Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 22, 1:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 12, 22, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
I do find it weird it being phrased that way as in "not authorized to fly the booked route" by a (useless) doc checker.
Why? If you don't have a valid pasport (or visa if required), you're not flying an international route, but you're free to fly domestic (or Schengen in this case). It's all route-dependent.
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Flying from EWR this past weekend, CPUs cleared for me and my wife right as boarding started into the last two F seats on a CRJ-550, with another two names on the list behind us. We boarded with group 2 and got to our seats to see the woman in 1D (with a tiny dog wearing a Service Dog vest) glaring at us. She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"

I'm Silver and my wife has no status on UA, so the prepackaged cheese and crackers definitely tasted like victory lol. Her dog also spent the entire flight barking and crying, but that's a discussion for a different thread I think...
jsloan, lamphs, United747 and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 22, 11:01 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ssb2045 View Post
She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"
United has a very powerful way to signify that you want to sit in the same cabin as someone else: It's called buying/booking the seat you want when you want it. 98% of the time it's guaranteed to work, and the other 2% it's definitely United's fault and worth grousing about.
Old Sep 13, 22, 12:29 pm

Flying from EWR this past weekend, CPUs cleared for me and my wife right as boarding started into the last two F seats on a CRJ-550, with another two names on the list behind us. We boarded with group 2 and got to our seats to see the woman in 1D (with a tiny dog wearing a Service Dog vest) glaring at us. She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"

I'm Silver and my wife has no status on UA, so the prepackaged cheese and crackers definitely tasted like victory lol. Her dog also spent the entire flight barking and crying, but that's a discussion for a different thread I think...
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
United has a very powerful way to signify that you want to sit in the same cabin as someone else: It's called buying/booking the seat you want when you want it. 98% of the time it's guaranteed to work, and the other 2% it's definitely United's fault and worth grousing about.
​​​​Ah, the old Want First, Do Not Buy First strategy strikes again.
Old Sep 13, 22, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM/Lifetime UC, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
She then asked the FA if that meant that her mom could not sit in F with her, and said "Why would they upgrade people when I wanted that seat for my mom?"
Sounds like a child.
Old Sep 13, 22, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
If you want to make friends here's where you say "If it's important that you and your mother sit together, I'm sure that whoever's in the coach seat next to hers wouldn't mind swapping places with you"
Old Sep 13, 22, 9:25 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
I just ran the stats and I'm actually at 99.4% on UA of "buy first, fly first" success since 2014 when I started tracking more of my own data. That's ~800 flights so seems statistically significant. That 0.6% was very... memorable... though.
Old Sep 15, 22, 12:48 am

Programs: UA
From the moment I stepped on the flight this guy kept asking if it was full in the front, hes in row 30 center bulkhead on a 777 immediately puts his feet against the wall. All throughout boarding he asked the FAs about 6 times if it was full in front and everytime the FAs ask him to put his bag in the overheads, his seat mate asked him if he's #1 on the upgrade list and his reply is I don't know.

Update: he asked for a red wine before we even got to the taxiway. I wonder what his reaction will be when he finds out its not free in Y.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Sep 15, 22 at 12:53 am

Search this Thread