FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1737773-dykwia-stories-traveling-united-airlines-2016-onward.html)

manstein58 Jan 9, 16 10:56 am

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

On a flight IAH/CLT now. Thirty minutes into flight PAX across from me has hit FA CALL button 4 times. She had FA take back her salad for a sandwich then, when her husband's lunch arrived ,switched out his sandwich for a salad. Then asked FA on how to access WiFi and asked for another two cookies. FA is being a sport about it but what self-centered PITA.

Now shouting at her husband unaware she has forty pound headphones on

What is record for hitting the FA call button

LAXOGG Jan 9, 16 11:43 am

Originally Posted by manstein58 (Post 25990316)
On a flight IAH/CLT now. Thirty minutes into flight PAX across from me has hit FA CALL button 4 times. She had FA take back her salad for a sandwich then, when her husband's lunch arrived ,switched out his sandwich for a salad. Then asked FA on how to access WiFi and asked for another two cookies. FA is being a sport about it but what self-centered PITA.

Aggressive use of the call button really annoys me as well. In 50 years of flying I have pushed the button only once......when the passenger next to me showed signs of having a heart attack.

United747 Jan 9, 16 11:48 am

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 25990512)
Aggressive use of the call button really annoys me as well. In 50 years of flying I have pushed the button only once......when the passenger next to me showed signs of having a heart attack.

Same here, but I'm 20. It's because my dad spilled soda all over.

Mike Jacoubowsky Jan 9, 16 12:05 pm

4x probably isn't close to a record. I think it's a cultural thing. I don't remember where I was flying but a lot of people were hitting the call buttons a lot of times. Obviously not the same as one person hitting it over and over and over, but there was an obvious comfort level hitting that button that you don't typically see in the US. Thankfully. :cool:

fumje Jan 9, 16 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 25990600)
4x probably isn't close to a record. I think it's a cultural thing. I don't remember where I was flying but a lot of people were hitting the call buttons a lot of times. Obviously not the same as one person hitting it over and over and over, but there was an obvious comfort level hitting that button that you don't typically see in the US. Thankfully. :cool:

Hitting the call button is a competitive sport on Chinese flights. (The other past-time is dashing into the aisle to retrieve bags as soon as wheels touch tarmac. :p)

helvetic Jan 9, 16 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 25990512)

People seem to find using the call button disrespectful. What's the proper etiquette on it?

If you want service (another drink, a bottle of water), and the FAs aren't coming around very often….what do you do. Nothing? Walk up to the front, potentially disturbing others on our way there? Or use the call button?

LAXOGG Jan 9, 16 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 25990875)
People seem to find using the call button disrespectful. What's the proper etiquette on it?

If you want service (another drink, a bottle of water), and the FAs aren't coming around very often….what do you do. Nothing? Walk up to the front, potentially disturbing others on our way there? Or use the call button?

I try to patiently wait, but if necessary, I'll walk up front and ask ( I'm normally traveling up front). That's typically followed by a drink service tour of the cabin by the flight crew.

findark Jan 9, 16 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 25990875)

I'll ring if the drink service is really slacking off - like if it's been an hour or two and still no check for refills etc. I'm a window person, so it seems less disruptive than trying to get up. Never more than once per flight though. If a gentle reminder isn't going to kick up attentiveness, ringing repeatedly is only going to make the situation worse.

VNDream Jan 10, 16 12:25 pm

I fly alot and to be honest, the only DYKWIA experiences have been at the expense of the cabin crew, not other PAX's. However, since the departure of the former CEO, it has gotten alot better. :D

joshwex90 Jan 11, 16 12:42 am

I've used the call bell on three separate occasions
  1. My first time ever flying C, I was young and shy, and the FA took a liking to me. When I went to get a drink, she "scolded" me, telling me to only use the call button. So I used it once
  2. Flying with a broken leg
  3. Sat in a middle sit next to a man who had swallowed what appeared to have been a whale. I was wedged in the whole flight. When I asked for a water, she went back and got me a 2 liter bottle, saying she didn't know when I'd make it out again :eek: She threw in a whiskey for good measure :D

bmwe92fan Jan 11, 16 12:45 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 25997750)
I've used the call bell on three separate occasions
  1. My first time ever flying C, I was young and shy, and the FA took a liking to me. When I went to get a drink, she "scolded" me, telling me to only use the call button. So I used it once
  2. Flying with a broken leg
  3. Sat in a middle sit next to a man who had swallowed what appeared to have been a whale. I was wedged in the whole flight. When I asked for a water, she went back and got me a 2 liter bottle, saying she didn't know when I'd make it out again :eek: She threw in a whiskey for good measure :D

I have used the call button multiple times - but always for the same reason - about to have renal failure from the seatbelt light left on way too long and can't take any more (no I'm not the type to ignore it and just get up)....

milepig Jan 11, 16 12:25 pm

Call button use I remember:

1. The drunk guy next to me spilled his entire bloody mary into my crotch.
2. The person next to me passed out.
3. Total lack of attention from FAs, in my experience CO was famous for leaving your meal tray in front of you for hours on INTL flights.
4. Not UA, but on one occasion when the oxygen marks over my seat fell down for no apparent reason. (The FA just tucked them back in and closed the cover.)
5. In INTL business when my seat completely failed to operate.

RoyalFlush Jan 11, 16 1:18 pm

At the DFW (on-terminal) Grand Hyatt earlier today.

In the lobby, lady sits down near me (under 10 feet), yanks out her Mac and iPhone. Then proceeds to host a webinar. Yep, loudly giving out the dial-in and pin a few times.

Normally, I'd record 90 seconds of it on my Android then play it back (similar to an incident last July on IAH/DEN which yielded me a standing ovation from flight crew and fellow pax).

I didn't this time.

Maybe that was a good thing as she was my seat-mate on UAX to ORD. We had a good chat.

Still rude as crap and DYKWIA!

Critic Jan 11, 16 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush (Post 26001097)
At the DFW (on-terminal) Grand Hyatt earlier today.

In the lobby, lady sits down near me (under 10 feet), yanks out her Mac and iPhone. Then proceeds to host a webinar. Yep, loudly giving out the dial-in and pin a few times.

Normally, I'd record 90 seconds of it on my Android then play it back (similar to an incident last July on IAH/DEN which yielded me a standing ovation from flight crew and fellow pax).

I didn't this time.

Maybe that was a good thing as she was my seat-mate on UAX to ORD. We had a good chat.

Still rude as crap and DYKWIA!

Even better - since she kept announcing the dial-in and PIN number publicly, you should have joined the call, stayed in for a few minutes, and then called her out on her actions and disconnect. You'll get to shame the DYKWIA, and the bonus is that it'll go out live over the web to all of the people on her call.

RoyalFlush Jan 11, 16 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Critic (Post 26002077)
Even better - since she kept announcing the dial-in and PIN number publicly, you should have joined the call, stayed in for a few minutes, and then called her out on her actions and disconnect. You'll get to shame the DYKWIA, and the bonus is that it'll go out live over the web to all of the people on her call.

:D

Oh, I did join the call! It was on "leader-speaker" only mode, so I assume she only gave out the particiant PIN without speaking priviledges. Otherwise, I would have had some real fun!

Nonetheless, her industry supplies bedding to top-scale chain hotels! :p