Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
I'd bet Delta wouldn't even delay an empty plane for them.
He should switch to AA; all the flights are delayed for everyone, whether they have status or not.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
He should switch to AA; all the flights are delayed for everyone, whether they have status or not.
and that is the definition of equality in 2019
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:56 pm

Standard pre-departure confusion as passengers try to figure out which line to get into. I’m waiting patiently in group 1 as a young, fit, somewhat wildly dressed lady walks up, pauses, looks at me and says “Are we boarding”. I respond with “They’ve just started.” Without a pause she says “Well I’m special”. “Well then,” I replied, “you probably ought to be the first on”. With that, she walked right up to the scanner behind a lady boarding in a wheel chair, and marched down the loading gate. Mind you, they hadn’t even announced GS yet, she was traveling alone and was fit enough to carry a bag of food in one hand and a large drink in the other.
I’m not sure if “special” is a new boarding category or not but it worked for her. As I got on I noticed she’s sitting about halfway back so maybe I don’t want that status. But it sure gave me a chuckle.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't give out many likes, but I'll do it for that story.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rock214
Standard pre-departure confusion as passengers try to figure out which line to get into. I’m waiting patiently in group 1 as a young, fit, somewhat wildly dressed lady walks up, pauses, looks at me and says “Are we boarding”. I respond with “They’ve just started.” Without a pause she says “Well I’m special”. “Well then,” I replied, “you probably ought to be the first on”. With that, she walked right up to the scanner behind a lady boarding in a wheel chair, and marched down the loading gate. Mind you, they hadn’t even announced GS yet, she was traveling alone and was fit enough to carry a bag of food in one hand and a large drink in the other.
I’m not sure if “special” is a new boarding category or not but it worked for her. As I got on I noticed she’s sitting about halfway back so maybe I don’t want that status. But it sure gave me a chuckle.
at least she knew her status 😂
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hawaiian Premier
Love the way you handled this - I will try to be as gracious next time a $#&! tries something like that on my flight
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hawaiian Premier
Love the way you handled this - I will try to be as gracious next time a $#&! tries something like that on my flight
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
“Well I’m special”.
"Sorry, this is the flight to YYY. You're looking for the short bus down the hall."
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Howste
"Sorry, this is the flight to YYY. You're looking for the short bus down the hall."
Mont-Joli?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Mont-Joli?
Yes. No "special" people are allowed there.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Howste
"Oh, wait, you're going to YME - go down the other hall"

David
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:29 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Really bad behavior out of 1A on UA 613 yesterday LAX > ORD. Guy absolutely lost it on the FAs when they asked him to put his murse in the overhead bin. Started cussing them out and screaming about the "hundred thousand dollars worth of stuff" that was in the bag. Dropping F bombs left and right. Was enough to get the LAX station manager on board to talk to him about calming down and the captain came out to make sure he was "good to go to O'Hare". Guy was like 6'8 with the bloated body of a washed-up athlete. He was clearly emotionally unstable. Was pretty surprised he wasn't removed. I was in 2B and the guys around me and I were all rolling our eyes at each other. FAs were unbelievably calm/professional. It was their first flight of a 4 day trip which I felt very bad for them about. Guy practically ran off the plane at ORD. Once we were clear of the gate I told him he should be ashamed of himself. He kind of looked at me stunned, which makes me wonder if he was on some combo of drugs or something and just really out of it.

This stuff seems to happen more frequently ex-LAX... go figure...
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by LIH
Really bad behavior out of 1A on UA 613 yesterday LAX > ORD. Guy absolutely lost it on the FAs when they asked him to put his murse in the overhead bin. Started cussing them out and screaming about the "hundred thousand dollars worth of stuff" that was in the bag. Dropping F bombs left and right. Was enough to get the LAX station manager on board to talk to him about calming down and the captain came out to make sure he was "good to go to O'Hare". Guy was like 6'8 with the bloated body of a washed-up athlete. He was clearly emotionally unstable. Was pretty surprised he wasn't removed. I was in 2B and the guys around me and I were all rolling our eyes at each other. FAs were unbelievably calm/professional. It was their first flight of a 4 day trip which I felt very bad for them about. Guy practically ran off the plane at ORD. Once we were clear of the gate I told him he should be ashamed of himself. He kind of looked at me stunned, which makes me wonder if he was on some combo of drugs or something and just really out of it.

Amusing - because if you look at the app, he was upgraded after check-in. Not very much of a high roller ...
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:10 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Originally Posted by LIH
Haha. Most instances I've had have been en route to ORD. I could easily say its a ex-ORD thing. Really I don't think these DYKWIA losers are prone to specific locations -- their egos seem to span continents. Seems like he should've been removed from this flight; should've taken his paranoia about his bag elsewhere.

Last edited by GDL; Oct 19, 2019 at 2:11 pm Reason: grammer
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
This is a 1K commenting on another 1K on UA 1757 on October 20. I was fortunate enough to have been able to switch to the flight due to the 1K desk (else it was going to be a long wait to get home from what had been a great weekend). However, I was allocated seat 37B so went to the desk to ask if any seats had become available (window or aisle) and the GA explained it was an oversold situation. As I was grateful to be on the flight I just said thank you. At no time did I mention I was a 1K. Next thing I know this man comes up to the gate behind me to ask if his upgrade had come through since his name was on the list. The GA explain FC had checked in full. I have no idea where Mr 1K in Economy was seated but he said loudly what does it take to get upgraded? Then he said quite loudly I am a 1K and my upgrades never come through. Of course those of us standing in the pre-boarding area are just looking at him astounded.

Now my thought was if he truly was a 1K he should know the GA has no control over that - I mean yes the GA controls the processing of the upgrades but there is a list; yelling at the GA is not going to help, and flying LAS-SFO on a Sunday afternoon is probably not going to be an upgrade situation most of the time. BTW - lots of GS folks - more GS than were sitting in FC as I pre-boarded.

Wasn't sure if it is truly a DYKWIA, but I was travelling with a friend who has no status with any airline and was happy to pre-board with me so her carryon could fit in the overhead (she enjoyed my status ) who commented how hostile and aggressive my fellow 1K member when talking with the GA ) She asked me why he (Mr 1K) was not grateful to be on the plane in an oversold situation and why he felt the need to brag about his status when he was going to be able to get his carryon in an overhead bin. I had to say I did agree with her. If you were this pax please be aware of how you treat others and how it may come across to pax who do not travel very much.

(BTW: middle seats in E- are not fun in case you forget how good it is to be in a window/aisle in E+)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.