Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Tizzette
A guy took my bag out of a bin and moved it across the aisle a couple of rows behind me to make space for his. If I had not seen him doing it, I would been in a total panic when we landed and I found my bag missing. I spoke up and of course he lied and said he would have told me but he had no way of knowing who to tell. It still makes me mad to think about it.
Fundamental breach of protocol. If the aircraft was a ship then keelhauling would have been the correct punishment. Mr. Christian!!!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coercive seat poacher

TPE-SFO (Polaris seats):

Just before boarding, more than ten non-rev passengers clear into J, including some odd-numbered window seats.

GS preboards, seats himself in 5A.

Passenger who lined up in Group 1 boards, brandishes her BP for 5A, says to seat-occupier, that's my seat.

Fake-5A claims he thought he had sat in 4A.

True-5A says no, gestures to placards.

Fake-5A says OK, hesitates, and then asks if True-5A wouldn't mind swapping since 'his stuff is all there already'.

True-5A explains the difference between 5A and 4A, including that 5A has windows.

Fake-5A stands up, reaches over to close the 4A cubby door and show that 4A has half of a window.

True-5A says something in a dissatisfied tone.

Fake-5A waits.

True-5A says nevermind, accepts swap.

Fake-5A says, Are you sure?, It's an expensive seat, I want to be sure you're happy.

True-5A wants nothing more to do with Fake-5A.

The poacher's appeal sounded disingenuous, and I'd imagine someone flying enough to be granted GS status should be familiar enough with aircraft to find the right seat. ​​​​​I would have liked to have said something to put things right, but couldn't think of a way to insert myself into the situation.

Last edited by fumje; Apr 5, 2019 at 12:45 pm Reason: clarify emphasis
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I've lost seats like that but thankfully it wasn't on an airplane and the ride only lasted 2 hours.
She had the audacity to tap on my phone while I was still looking at it seated with ear buds in.

Later I checked my own "boarding pass" and it turns out I was in the right seat all along, but she just wanted the window seat.
I didn't want anything to do with this person so I waited until I got off and all she said was "Oh".
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
TPE-SFO (Polaris seats):

Just before boarding, more than ten non-rev passengers clear into J, including some odd-numbered window seats.

Passenger who lined up in Group 1 boards, brandishes her BP for 5A, says to seat-occupier, that's my seat.

Fake-5A says OK, hesitates, and then asks if True-5A wouldn't mind swapping since 'his stuff is all there already'.

True-5A explains the difference between 5A and 4A, including that 5A has windows.

Fake-5A stands up, reaches over to close the 4A cubby door and show that 4A has half of a window.

Fake-5A waits.

Fake-5A says, Are you sure?, It's an expensive seat, I want to be sure you're happy.

The poacher's appeal sounded disingenuous, and I'd imagine someone flying enough to be granted GS status should be familiar enough with aircraft to find the right seat. ​​​​​I would have liked to have said something to put things right, but couldn't think of a way to insert myself into the situation.
I probably would have said something like, "I usually ask the FA to help me in these situations, would you like me to get one?" Do agree it is difficult to insert yourself and agree a GS should know better.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I probably would have said something like, "I usually ask the FA to help me in these situations, would you like me to get one?" Do agree it is difficult to insert yourself and agree a GS should know better.
Good suggestion, and I'll have to keep that one in my catalogue.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
That's quite sad.
The bully just got confirmation of a successful tactic, and will continue to impose on other travelers like that in the future.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: United 1K
TPE-SFO (Polaris seats):

Fake-5A waits.

this is insane and it angers me that a GS would try to forcibly pressure someone to switch seats with them.
"clearly, you know 5A is a more desirable seat, and you're trying to pressure this passenger into switching with you. should i call the FA over?"

feels a bit like cornering someone and repeatedly asking them to go on a date with you until they acquiesce.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beeasyed
it angers me that a GS would try to forcibly pressure someone to switch seats with them
I think the focus on "GS" here is distracting. We are not our status. The poacher was a jerk, regardless of status.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the focus on "GS" here is distracting. We are not our status. The poacher was a jerk, regardless of status.
agree. i use "a GS" here just to refer to the individual, not as a negative label.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
"Get out of my seat!" also works well when it's an obnoxious poacher who obviously knows what they are doing. Honestly I just don't have any patience with those people - another reason I try to board as early as possible.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
"Get out of my seat!" also works well when it's an obnoxious poacher who obviously knows what they are doing. Honestly I just don't have any patience with those people - another reason I try to board as early as possible.
Regrettably, in this case, a show of force would have been the only way to get this bully to go to their proper seat.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I like public shaming when dealing with a self-entitled jerk like that. "I'm sorry you unpacked everything and got yourself settled in my seat but an experienced traveler like you must know that people select seats for a reason. I appreciate the fact you like my seat, I chose it for a reason and it's too bad you didn't select it first but don't give me your song-and-dance or try to bully me, just get out of my seat please."
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I like public shaming when dealing with a self-entitled jerk like that. "I'm sorry you unpacked everything and got yourself settled in my seat but an experienced traveler like you must know that people select seats for a reason. I appreciate the fact you like my seat, I chose it for a reason and it's too bad you didn't select it first but don't give me your song-and-dance or try to bully me, just get out of my seat please."
Love the presentation and would definitely say that, but I would need to pull a card out of my wallet to read it to them as I wouldn't be able to memorize that. I think that would even be better... Tell the offending passenger "hold on a second I have to get something out of my wallet/purse.. then begin to read from the laminated card" That would make them think twice/thrice..
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
While the voice inside my head would be thinking of all kinds of snarky responses, I would suggest that this is neither the time nor the place to act on those impulses. Politely standing your ground should be all that is necessary, following up by asking an FA to intervene if that does not work.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by 1kBill
While the voice inside my head would be thinking of all kinds of snarky responses, I would suggest that this is neither the time nor the place to act on those impulses. Politely standing your ground should be all that is necessary, following up by asking an FA to intervene if that does not work.
Ok, I was being a bit over dramatic, but there are MANY mentions on multiple threads from different airlines here where the FA just doesn't care and doesn't want anything to do with it. So you either deal with it yourself in a "polite" manner or succumb. Yeah of course you can email 1k, GS, DL Diamond, DL 360, AA EXP, AA CK, etc.. If the FA gives a shrug and a "not my problem" which looks like the norm now then what do you do? You start any kind of scruff on a plane today and it is your fault and the others no matter what. Polite only works with other polite people, the rest could not give a damn and take advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.