Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've always wondered why there's two moving walkways from those concourses and only one to... Any of you Bay area UA denizens know THE answer?

OP - tell her if she'll wait there, you'll go back around and slam into her if it makes her feel better.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Probably more fitting for Travel Buzz. Don't ever assume there is logic in how people behave at the airport.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LIH
Cross this with the "celebrity sightings" thread, though I would use that definition loosely. Was on a 777-222 LAX > ORD yesterday with the GF cabin. I was in 2A and was bounced for an FAM down to 6C. Not great, but short flight so I don't really care. Shortly after I settle into my seat with my PDB (great FAs, by the way) I start to hear a commotion in row 7. A 50-year-old gentleman in a baseball hat is absolutely losing his mind about being in the business class cabin after having walked through the FC cabin. He starts to shout at the FA "I paid $2,500 for this ticket! This is the worst! there is no room for my arms! I want to sit up there!". I would note that later he upped that amount to "Three Grand!". He continues down this path for 15 minutes and eventually has a FA go and get a station manager who comes on and basically says "I get your frustration, there's nothing we can do, there wasn't an aircraft swap so this is actually the seat you booked." This is when the guy starts shouting "I'M JUDGE MATHIS! I'M JUDGE MATHIS AND THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!". It took every ounce of my self control not to just burst out laughing. Was live texting this to some buddies who were getting a big kick out of it.

During the flight I was chatting with one of the FAs and basically said I think they remained incredibly calm in the face of such a ridiculous tantrum. I also mentioned that I had been bumped for the FAM that was obviously sitting in my previously assigned 2A. I told him I wanted to go up to him and just say "I'm Global Services and you're in my courtroom now judge!".

So ridiculous. I do NOT miss living in LA and being ex-LAX where this seems to be so much more common.
Was it really this guy?

Sucker. I paid $104 for this flight last week and got the free upgrade! GF went out with three opens seats!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler;31177277I
say, "what do you want me to do, slam into you"? She tells me to go F myself.
Yes, that would be SFO.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I've always wondered why there's two moving walkways from those concourses and only one to... Any of you Bay area UA denizens know THE answer?
I think the rationale is that arrivals result in big masses of passengers all at once, versus a more steady stream who are heading to the boarding gate.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm on a moving walkway in the international terminal (SFO) in my way to the gate for a United flight. This lady, in front of me, getting off the walkway, drops her bag and bends over to collect her stuff, blocking most of the exit to the walkway.

It's a moving walkway, and she is RIGHT at the exit, so I'm going to bump into her if I don't react. So I move to the left edge of the wakway and step around her to get off the walkway. She turns to me, and says, "step over me, why don't you?". I say, "what do you want me to do, slam into you"? She tells me to go F myself. I smile, make a comment about her lack of intelligence under my breath, and continue on to the gate.

Fun times...
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

OP - tell her if she'll wait there, you'll go back around and slam into her if it makes her feel better.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, that would be SFO.

I think the rationale is that arrivals result in big masses of passengers all at once, versus a more steady stream who are heading to the boarding gate.
Which moving walkways? I'm not picturing it. For departures, I thought whichever direction you go, there is always only one going 'forward', and that one is to the right. For arrivals, I thought there were two in one direction and none, rather than one, in the other.

(This is in the international G terminal being discussed, right?)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:15 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, that would be SFO.

Aren't the bouncy walkways fun? They're like mini trampolines and always make me feel like a kid using them.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by helvetic
Aren't the bouncy walkways fun? They're like mini trampolines and always make me feel like a kid using them.
If/when they get renov-graded (up? down? side?)-graded I will be sad. My wife thought I was loosing it on our way back from Tokyo when i just did a few laps bouncing my way down the moving trampolines before our flight the rest of the way home. Some of my most vivid early flying memories are passing through SFO on my way to visit my grandparents (MFR) or the return. Wow 25+ that was years ago. I'm getting old.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by fumje
Which moving walkways? I'm not picturing it. For departures, I thought whichever direction you go, there is always only one going 'forward', and that one is to the right. For arrivals, I thought there were two in one direction and none, rather than one, in the other.

Going out to the rotunda in T3, there's 1. Coming towards baggage claim, there are 2. The right one goes about 10 feet further
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Going out to the rotunda in T3, there's 1. Coming towards baggage claim, there are 2. The right one goes about 10 feet further
Ah, not the international terminal then. Funny, it never registered to me that one went further than the other.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. I was in the walkway going out towards the end of the concourse... gate 102

When I said I moved to the left, I don't mean that I switched walkways (that would not be possible). Just that the lady was blocking most of the end of the walkway, so I moved to the leftmost part and squeezed by her (without making any contact)

The other options would have been to start walking backwards on the walkway (to stay in place), or just to run her over.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
I miss those at EWR . . . gave you a brief Tigger moment
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:20 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Was it really this guy?

Sucker. I paid $104 for this flight last week and got the free upgrade! GF went out with three opens seats!
Yes, really that guy. I know his $2,500 (let alone "three grand") was a made up number or involved a much more notable RT because I was on a OW D fare for $700 booked about 72 hours out. Full F on that route rarely gets over $1,200 OW IME.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bouncy like those at CDG?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
If/when they get renov-graded (up? down? side?)-graded I will be sad. My wife thought I was loosing it on our way back from Tokyo when i just did a few laps bouncing my way down the moving trampolines before our flight the rest of the way home. Some of my most vivid early flying memories are passing through SFO on my way to visit my grandparents (MFR) or the return. Wow 25+ that was years ago. I'm getting old.
Same here - I grew up going to that terminal too. After the merger walked one of those walkways for the first time in over 15 years and it was a rush of nostalgia. Heck the whole terminal itself looks about the same, and frankly holds up well. High ceilings, lots of light, spacious waiting areas.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:31 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Ah, not the international terminal then. Funny, it never registered to me that one went further than the other.
The 2 are parallel, it's not one going forward. It looks like this:

<----------------
<----------------

----------------->

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.