Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 22, 1:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 4, 22, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by ua1flyer View Post
that’s like saying “ I crashed my car into your living room, could you give me a ride home?”
I honestly just don't get it with some of these posts - it's almost like a Stephen King novel. A perfect normal person who waits in the checkout line at the supermarket with everyone else, or stands in line to buy a movie ticket is transported to an airport and suddenly becomes a raving lunatic pushing their way to grab the last loaf of bread on earth before everyone starves.
Old Aug 4, 22, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ua1flyer View Post
that’s like saying “ I crashed my car into your living room, could you give me a ride home?”
Except that the world has changed -- yes Tom we would never do this -- but trust me -- the entitlement culture is strong and growing!

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
I honestly just don't get it with some of these posts - it's almost like a Stephen King novel. A perfect normal person who waits in the checkout line at the supermarket with everyone else, or stands in line to buy a movie ticket is transported to an airport and suddenly becomes a raving lunatic pushing their way to grab the last loaf of bread on earth before everyone starves.
Well - I'll admit that air travel these days has gotten a bit like watching the "Hunger Games" -- but yes - for normal folk its hard to comprehend....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 22 at 9:17 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 4, 22, 7:15 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
I will frequently apologize when I do something stupid checking into a hotel/picking up my rental/etc with a "I'm sorry....My brain is still an airport or two behind me..."

On the flip side, one of my favorite bits of writing is The Hotel Guest With Half A Brain by Larry Mundy while it is clearly written from the hotel perspective I think a lot of it carries over to flying:
...Staying in your hotel is a necessary evil, an incidental part of the whole travel experience, something they have to do in order to achieve their real objective.That’s why guests enter your lobby with half a brain. The other half is otherwise occupied, thinking about what they’ll say when they meet the new in-laws, or how many sales they have to make to justify this trip, or the speech they will give on the Effects of Increasing Atmospheric Ozone Concentrations on the Service Life of Various Windshield-wiper Compounds. They are tired from their travels. They wander to the front desk like zombies, vaguely aware that they have to state their names and produce some sort of payment medium, but not sufficiently conscious to do much else.
Rare, lancelot21, tabTX and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I think I pulled a low-key DYKWIA at CDG last weekend.

The Boarding Group 1 line was bananas, so I went to one of the more competent UA staff running the show at the gate and said "Excuse me, is there a separate line for 1Ks/elites?" She then allowed me and my party to enter a cordoned off area at the gate for pre-boarding.
Old Aug 7, 22, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
You are ruled INNOCENT! No DYKWIA.
1Ks board before group 1. CDG gates are awful!

But thank you for self-reporting🤣.
DJ_Iceman, big V, gene2632 and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
You are ruled INNOCENT! No DYKWIA.
1Ks board before group 1. CDG gates are awful!

But thank you for self-reporting🤣.
this! Actually didn’t the GA or other gate staff announce the pre boarding for GS and 1K elite before getting around to Group 1? Besides non-1K in C/F, I don’t even know who else is in Group 1.
big V likes this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by big V View Post

The Boarding Group 1 line was bananas, so I went to one of the more competent UA staff running the show at the gate and said "Excuse me, is there a separate line for 1Ks/elites?" She then allowed me and my party to enter a cordoned off area at the gate for pre-boarding.
I’ll remember to do this when flying coach next month. Actually Comfort Plus which is the same thing.
big V likes this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:13 pm

Not in the least a DYKWIA case. You asked for something to which you were entitled. I truly dislike the lack of space at so many gates that make it difficult to congregate without it seeming as though you're cutting the line and getting pushback or dirty looks from those in the zone 1 line.
big V and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

While not DYKWIA per se, if early at the gate (e.g. prior to any pre-boarding) may be better to ask the GA(s): "Where would you like 1Ks and Globals to stand or line up?"

This does two things: 1) Reminds them that there are 1Ks and GS who are departing, and 2) you now have a (hopefully) clear location in which to assemble.

A slight modification if you seek to use it is "Where would you like _your_ 1Ks and Globals to stand or line up?" to also put the onus on the agent in terms of ownership of that flight's 1Ks and GS should they care to accept it.

David
flyme2, SPN Lifer, rch4u and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by flyme2 View Post
Not in the least a DYKWIA case. You asked for something to which you were entitled. I truly dislike the lack of space at so many gates that make it difficult to congregate without it seeming as though you're cutting the line and getting pushback or dirty looks from those in the zone 1 line.
Agree completelty -- and there are few worse boarding areas than CDG....
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
While not DYKWIA per se, if early at the gate (e.g. prior to any pre-boarding) may be better to ask the GA(s): "Where would you like 1Ks and Globals to stand or line up?"

This does two things: 1) Reminds them that there are 1Ks and GS who are departing, and 2) you now have a (hopefully) clear location in which to assemble.

A slight modification if you seek to use it is "Where would you like _your_ 1Ks and Globals to stand or line up?" to also put the onus on the agent in terms of ownership of that flight's 1Ks and GS should they care to accept it.

David
I like the way you think, David.
big V likes this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by flyme2 View Post
I like the way you think, David.
Mercí.

David
flyme2 and atword like this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 7:39 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Is it just me or are there more DYKWIAs out there this summer...

Boarding a delayed CLE-ORD on an RJ today... I misjudged when the flight would start so by the time I made it to the gate the Group 1 line was mostly disposed of so I just got at the end of that line. Woman a few people ahead of me was very clearly a party of 1 but had two rollaboards handle-to-handle.

The gate agent asks to tag one of the two (presumably, you know, so that other people have a decent chance of actually getting something in the OHB) the woman responds in the most -- pissy, for lack of a better adjective -- tone "I'm in FIRST CLASS it better fit" -- while storming down the jetway and (nearly?) running over another agent's toes in the process. I think that was the first time I've exchanged a spontaneous "...?!?" glance with a gate agent I didn't know.

(I'd say that by the time I boarded First was full and it looked like at least the front 1/3 of Economy was also spoken for. As a bit of karmatic justice her bag made it into the overhead bin -- at about row 12.
Xyzzy, LIH and VRFast like this.
Old Aug 11, 22, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, National Executive
Just shut down a DYKWIA at ORD. The line for PreCheck security was very long. We came out of the Global Reception and got in line. A few minutes later, two guys left the reception and attempted to go up to the front of the lines (cutting about 30-50 people). They were trying to push in when one of the guys declared that he was GS. He was literally pushing into the line in front of a woman and her kids. I was about 15 people behind this and shouted up "hey, the line ends back there." He replied that he was GS. I said "So am I, get in line." He then did the walk back to the end of the line. His friend looked a bit embarrassed. The people around me thanked me. I guess I'm UA line monitor for today. I don't like people who knowingly try things like this.
Old Aug 11, 22, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Congrats, and thank you for your service!😄
Your EWR ‘street cred’ skills served you well at ORD!👍
flyme2, big V and janehoya like this.

Search this Thread