Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gusd
....If an RPU doesn't clear by T-24 of the first segment, is it better to delay doing online checkin, hoping it will clear before it goes to the gate, or it doesn't matter? .....
Checking in does not take you off the pre-gate list but delaying checkin may slight hurt your gate list position. (all it takes is to slip one position).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Thanks, Kacee and WineCountryUA.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Check in as soon as possible. Time of check-in is the final tie-breaker.

The only time you consider delaying check-in is when you have a multi-pax PNR.
Why is that? I mean, why delay with multi-pax PNR? Is that always the case, or only when trying to RPU multiple passengers? Does check in time (for multi-pax PNR) affect CPU ability at all? I seem to always struggle with when to check in, and if the reservation should be split, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Why is that? I mean, why delay with multi-pax PNR? Is that always the case, or only when trying to RPU multiple passengers? Does check in time (for multi-pax PNR) affect CPU ability at all? I seem to always struggle with when to check in, and if the reservation should be split, etc.
The PNR gets split when you check in if the upgrade has not been confirmed. So if you prefer not to split the PNR, then you want to delay check-in. If splitting not consequential, no reason not to check in as early as possible with a multi-person PNR (at least if the system works they way it says it does).

If you do not want to split the PNR and an upgrade cannot be confirmed at check-in, then you have to forgo any chance of an upgrade.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by fumje
The PNR gets split when you check in if the upgrade has not been confirmed. So if you prefer not to split the PNR, then you want to delay check-in. If splitting not consequential, no reason not to check in as early as possible with a multi-person PNR (at least if the system works they way it says it does).

If you do not want to split the PNR and an upgrade cannot be confirmed at check-in, then you have to forgo any chance of an upgrade.
And what are the downsides to splitting the PNR? I assume it affects the return flight, right? Would the accompanying passenger (not the premier passenger) lose any CPU eligibility, etc?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The issue with multi-PNR is do you want all to clear (don't split) or are willing to have just some (splitting is OK) on the PNR clear?

There are also issues with splitting on the outbound effecting the non-elites losing the elite benefits on the return.

For more, see To split or not to split PNR
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And what are the downsides to splitting the PNR?
You risk one clears, one does not. One passenger in F, one in Y.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
You risk one clears, one does not. One passenger in F, one in Y.
And then guess who's expected to give up their upgrade...since they already fly so much and have experienced said benefits....

David
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:15 pm

Can RPUs be used on non-016 ticket stock, but otherwise eligible segments?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TObject
Can RPUs be used on non-016 ticket stock, but otherwise eligible segments?
Yes.
TObject likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Hoping someone can validate my train of thought here...

Flying SFO-EWR-PBI, PBI-EWR-SFO. I have two RPU's that I would like to apply to each one way, but I am not interested in burning the RPU on the EWR/PBI legs if it doesn't clear on the SFO/EWR legs. Right now, if I try to apply the RPU's through United.com, all four segments are waitlisted. Am I right in thinking that I need to call the Premier Desk and ask for each RPU to be applied to the SFO/EWR segments only, and then call back if they clear to have them applied to the EWR/PBI legs?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Hoping someone can validate my train of thought here...

Flying SFO-EWR-PBI, PBI-EWR-SFO. I have two RPU's that I would like to apply to each one way, but I am not interested in burning the RPU on the EWR/PBI legs if it doesn't clear on the SFO/EWR legs. Right now, if I try to apply the RPU's through United.com, all four segments are waitlisted. Am I right in thinking that I need to call the Premier Desk and ask for each RPU to be applied to the SFO/EWR segments only, and then call back if they clear to have them applied to the EWR/PBI legs?
Yes
SFOrunner likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Can an RPU be used EWR-LAS?
there are two flights a day that have lie-flat seats... does this make a difference?

thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited by bajrbajr; Dec 5, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Can an RPU be used EWR-LAS?
there are two flights a day that have lie-flat seats... does this make a difference?
Yes, and lie-flats make no technical difference other than being a magnet for both upgrade instruments and paid fares.
Ruhr likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
RPU Refund for Muti-Leg Itineraries that dont clear?

I am flying PHL-ORD-LAS-SFO-PHL. Yes a mileage run lol. I am just curious if certain legs do not clear do you get a refund? In the past when I've had GPU's applied and the longest legs didn't clear, they would always refund it. But I am not sure if the same applies with RPU's. So lets say some legs clear but not the long SFO-PHL flight, is there any chance? Just wondering...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.