Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2023, 12:27 pm

We were pre-boarding with 1Ks recently at SFO. Two people run up as an elderly couple starts to scan their boarding passes and one asks loudly if Global Services has been called. GA says yes and the GS person says "I'm Global Services!" and cuts in the middle of the couple that's scanning their passes. So, one person has just scanned and their companion has just been cut off by this GS who now gestures for their companion (who, for their part, seemed a little embarrassed) to also cut in front.

The person who has already scanned their pass asks the GS if their companion can scan in since they're traveling together. GS huffs and says fine but doesn't move, so the person has to walk around them to go scan. Then the GS scans... error sound. Scans again, error. GA looks and tells them they're at the wrong gate and they go off running again.

Personally I don't care if a GS wants to cut the line, but cutting in the middle of a couple or a group traveling together seems a bit rude.
Old May 10, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Clemson
We were pre-boarding with 1Ks recently at SFO. Two people run up as an elderly couple starts to scan their boarding passes and one asks loudly if Global Services has been called. GA says yes and the GS person says "I'm Global Services!" and cuts in the middle of the couple that's scanning their passes. So, one person has just scanned and their companion has just been cut off by this GS who now gestures for their companion (who, for their part, seemed a little embarrassed) to also cut in front.

The person who has already scanned their pass asks the GS if their companion can scan in since they're traveling together. GS huffs and says fine but doesn't move, so the person has to walk around them to go scan. Then the GS scans... error sound. Scans again, error. GA looks and tells them they're at the wrong gate and they go off running again.

Personally I don't care if a GS wants to cut the line, but cutting in the middle of a couple or a group traveling together seems a bit rude.
I am not GS but 1K but will note I find the manners of the GS pax far better than a number of the 1K pax on my flights. That GS flyer does sound quite obnoxious.
Xyzzy, LAXOGG, tcdtcd and 2 others like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am not GS but 1K but will note I find the manners of the GS pax far better than a number of the 1K pax on my flights. That GS flyer does sound quite obnoxious.
There's an anecdotal theory that if you look at the athletes on an Olympic (or other championship podium), Gold & Bronze both look very happy, but Silver always looks miserable... I will assume you can fill in the metaphor yourself...
Old May 11, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Ask him to get a set of those free ones from the FA.

I usually have a set they'd hand out on flights in my bag, and I just give them away whenever appropriate.
​​​​
Good for you for confronting him. I would also notify the FA.
Or sing a long to the music. It’s your voice. I would notify the FA too; it’s annoying behavior.
abaheti likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by physioprof
There's an anecdotal theory that if you look at the athletes on an Olympic (or other championship podium), Gold & Bronze both look very happy, but Silver always looks miserable... I will assume you can fill in the metaphor yourself...
… or, you could tell the GS people about Chairman’s Circle: we could all look sad together.
Xyzzy, physioprof, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 1:28 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
As a GS for the last decade I can represent that ~75% of the time someone who isn't disabled or military boards before me (and the other GS pax waiting with me) and we generally take it in stride. I also don't board before disabled even if they're taking a long time to get to the podium (and so they've already called GS).

Meanwhile, as a newly minted CK on AA, I will tell you that ~50% of the time they find me at the gate and take me down the jet bridge 30 seconds before boarding even starts. Which avoids all of the etiquette and guilt associated with great privilege!
goodeats21 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Last week was boarding a flight and my upgrade cleared at the gate. It was an EMB-175 and lightly loaded at that. I was in no hurry to board, just traveling with a backpack. I approached to board, returning the agent's good morning, and someone came hurrying up from behind and stepped inches in front of me just as I scanned my phone on the reader - which beeped because of the upgrade and the agent had to print a new boarding pass to scan. The beep was barely even done before this person put his phone on the scanner, got another beep, and kept going down the jetway. Whatever happened, it messed up what the agent needed to do and took an extra minute to resolve. The agent just shook her head. I boarded and found the man in my seat (a single A seat), so I said "Excuse me, that is my seat." He replied that oh, I figured everyone in First was on the plane already and wanted me to take his seat across the aisle. It was a 40 minute flight at 6am so I normally would have done such a swap if someone were polite about it or had a legit reason. I suggested maybe in his hurry to bumrush the gate he neglected to read his seat number. He mumbled something and got up, not even taking the seat he said was his correct one.
Old May 15, 2023, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by physioprof
PATRLR, janehoya, selo and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Had the pleasure of removing an obnoxious passenger and his family the other week on UA110. An angry moron with his family called the lead FA an "aisle donkey" and a few other nasty things when he was told he had to check one of his bags (Not sure how the GA allowed it on board, but that's a whole other story). He informed all of us that he would sue the airline and us personally for discrimination, because he was a Trump supporter, and we clearly hate America and didn't want him to fly. I wish I could make this stuff up because the reality is terrifying that people behave this way...

(I must admit, it was the first time I've ever heard a flight attendant being called an "aisle donkey" and we did have a good laugh over that one later on in the flight.)
Old May 21, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Did he call you a “cockpit donkey” 757FO?
Old May 21, 2023, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Did he call you a “cockpit donkey” 757FO?
If he had, I may have fallen onto the floor laughing!!!
Old May 21, 2023, 5:36 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by 757FO
Had the pleasure of removing an obnoxious passenger and his family the other week on UA110. An angry moron with his family called the lead FA an "aisle donkey" and a few other nasty things when he was told he had to check one of his bags (Not sure how the GA allowed it on board, but that's a whole other story). He informed all of us that he would sue the airline and us personally for discrimination, because he was a Trump supporter, and we clearly hate America and didn't want him to fly. I wish I could make this stuff up because the reality is terrifying that people behave this way...

(I must admit, it was the first time I've ever heard a flight attendant being called an "aisle donkey" and we did have a good laugh over that one later on in the flight.)
Just had a family deplaned [unboarded lol] for a very similar comment by a mom when told to put her things in bin up here in business since back bins were full. Then lots of husband and wife arguing loudly in Hindi (family had Indian Paasports in hand and one of my employees travelling with me is a native hinds speaker and translated-husband was not happy with wife) and then they took them off and loaded some standbys.

On 102 and it delayed us about 20 minutes.

Yelling is never a good plan regardless of who you are.
Old May 21, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 757FO
Had the pleasure of removing an obnoxious passenger and his family the other week on UA110.)
thank you for enforcing basic behavior, I wish more crew were willing -- polite paying pax appreciate not flying with morons who make the experience worse for all of us
Old Aug 16, 2023, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Note to GS customers - please don't whine loudly in PremPlus seat section, partially blocking boarding, to a Hawaii-based FA about upgrades for your companions ("I'm a GS" was mentioned", followed by "treat them special") not coming through on a Hawaii-bound flight right now. Seriously. Get a grip and don't be self-centered and (even above that) oblivious. She had seat up front - never understood why she felt the need for the attention farther back. Maybe there were more of us "unfortunates" to broadcast to...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 16, 2023 at 4:37 pm
Old Aug 16, 2023, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Note to GS customers - please don't whine loudly in PremPlus seat section, partially blocking boarding, to a Hawaii-based FA about upgrades for your companions ("I'm a GS" was mentioned", followed by "treat them special") not coming through on a Hawaii-bound flight right now. Seriously. Get a grip and don't be self-centered and (even above that) oblivious. She had seat up front - never understood why she felt the need for the attention farther back. Maybe there were more of us "unfortunates" to broadcast to...
It could have been worse - they could have demanded, or tried to physically force, someone else from their PP or F seat to accommodate her and her friends, it's not like that situation hasn't been reported here over the years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.