Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 22, 1:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 12, 22, 9:06 am
  #616  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 51,134
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
I do find it weird it being phrased that way as in "not authorized to fly the booked route" by a (useless) doc checker.
Why? If you don't have a valid pasport (or visa if required), you're not flying an international route, but you're free to fly domestic (or Schengen in this case). It's all route-dependent.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:42 am
  #617  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Away offshore
Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Posts: 229
Flying from EWR this past weekend, CPUs cleared for me and my wife right as boarding started into the last two F seats on a CRJ-550, with another two names on the list behind us. We boarded with group 2 and got to our seats to see the woman in 1D (with a tiny dog wearing a Service Dog vest) glaring at us. She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"

I'm Silver and my wife has no status on UA, so the prepackaged cheese and crackers definitely tasted like victory lol. Her dog also spent the entire flight barking and crying, but that's a discussion for a different thread I think...
jsloan, lamphs, United747 and 6 others like this.
ssb2045 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 11:01 am
  #618  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CLE, DCA, and 30k feet
Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Posts: 3,366
Originally Posted by ssb2045 View Post
She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"
United has a very powerful way to signify that you want to sit in the same cabin as someone else: It's called buying/booking the seat you want when you want it. 98% of the time it's guaranteed to work, and the other 2% it's definitely United's fault and worth grousing about.
lincolnjkc is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 12:29 pm
  #619  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,668
Originally Posted by ssb2045 View Post
Flying from EWR this past weekend, CPUs cleared for me and my wife right as boarding started into the last two F seats on a CRJ-550, with another two names on the list behind us. We boarded with group 2 and got to our seats to see the woman in 1D (with a tiny dog wearing a Service Dog vest) glaring at us. She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"

I'm Silver and my wife has no status on UA, so the prepackaged cheese and crackers definitely tasted like victory lol. Her dog also spent the entire flight barking and crying, but that's a discussion for a different thread I think...
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
United has a very powerful way to signify that you want to sit in the same cabin as someone else: It's called buying/booking the seat you want when you want it. 98% of the time it's guaranteed to work, and the other 2% it's definitely United's fault and worth grousing about.
​​​​Ah, the old Want First, Do Not Buy First strategy strikes again.
fumje is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 1:44 pm
  #620  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM/Lifetime UC, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 7,584
Originally Posted by ssb2045 View Post
She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"
Sounds like a child.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 2:12 pm
  #621  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 16,266
Originally Posted by ssb2045 View Post
Flying from EWR this past weekend, CPUs cleared for me and my wife right as boarding started into the last two F seats on a CRJ-550, with another two names on the list behind us. We boarded with group 2 and got to our seats to see the woman in 1D (with a tiny dog wearing a Service Dog vest) glaring at us. She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"
If you want to make friends here's where you say "If it's important that you and your mother sit together, I'm sure that whoever's in the coach seat next to hers wouldn't mind swapping places with you"
Zorak is online now  
Old Sep 13, 22, 9:25 pm
  #622  
LIH
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ORD | LGA | 2E
Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz PC
Posts: 967
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
United has a very powerful way to signify that you want to sit in the same cabin as someone else: It's called buying/booking the seat you want when you want it. 98% of the time it's guaranteed to work, and the other 2% it's definitely United's fault and worth grousing about.
I just ran the stats and I'm actually at 99.4% on UA of "buy first, fly first" success since 2014 when I started tracking more of my own data. That's ~800 flights so seems statistically significant. That 0.6% was very... memorable... though.
LIH is offline  
Old Sep 15, 22, 12:48 am
  #623  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,049
From the moment I stepped on the flight this guy kept asking if it was full in the front, hes in row 30 center bulkhead on a 777 immediately puts his feet against the wall. All throughout boarding he asked the FAs about 6 times if it was full in front and everytime the FAs ask him to put his bag in the overheads, his seat mate asked him if he's #1 on the upgrade list and his reply is I don't know.

Update: he asked for a red wine before we even got to the taxiway. I wonder what his reaction will be when he finds out its not free in Y.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Sep 15, 22 at 12:53 am
thejaredhuang is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread