Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 22, 1:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 30, 22, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Forgot to post this photo from LAX UC (07/05/22):

FWIW, when I looked at the staff, they looked helpless at the situation. I had to book to get to my flight.

David
Dogs out of their kennel and on a leash in public areas where itís specifically prohibited is a pet peeve of mine😉.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, gayste and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by limey1K View Post
Dogs out of their kennel and on a leash in public areas where itís specifically prohibited is a pet peeve of mine😉.
Ruff crowd here in the UA Forum...

David
commaspace likes this.
Old Jul 30, 22, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Youíre barking up the wrong tree.
Old Jul 30, 22, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The dog looks fine; my issue is how its companion primate is dressed. Unacceptable.
Old Jul 30, 22, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Forgot to post this photo from LAX UC (07/05/22):

FWIW, when I looked at the staff, they looked helpless at the situation. I had to book to get to my flight.

David
In Fido's defense, he is probably more hygienic than many of the club patron's I've observed. As long as he doesn't pee or poop on the floor, I don't see an issue, plus no one will be changing his diaper on one of the tables used for dining.

As to the staff looking helpless, I've had that same issue when trying to point out hygiene violations, and it appears they have been specifically instructed not to get involved in any type of enforcement of rules or reprimanding of a customer, so without any actual UA agents roaming the floor, it's pretty much the wild west out there.
Old Jul 30, 22, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Originally Posted by limey1K View Post
Dogs out of their kennel and on a leash in public areas where it’s specifically prohibited is a pet peeve of mine😉.
Agreed. Service animals (REAL ones) are one thing. Fido is another. Not hygienic. Not polite. I don't get why this is considered normal or acceptable. Pets belong at home.
janehoya and gayste like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 22 at 12:28 am Reason: repair quote
Old Jul 31, 22, 2:01 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ(RIP) Freccia Alata+, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez
I guess I saw so many dogs in restaurants while living in Germany for years I got used to it a bit.

At DEN a few weeks ago I saw someone take one shoe and sock off and pick at their feet. A guy with a proper Philly/South Jersey accent nearby said something loud enough that the person put shoe on and left LOL.
Old Jul 31, 22, 7:28 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
In F on a domestic flight last night -- probably about 1/2 way through the flight -- I'm getting some work done with my headphones on and the guy next to me (who was generally on the lower end of my opinion of seatmates based on behavior earlier) pulls his cell phone close to his head and starts shouting, but I can't make out what the issue is.

Not sure what was going on I take the headphones off and while doing that I happen to catch a glimpse of the screen -- "WIRELESS CALLER 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx"... He's not...?

"YEAH I'M ON THE PLANE RIGHT NOW."

He is. Sigh.

"NO I BOUGHT THE WIFI SO WE CAN TALK NOW. WHAT'S GOING ON?"

I stop paying attention to what he's saying and contemplate the best way to get this stopped before it gets started. Apparently my glare while contemplating "say something" vs "hit FA button" vs "don't start something at 30,000 feet" combined with a couple people near by doing the same was intense enough it made the Wi-Fi Spotty

"...SO...HEY....YOU'RE BREAKING....YOU'RE BREAKING...I CAN'T HEAR YOU...CAN YOU HEAR ME?!? WHY DON'T I CALL YOU BACK WHEN I LAND."

Not the most egregious violation but one heck of a bit of annoying, particularly the number of places UA says you can't do this in flight.
Old Jul 31, 22, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 4.2MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
In F on a domestic flight last night -- probably about 1/2 way through the flight -- I'm getting some work done with my headphones on and the guy next to me (who was generally on the lower end of my opinion of seatmates based on behavior earlier) pulls his cell phone close to his head and starts shouting, but I can't make out what the issue is.

Not sure what was going on I take the headphones off and while doing that I happen to catch a glimpse of the screen -- "WIRELESS CALLER 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx"... He's not...?

"YEAH I'M ON THE PLANE RIGHT NOW."

He is. Sigh.

"NO I BOUGHT THE WIFI SO WE CAN TALK NOW. WHAT'S GOING ON?"

I stop paying attention to what he's saying and contemplate the best way to get this stopped before it gets started. Apparently my glare while contemplating "say something" vs "hit FA button" vs "don't start something at 30,000 feet" combined with a couple people near by doing the same was intense enough it made the Wi-Fi Spotty

"...SO...HEY....YOU'RE BREAKING....YOU'RE BREAKING...I CAN'T HEAR YOU...CAN YOU HEAR ME?!? WHY DON'T I CALL YOU BACK WHEN I LAND."

Not the most egregious violation but one heck of a bit of annoying, particularly the number of places UA says you can't do this in flight.
"Sir, just to let you know, a good friend of mine recently made a phone call via the in-air WiFi, which is against FAA regulations, and when the plane landed he was arrested." That should work!
Old Aug 4, 22, 12:26 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Lol, this was a first for me, and just happened.... I had a passenger pop into the flight deck to mention he is a Delta Medallion member, and always gets upgrades on Delta flights, and can I help him out. I politely explained that his status, unfortunately doesn't carry over to United Airlines, and I can't help him. He then proceeds to tell me he is on a scouting mission to possibly leave Delta for United, and given my unhelpful attitude, my airline will not see the substantial amount of business he planned to bring. I smiled, thanked him for flying with us, and told him to please take his seat.

I think the ridiculously hot weather at EWR may have temporarily fried his brain.
Old Aug 4, 22, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
Lol, this was a first for me, and just happened.... I had a passenger pop into the flight deck to mention he is a Delta Medallion member, and always gets upgrades on Delta flights, and can I help him out. I politely explained that his status, unfortunately doesn't carry over to United Airlines, and I can't help him. He then proceeds to tell me he is on a scouting mission to possibly leave Delta for United, and given my unhelpful attitude, my airline will not see the substantial amount of business he planned to bring. I smiled, thanked him for flying with us, and told him to please take his seat.

I think the ridiculously hot weather at EWR may have temporarily fried his brain.
Just when we thought we hit rock bottom with bad passenger behavior, here comes this guy to dig even deeper. Good grief!
Old Aug 4, 22, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

Before you typed it I just knew this was EWR -- my home airport....
tcdtcd, manstein58, 757FO and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 2:01 pm

Nicely done not simply bursting out laughing. Wonder if first row or two might have heard. I'm sure I'd have had an involuntary little guffaw at least (just did reading this).
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:09 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Nicely done not simply bursting out laughing. Wonder if first row or two might have heard. I'm sure I'd have had an involuntary little guffaw at least (just did reading this).
It was REALLY hard not to laugh! The FO promptly tried a similar effort later in the day, when he tried to hustle a free Starbucks by telling the barista he was scouting new coffee drinks. I nearly fell over I was laughing so hard.

One thing is for sure, my job is NEVER boring.
Old Aug 4, 22, 6:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Just when we thought we hit rock bottom with bad passenger behavior, here comes this guy to dig even deeper. Good grief!
thatís like saying ď I crashed my car into your living room, could you give me a ride home?Ē

Search this Thread