Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Would any of you do anything differently?
I would buy F

On a more serious note, I think IAD-SFO is a worthy enough route for an RPU that you shouldn't try risky CPU games with it unless you have sure options for your RPUs down the road on p.s. or long-haul Hawaii.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am new to the RPU game. Have 2 RPU's that will expire in Jan so am trying to use them.
Used expert mode to find flight IAH to BLZ - selected RPU upgrade search - showed 3 flights - middle one was great price most availability (R7),
I thought that meant I could confirm at time of booking but maybe I misunderstood, as that does not appear to be happening.
What am I doing wrong? I am Plat if that matters at all.
Thanks for any enlightenment!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by cece4
I am new to the RPU game. Have 2 RPU's that will expire in Jan so am trying to use them.
Used expert mode to find flight IAH to BLZ - selected RPU upgrade search - showed 3 flights - middle one was great price most availability (R7),
I thought that meant I could confirm at time of booking but maybe I misunderstood, as that does not appear to be happening.
What am I doing wrong? I am Plat if that matters at all.
Thanks for any enlightenment!
Did you book? If so, once it's ticketed, go to united.com, manage reservations, pick you reservation, and redeem upgrade, the 2nd tab should be upgrade with miles or certificate
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by drew in the air
Did you book? If so, once it's ticketed, go to united.com, manage reservations, pick you reservation, and redeem upgrade, the 2nd tab should be upgrade with miles or certificate
No I didn't continue with the booking as I thought I should be able to see the upgrade available to choose at time of booking. I can give that a try though since I have 24 hours to cancel. right?
I'm kinda worried that I might not be able to make this flight really happen (family medical problems that may or may not cause a cancellation)...so am trying to find a really low cost fare that won't make me cry if I have to cancel and this one fits the bill pretty well.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
No I didn't continue with the booking as I thought I should be able to see the upgrade available to choose at time of booking. I can give that a try though since I have 24 hours to cancel. right?
I'm kinda worried that I might not be able to make this flight really happen (family medical problems that may or may not cause a cancellation)...so am trying to find a really low cost fare that won't make me cry if I have to cancel and this one fits the bill pretty well.
Yes, you need to actually book the flight. Once it tickets, you pull up the record under "manage reservation". There will be an upgrade button that will allow you to apply the certificate, which will then clear immediately and you can select new seats.

As you pointed out, if anything funky happens, you have 24 hours to just cancel with a full refund.

ADDED: Just to be sure, can you use RPUs for travel to Belize? (which is where I assume you meant by BLZ - which is actually in Malawi. The airport code for Belize is BZE, I beleive)

Or do you need GPU for that Intl flight? I don't know the rules well enough for short haul Intl flights to know for sure.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Or do you need GPU for that Intl flight? I don't know the rules well enough for short haul Intl flights to know for sure.
BZE is RPU eligible as it is in Central America.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by findark
BZE is RPU eligible as it is in Central America.
Cool. I never realized that. Might be worth an occasional check on Central America routes, as I can't ever seem to find R space domestically anymore.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Lifetime, United 1 Million Miler
Hello, I am currently Plat with United, and have flown about 45 K miles this year. I am planning to use Flex PQM to get Platinum status for 2018 (if not, I fall to gold as a million miler).

From an RPU earning perspective, does it matter if I apply my Flex PQM now or next year to reach Plat status? Will I earn 2 RPUs irrespective of when I do it? If so will the expiration dates be the same?

Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by istrategist
From an RPU earning perspective, does it matter if I apply my Flex PQM now or next year to reach Plat status? Will I earn 2 RPUs irrespective of when I do it? If so will the expiration dates be the same? .....
RPUs earned for making Plat status will be good until 31 Jan 2019.
istrategist likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:24 am

Just wanted to post an update here. I did make the booking - 2 one ways from Houston to Belize at 128 each - upgraded to business using my 2 expiring RPU's. Flying out on Jan 31 - the date my RPU's would have expired :-) Even though the fare did not show that it was upgradeable - I took a chance as it did show R availability, Many thanks to everyone on flyer talk or I would not have known to do this. We are coming back on southwest companion fare...so I feel pretty good about this redemption!
Now my problem is finding out where we should stay - no SPG/Marriott/Hyatt there. There is a Hilton Curio collection which might be an option. I could also do a home exchange - a few options there as well. But was wondering if anyone out there has a great hotel to recommend as this is a birthday trip for my husband. We have lots of CSR and MR points to use...as well as my CSR travel credit. Any Belize advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... Any Belize advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Might I suggest FT's Central America forum
and/or
Hotels and Places to Stay

search for Belize and you will get numerous suggestions
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
Recently had to cancel a flight which I had applied 2 RPU's on. The flight was successfully cancelled with a phone agent, but I never received the RPU's back. It's been 3 weeks. How long should it take or do I not receive them back at all?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zoltar
Recently had to cancel a flight which I had applied 2 RPU's on. The flight was successfully cancelled with a phone agent, but I never received the RPU's back. It's been 3 weeks. How long should it take or do I not receive them back at all?
You'll have to call or email. It shouldn't take more than a couple days.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Zoltar
At this point, pretty safe to say they are not coming back unless you call MPSC.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:32 pm
PPM

Has anyone been able to confirm an RPU at the time of booking in the last year? I have flown more international than national in 2017, but am just stunned that there is never a confirmable RPU at the time of booking. Case in point: ORD to RDU; ORD to JAX, hardly hot spots during mid-week at 1PM. This is such a serious erosion of what was once a nice 1K perk. But, am curious as to others' experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.