FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1737773-dykwia-stories-traveling-united-airlines.html)

EWRFlyerAL Aug 11, 22 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post 34507351)
Congrats, and thank you for your service!😄
Your EWR ‘street cried’ skills served you well at ORD!👍

ORD has been home base for the past 8 years but EWR was many more than that before. You can't take the Jersey out of this guy. LOL

tcdtcd Aug 11, 22 3:50 pm

To be clear, I was not casting aspersions on the state of NJ (nor you), only EWR and the combat skills often required!😃

IAH-OIL-TRASH Aug 11, 22 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 34494654)
Agree completelty -- and there are few worse boarding areas than CDG....

In the pre-Covid terminal or the current one? Or both?

bmwe92fan Aug 11, 22 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 34507493)
In the pre-Covid terminal or the current one? Or both?

Which level of hell do you prefer?

benewr Aug 12, 22 2:08 am

Just witnessed a GS litteraly EXPLODE at a poor check in agent in LIS this morning.

He apparently was told by the pre-checkin security person he was not authorized to fly the route he had booked. He forced it and rushed to the agent.
« I travel more than you, I l know the rules » « you know I am Global Services » « I fly international 3 times a week » « I AM GLOBAL SERVICES !!!!!
Oh and of course the Policia came !

Funny and painfull to watch… let’s see if he actually is in the plane.

miamiflyer8 Aug 12, 22 5:59 am

Originally Posted by benewr (Post 34508436)
Just witnessed a GS litteraly EXPLODE at a poor check in agent in LIS this morning.

He apparently was told by the pre-checkin security person he was not authorized to fly the route he had booked. He forced it and rushed to the agent.
« I travel more than you, I l know the rules » « you know I am Global Services » « I fly international 3 times a week » « I AM GLOBAL SERVICES !!!!!
Oh and of course the Policia came !

Funny and painfull to watch… let’s see if he actually is in the plane.

I'm curious how this came up, as far as I know the ICTS person looks at your travel docs and gives you the sticker after asking BS questions. Wouldn't the check in agent be the one determining if the route is authorized or not?

bocastephen Aug 12, 22 9:01 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 34508741)
I'm curious how this came up, as far as I know the ICTS person looks at your travel docs and gives you the sticker after asking BS questions. Wouldn't the check in agent be the one determining if the route is authorized or not?

Although the explosion was bad form, including waving the GS flag, I have to agree the security person has no knowledge or authority to determine what route or itinerary a passenger may fly, that is the sole determination of the airline. I probably would have lost my cool too, although without shrieking “1K!! 1K!!”

Those ICTS people are a relic of another era and really should be done away with by now. I’ve never understood their purpose

LIH Aug 12, 22 9:19 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 34509175)
Although the explosion was bad form, including waving the GS flag, I have to agree the security person has no knowledge or authority to determine what route or itinerary a passenger may fly, that is the sole determination of the airline. I probably would have lost my cool too, although without shrieking “1K!! 1K!!”

Those ICTS people are a relic of another era and really should be done away with by now. I’ve never understood their purpose

Yes but collecting the stickers is fun.

benewr Aug 12, 22 9:39 am

Originally Posted by LIH (Post 34509224)

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 34508741)

Well, if your ESTA was not up to date OR if you had a green card issue, then the ICTS person would flag you.
From what I saw, the check in agent was on the same page and he was also extremely confrontational with her too.

miamiflyer8 Aug 12, 22 10:07 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 34509175)

ARN was a good 5 minute interview asking very detailed questions. FRA is not as bad but they seem to love repeating the same questions twice from different agents. I'm wondering how the ICTS guy at LIS came to that conclusion.

Originally Posted by LIH (Post 34509224)

I agree on this one, stamps are getting rarer these days but one can at least reflect on past trip via the stickers.

Originally Posted by benewr (Post 34509309)
Well, if your ESTA was not up to date OR if you had a green card issue, then the ICTS person would flag you.
From what I saw, the check in agent was on the same page and he was also extremely confrontational with her too.

Yes, if you do not have the correct documents, you're not boarding. Period. However, I do find it weird it being phrased that way as in "not authorized to fly the booked route" by a (useless) doc checker.

fumje Aug 12, 22 10:08 am

Originally Posted by benewr (Post 34509309)

Did the DYKWIA make it onto the plane?

benewr Aug 12, 22 10:24 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34509399)
Did the DYKWIA make it onto the plane?

I did not see him at boarding and in the Polaris cabin.

fumje Aug 12, 22 10:34 am

Originally Posted by benewr (Post 34509452)
I did not see him at boarding and in the Polaris cabin.

Well here's hoping that tantrum has indeed gotten the policia to 'KW' he is.

n12hx Sep 12, 22 8:25 am

Had a delight the other morning on UA2...a younger couple in front of me were extremely condescending to the Changi security folks as well as the gate agents...."of course I get extra security screening, it must be my Louis Vuitton bag, these people have no idea what they're doing, they just want to look at our stuff". When they got to the agents to board they asked about the +Points upgrades they put in for, the agents told them that they didn't go through, to which they responded, "what do you mean, we're #1 on the list!" then proceeded to stand in line loudly complaining that the gate agents didn't know what they were doing, that outstation agents don't know the rules, etc. They most definitely weren't #1 on the list, as others were upgraded before them (including me), and I smiled my biggest smile at them as they headed to Y.

Aussienarelle Sep 12, 22 8:56 am

Originally Posted by n12hx (Post 34592856)
Had a delight the other morning on UA2...a younger couple in front of me were extremely condescending to the Changi security folks as well as the gate agents...."of course I get extra security screening, it must be my Louis Vuitton bag, these people have no idea what they're doing, they just want to look at our stuff". When they got to the agents to board they asked about the +Points upgrades they put in for, the agents told them that they didn't go through, to which they responded, "what do you mean, we're #1 on the list!" then proceeded to stand in line loudly complaining that the gate agents didn't know what they were doing, that outstation agents don't know the rules, etc. They most definitely weren't #1 on the list, as others were upgraded before them (including me), and I smiled my biggest smile at them as they headed to Y.

Karma...