Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2023, 11:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It would be interesting to know why/how UA decided on that.

Maybe UA decided on two-meal flights lunch/dinner is one service and breakfast (whether or not it makes sense) will be the other.
As most passengers sleep during most long haul flights, even for daytime flights, breakfast after waking up?
While some don't sleep, most do -- whether it is best for jet lag or not.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As most passengers sleep during most long haul flights, even for daytime flights, breakfast after waking up?
While some don't sleep, most do -- whether it is best for jet lag or not.
Denny's, Waffle House, and IHOP stay busy around the clock... someone's having breakfast at all times of day.

My apologies to the good people working the griddle at those establishments to having their food compared to lower quality airline catering.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gberg
We were already delayed and didn’t want to put up a fight (especially given I would have to interact with FAs for 8 hours). But yes - insanity, and a first for me.
Got an apology and “as an exception” here’s a $200 ETC.”
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:22 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
It would be interesting to know why/how UA decided on that.

Maybe UA decided on two-meal flights lunch/dinner is one service and breakfast (whether or not it makes sense) will be the other.
I forget all the details, but an old Pan Am F/A told me that in the days of long-haul propeller flights (and perhaps even flying boats?) most of the landing times were appropriate for a breakfast service. As flying times became shorter with newer & faster planes, they retained that breakfast-for-arrival mantra. (The context was a discussion of trans-Pacific flights.)
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
So what was the GA to do? It's obvious that even the Captain couldn't make the pax move. Does the GA have some magical power to make him move?
Yes. Refund his ticket. He’s then engage in trespass.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:44 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Yes. Refund his ticket. He’s then engage in trespass.
And then what? Call the police to have him dragged off?
VRFast likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Just the beat the heck out of him and send him back to economy.
iluv2fly, Kacee and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You damaged something! I’m a 1K!

Sitting in 20A on 777HD HNL-LAX redeye last night. Late boarding passenger was in 17C asks purser for help in finding space for his medium-sized rollaboard. Purser sees space in bin above 17D. FA scoots a soft-side bag over and lifts 17C’s bag into bin, although it has to lean somewhat onto soft side, then closes bin w/o having to force item into bin or apply extra effort to close bin. He then leaves. A half-minute later irate 17D gets up and asks 1C multiple times why he put his stuff in his bin. 17C says the FA did (multiple times). FA notices irate passenger who then says “I’m a 1K - why did you treat my bag like that? You probably damaged something!” (W/o looking in bag). GA come over and tells 1K 17D that she’s trying to close flight. He takes picture of her w/ his phone. She goes away and comes back a minute later and asks him multiple times to open bag and show her any damaged items for a report. He refuses.

Finally, they move his bag to another bin. GA tells him she’s filing a report indicating he claimed potential damage but refused to show any.

United employees were both very professional during and after incident.

Before de-planing, I wrote a summary of what I saw and gave it to the purser in case it became a “he said, she said” deal. He was extremely appreciative.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 28, 2023 at 7:35 pm
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Sitting in 20A on 777HD HNL-LAX redeye last night. Late boarding passenger was in 17C asks purser for help in finding space for his medium-sized rollaboard. Purser sees space in bin above 17D. FA scoots a soft-side bag over and lifts 17C’s bag into bin, although it has to lean somewhat onto soft side, then closes bin w/o having to force item into bin or apply extra effort to close bin. He then leaves. A half-minute later irate 17D gets up and asks 1C multiple times why he put his stuff in his bin. 17C says the FA did (multiple times). FA notices irate passenger who then says “I’m a 1K - why did you treat my bag like that? You probably damaged something!” (W/o looking in bag). GA come over and tells 1K 17D that she’s trying to close flight. He takes picture of her w/ his phone. She goes away and comes back a minute later and ask him multiple times to open bag and show her any damaged items for a report. He refuses.

Finally, they move his bag to another bin. GA tells him she’s filing a report indicating he claimed potential damage but refused to show any.

Before de-planing, I wrote a summary of what I saw and gave it to the purser in case it became a “he said, she said” deal. He was extremely appreciative.
He's lucky he wasn't off-loaded for taking a photo of the employee (I assume w/o his permission). He lucked out on that.
lincolnjkc, LAXOGG, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
That’s one option.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Sitting in 20A on 777HD HNL-LAX redeye last night. Late boarding passenger was in 17C asks purser for help in finding space for his medium-sized rollaboard. Purser sees space in bin above 17D. FA scoots a soft-side bag over and lifts 17C’s bag into bin, although it has to lean somewhat onto soft side, then closes bin w/o having to force item into bin or apply extra effort to close bin. He then leaves. A half-minute later irate 17D gets up and asks 1C multiple times why he put his stuff in his bin. 17C says the FA did (multiple times). FA notices irate passenger who then says “I’m a 1K - why did you treat my bag like that? You probably damaged something!” (W/o looking in bag). GA come over and tells 1K 17D that she’s trying to close flight. He takes picture of her w/ his phone. She goes away and comes back a minute later and ask him multiple times to open bag and show her any damaged items for a report. He refuses.

Sadly I have seen this scenario played out many times. In fact so many times that this is one reason I tend not bring carry on with me and check everything. People get reall ugly sometimes for even mildly encroaching on "their" overhead space. Weird what can I say.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by nomad420
Sadly I have seen this scenario played out many times. In fact so many times that this is one reason I tend not bring carry on with me and check everything. People get reall ugly sometimes for even mildly encroaching on "their" overhead space. Weird what can I say.
Just made this post in another thread -- here's how I think we got here.... The Overhead Hunger Games Evolution
AeRoSpaceman and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:35 am

1k on 2143 ewr-sju 4/28 brings mutt w/o any papers. mutley leaves a steamer in aisle & 1k asks fa to clean it up. new kid too scared to say no…. carpet still stank on return from sju-ewr.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by featheroleather
1k on 2143 ewr-sju 4/28 brings mutt w/o any papers. mutley leaves a steamer in aisle & 1k asks fa to clean it up. new kid too scared to say no…. carpet still stank on return from sju-ewr.
This charmer wouldn't happen to be a marginally famous baseball player, would he?
jsloan, wrp96, ZenFlyer and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by featheroleather
I don’t mind little doggies on board, but the rules of the road are “pooch poops you clean”. Aside from being a disgusting request of a stranger, the crew member is still required to serve food and beverages to the rest of the cabin and no amount of hand washing is enough to quell the ick factor there.

I’m surprised other customers didn’t speak up to stop the FA from cleaning it
janehoya and manstein58 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.