting my time, I ended up hanging up and calling again and - surprise! - the new agent confirmed my understanding was correct. The new agent made the necessary adjustments and I went about my day. Unfortunately, the RPUs are waitlisted and I just have to anxiously wait to see if they clear.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Hi FT,

Looking for confirmation as to whether or not my RPU will be automatically redeposited.

I applied an RPU to SFO-ORD-GRR, and the ORD-GRR leg cleared right away. I'm T-2 from my SFO-ORD leg and it's looking like I will not clear this leg.

The Wiki states, "A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception." However my phone call with the 1K agent assured me that it would be returned if the long leg did clear. I asked her to apply the RPU to the SFO-ORD leg only, but she told me that it was not necessary to take that approach.

In addition, I received an email from United at T-24 that they are unable to confirm my upgrade. In the email it states, "If you requested a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, Global Premier Upgrade or Regional Premier Upgrade, and we are unable to upgrade any of your flights for this direction of travel, any miles or upgrades deducted will be automatically credited back to the account from which they were withdrawn."

Because they are unable to upgrade the SFO-ORD leg (which would be any), I would expect the RPU to be redeposited. Can anyone confirm before I take the ORD-GRR leg? I'm confident I'll clear that leg on CPU, not to mention it's only 55 minutes, so I do not want to burn an RPU on that.

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
..... Because they are unable to upgrade the SFO-ORD leg (which would be any), I would expect the RPU to be redeposited. ...
The RPU rules are quite clear -- if any segment is upgraded with a RPU, it is consumed and no refund should be expected. If the ORD-GRR clears and the SFO-ORD does not -- the RPU will not be automatically refunded.

Miles and GPU do have special rules concerning trips including Polaris segments -- if only non-Polaris segments clear and none of the Polaris segments do, the miles or GPU will be returned. This does not apply to RPUs. Some agents have been including the RPU in this exception but they are wrong.

In the past, some have had success in getting a RPU returned if a PS segment did not clear using a RPU but other non-PS segments did not clear.

In your case there will be no automatically return -- you can try afterwards but with a significant chance of a NO. If you are lucky, perhaps you can get the same agent that gave you the bad information
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The RPU rules are quite clear -- if any segment is upgraded with a RPU, it is consumed and no refund should be expected. If the ORD-GRR clears and the SFO-ORD does not -- the RPU will not be automatically refunded.

Miles and GPU do have special rules concerning trips including Polaris segments -- if only non-Polaris segments clear and none of the Polaris segments do, the miles or GPU will be returned. This does not apply to RPUs. Some agents have been including the RPU in this exception but they are wrong.

In the past, some have had success in getting a RPU returned if a PS segment did not clear using a RPU but other non-PS segments did not clear.

In your case there will be no automatically return -- you can try afterwards but with a significant chance of a NO. If you are lucky, perhaps you can get the same agent that gave you the bad information
Grr. Thankfully I trust you more than the 1K Desk, and this will be a good lesson learned. I'll give them a call and see if they can move me back into Economy. My ORD-GRR leg is showing E9 (I'm in an E fare) so I'm optimistic that they'll be able to move me back without issue.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because they are unable to upgrade the SFO-ORD leg (which would be any), I would expect the RPU to be redeposited.
Agree with WineCountryUA; you're interpreting any wrong. They were able to upgrade "any" (ORD-GRR) of your flights. The opposite of "able to upgrade any" in this context is not "unable to upgrade every / all," it's "able to upgrade none."
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Grr. Thankfully I trust you more than the 1K Desk, and this will be a good lesson learned. I'll give them a call and see if they can move me back into Economy. My ORD-GRR leg is showing E9 (I'm in an E fare) so I'm optimistic that they'll be able to move me back without issue.
Sounds like you got the same 1K desk agent that I spoke with today.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
regional upgrades

For the first time, I reached the Platinum level and got 2 Regional upgrades deposited in my account. With my travel this year, I would probably reach 1K status. When I do, will I receive 4 more of these upgrades or 6 in addition to what I had received? Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
For the first time, I reached the Platinum level and got 2 Regional upgrades deposited in my account. With my travel this year, I would probably reach 1K status. When I do, will I receive 4 more of these upgrades or 6 in addition to what I had received? Thanks.
You get 2 RPUs at 75K PQM/90 PQS for the year. You get 2 more at 100K PQM/120 PQS, if you also meet the 1K requirements ($12K PQD or a waiver). You then get 2 more for every 25K additional PQM / 30 additional PQS.

You will get 6 GPUs upon reaching 1K, and then 2 more for every 50K additional PQM / 60 additional PQS.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

So I think I got lucky, or maybe UA realized they made a mistake too...

After landing in Chicago, I went to an in-person customer service agent in terminal C to explain the situation. (This was about two hours ahead of my scheduled departure to GRR.) The agent understood what I was trying to do, and saw that there was excess inventory in F (the flight ended up going out with two empty seats in F) and agreed that an RPU was unnecessary. He made a quick phone call, and then told me that he was going to rebook me in economy, on my original E-fare. I'm following along in the app and see my name come off of the cleared upgrade list, and then after he checks me in, I see my name back in the #1 spot. He said that if I clear into First, it will be thanks to a CPU, not because of an RPU. He also told me to call the 1K desk and they can redeposit the RPU.

Fast forward to T-1, I get a notification from the app that my seat has changed to F, and I eventually fly to GRR.

When I looked at my account yesterday, it shows that my ORD-GRR leg was an R fare (indicating RPU). I called the 1K desk, explained the entire situation (including the fact that F had empty seats) and the agent is super receptive...but she needs to call Mileage Plus. She returns from hold and tells me, "I'm sorry, since you sat in first class, the RPU is considered used." She did add some anecdotal commentary that "sometimes when the long-haul leg doesn't clear, the systemwide will go back into your account." ...ymmv.

As a last resort, I wrote my sob story to Customer Care (using almost all 2,000 characters in the process) and to my surprise, I logged in this morning to see that the RPU had been redeposited as of yesterday, despite not yet getting a response from Customer Care. Coincidence? Luck?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
So I think I got lucky, or maybe UA realized they made a mistake too...

After landing in Chicago, I went to an in-person customer service agent in terminal C to explain the situation. (This was about two hours ahead of my scheduled departure to GRR.) The agent understood what I was trying to do, and saw that there was excess inventory in F (the flight ended up going out with two empty seats in F) and agreed that an RPU was unnecessary. He made a quick phone call, and then told me that he was going to rebook me in economy, on my original E-fare. I'm following along in the app and see my name come off of the cleared upgrade list, and then after he checks me in, I see my name back in the #1 spot. He said that if I clear into First, it will be thanks to a CPU, not because of an RPU. He also told me to call the 1K desk and they can redeposit the RPU.

Fast forward to T-1, I get a notification from the app that my seat has changed to F, and I eventually fly to GRR.

When I looked at my account yesterday, it shows that my ORD-GRR leg was an R fare (indicating RPU). I called the 1K desk, explained the entire situation (including the fact that F had empty seats) and the agent is super receptive...but she needs to call Mileage Plus. She returns from hold and tells me, "I'm sorry, since you sat in first class, the RPU is considered used." She did add some anecdotal commentary that "sometimes when the long-haul leg doesn't clear, the systemwide will go back into your account." ...ymmv.

As a last resort, I wrote my sob story to Customer Care (using almost all 2,000 characters in the process) and to my surprise, I logged in this morning to see that the RPU had been redeposited as of yesterday, despite not yet getting a response from Customer Care. Coincidence? Luck?
So, my thoughts:
R fare does not indicate RPU? I clear into R on a CPU as well. By my previous statement logic, you DID clear via a CPU and the RPU was just redeposited by the normal UA systems. That's what I would guess
Or your letter worked but I would think they hadn't received it yet if there's no response. *shrug*
How can we really know LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.